Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newnamesaul ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 01:41AM

Do you guys ever just wake up after an hour of falling asleep and have an undying need to just go eat something sweet? Man, I have had thayne happen a lot this month. I need to start keeping some candy or ice cream for nights like this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 03:20AM

We have some good medical professionals here who I invite to correct me if I am wrong, but my first response is...

Could you be having blood sugar problems?

It sounds to me like you are "crashing" (in the sense that your blood sugar "suddenly" feels like it has plummeted)...which could mean that you are choosing the wrong foods (too many carbs...too-easily-digested carbs like simple sugars and refined flours...or your total food intake in any meal or snack is not being properly balanced between protein, fats, and carbs...)

The bottom line, if what I am thinking could be true for you, is that you need to see if you have any diabetic issues going on.

This is layperson advice only, so anyone who is more knowledgeable than I am, please add your perspective. :)

(If it could be that you are just hungry, try a spoonful of almond butter, or NuttZo, or peanut butter...followed by a cup of hot (but drinkable temperature!!) green tea. This should help. If it doesn't, it is time to begin checking to see if you have blood sugar issues.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2016 12:51PM by Tevai.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 05:29AM

Before electricity was installed nationally and even as recently as victorian times the human sleeping patterns were different. People used to sleep in two blocks and quite often rise for a wander or a midnight snack before returning to bed for another 'long sleep'.

It is our modern life that dictates we have a 'long' sleep at night and work all day - humans were never programmed like that - think of babies and training them to have one long sleep during the night rather than waking in the middle of the night for refreshment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

This being said, tevai is correct that a sudden craving for sweet foods is normally a signal that your blood sugar level has dropped, so your diet may be to blame for your interruption of sleep patterns. Our bodies sleep better when our stomach has something to work on, but not too much to work on.

If this is something new and it continues, get a health check as it could be a warning sign of things to come that can be prevented or managed.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 05:34AM

You might try a snack about an hour before you go to bed. I often have a tall glass of milk and a cookie or something similar.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.