Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kolonko ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 12:03AM

Sorry for silly questions but do mormon children have to pay tithing on pocket money. Than if such a child is given allowances from state (or charity) does it have to tithe. Also if someone is adult but disabled, can not work and has money donated by either family, charities or state how about tithing. If one is not receiving pension from state (for example because of living in a failed state) but from charity, church or close family member does such a person has to tithe. And lastly if someone doesn't have money but earns/receives support in kind for example state/charity or employer provides him with food can this be given to church in such a form or one has to sell it and than donate the money. What if one is given a chicken. Should one tithe a breast or thigh or 1/10 of each meat part.

And as you read it please remeber there are no stupid questions. There are only stupid people :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rolled tacos on a sunday ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 12:12AM

Yeah ive heard of some grandparents giving kids b day money and making them tithe off of it

Posted by: kolonko ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 12:18AM

If I was a mormon child I would tell my grandparents "only bike or watch as gift". Than what would the bishop do, take away a freakin wheel?. Ok I do not want a bike why do I need a bike if I have to tithe a wheel out of it. I want a freaking teddy bear. Deal with it LDS. :)

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 01:14AM

Back in the day when I was a small child, I remember going with my Parents to see the bishop. It was cold so it must have been Winter. I had received $10 for my birthday 6 months earlier and my Mom loaned me a dollar so I could hand it to the bishop. It was called tithing and I had to work if off doing chores for my Mom. I barely remember it, but that was my introduction to giving money to the mighty morg.

So, to answer the post, yes little kids paid a tithing. At least I did and I had no choice.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 03:04AM

I was forced to pay tithing on any money I was gifted or earned as a kid. I still remember the carbon copy tithing 'receipts'.

A few months ago I gave my nephew $20 for his birthday. His parents are ex-mo. My other nephew (in a TBM family) says to him you gotta pay tithing on that! So indoctrinated at such a young age it's scary!

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 04:35AM

on one of the rare occasions we got pocket money from a relative - and promptly spent it on sweeties, as children do, my mother tried to convince my elder brother and I that since we'd been baptsised we should tithe on our sweetie money. I thought that ridiculous and replied with 'no way - it's a gift, not earnings!'. Even then we knew the difference between 'income' and 'random gift' and tithing was for income, ie earnings, as we had been taught in primary, not for 'gifts'. The guilt did not work and worse - we "sinned our souls" to spend the money on sweets on a sunday, no less.

Come to think of it, that was our first act of direct disobedience concerning 'church standards' - it was the start of a downward cycle in my parents' eyes. I could never understand the church wanting a share of kids' sweetie money as it was a rarity.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 03:11PM

When I was a child, my grandmother always sent me a five dollar bill in a card for my birthday. My mother always took it and made change so that I could pay the 50 cents I owed for tithing.

I remember being lectured in tithing settlement by the bishop when my barely three-year-old didn't bring any money to pay tithing for the year. Never mind that for most of the year my son was two and at that age he was the type of kid who was still putting money in his mouth. So giving him any money was a little dangerous.

In Mormonism, when there's a question about whether or not you should pay tithing on certain funds, the answer ALWAYS is to pay tithing.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 03:33PM

It was continually drummed into all us members that you are tithed on your "increase".

So what constitutes increase? Well, we were taught that, basically, it is any cash that comes your way, from *whatever* source.

Gift? That's increase - pay tithing.

Wages? That's increase - pay tithing.

State benefits? That's increase - pay tithing.

Compensation? That's increase - pay tithing.

Sickness payments? That's increase - pay tithing.

Charitable relief? That's increase - pay tithing.

You get the picture.

No matter what the source of ANY monies you get, the Church wants it's cut.

Look on the bright side, though: at least you won't get set fire to at the Last Day.

Posted by: boringperson ( )
Date: November 05, 2016 03:28AM

money that you already paid tithing on, but are now pulling out of savings to survive on? = increase.

Date: November 05, 2016 05:14AM

The Church wil answer along the lines of "it is money coming your way - pay your tithing!"

In a word: yes.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 03:53PM

Mormon kids need to lawyer up!

If one of your mo relatives gives you a cash gift, it is likely that the relative paid thing on it when they received it. So, to make a kid tithe on it again is double dipping by the church...

Class action, I'd say...

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 04:01PM

This tithing thing goes to extortion.

If I threaten harm to you or your family, now or in the future, unless you donate 10% of your gross revenue to my organization That is EXTORTION.

Example: You must go to the temple to retain your family in the hereafter. If you do not go to the temple your family will be taken from you in the hereafter.

In order to go to the temple you have to give 10% of your annual revenue to the church.
If you don't your family will be taken away in the hereafter.

That is most blatant extortion.

Date: November 02, 2016 06:06PM

desertman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This tithing thing goes to extortion.
> That is most blatant extortion.

It's the same with the promise to tithe payers that they will not be burned as stubble by the Destroying Angel at the Last Day.

If I were to say to someone "I want ten percent of everything you get, otherwise at some point I'm going to come round and set fire to you" then I could reasonably expect to be in bother. I would expect to get my collar felt and be subsequently had up on a charge of 'demanding money with menaces'.

And rightly so.

In England such a charge carries a hefty gaol sentence.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 06:07PM

I agree that there is an element of extortion in tithing.

The Mormon church could quite easily clarify that tithing is not expected on child support, disability payments, Social Security, etc., but church authorities choose not to out of GREED. The church prefers that members worry and tithe on basic support payments anyway.

Greedy, greedy, greedy church.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 04:22PM

Before governments took over 'poor relief', the only welfare available to the poor was from their own church. The church would not hand out welfare with one hand, then expect the beneficiary to pay tithing on the same to the other hand. That just makes no sense at all.

With this in mind I disagree with tithing on benefits. Any form of welfare or state subsidiary is in effect 'poor relief' and I do not agree with the church encouraging members to pay 10% tithing on any state welfare or pension or grant or whatever that they receive because of their income. It is taxing poor relief which is given by the state in place of the (any) church welfare.

Tax payers would be very put out if they knew the church happily received, and worse encouraged, members to pay tithing from taxpayer funded benefits.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 06:46PM

Great news! I can save you and everyone else big bucks on your tithing! Here's how:

Divide what you normally tithe in half. Put half in your pocket. Send the other half to:

getbusylivin
trailer 12A
Celestial Kingdom Trailer Court and Food Mart
233199837 Frontage Road East
Presendia Lathrop Huntington Gulch, UT 83902

Cash only, please. Unmarked tens and twenties are best.

"You Can Trust Me--I'm Mormon!"

Date: November 06, 2016 09:35AM

Holy Cow, We are in the same trailer court. What a small world we live in. I'm in 44A, the blue & white single-wide next to the playground. You might even be my Home Teacher.

And, I especially like your idea, of saving big bucks. Can I walk it over instead of mailing it? That will save me even more money. This is awesome!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 06:50PM

Yup.

My aunt gave us $11.11

$10 for us

$1 for thithing

.10 tithing on the dollar

.01 tithing on the dime

Posted by: brianberkeley ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 03:04AM

I never paid one cent of my money to tithing, and I'm proud of it. Fuck the church.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 05, 2016 08:50PM

Stupid People ask stupid questions. They have little choice(s). This clearly isn't a stupid question but what difference will it make when you learn the LDS "church" will take what they can extract from you, or whatever you give them, whichever is greater.

Posted by: That guy ( )
Date: November 05, 2016 08:54PM

My friends father in law passed and left 100k cash to his daughter.
He told the daughter he had paid tithing on the 100k before he died. ( This was money he already tithed btw)
upon receiving the gift his daughter paid $10k on the gift
and gave the remaining $90k to her four tbm sons. The four TBM sons paid tithing on the gift that their mother had given.
$2,250 each and then each son gave their children $5000 for college funds with a stipulation they pay tithing on it so an other $2k from the grand kids.
Tithing its the gift that keeps on giving ... to the Church

$11,000 grandpa
$10,000 daughter
$9,000 sons
$2,500 grand kids

$32,500 to the Church-- that's nearly 33%

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: November 06, 2016 05:55AM

The tithing scam is what led me out of the church.

Posted by: paulk ( )
Date: November 06, 2016 08:55AM

Last week we had tithing settlement with our current bishop. He bore his testimony that as we pay a full tithe the windows of heaven will be opened upon us. I was just thinking to myself, "yeah well last year you gave my wife a calling that caused a breakdown and a hospitalization." I was paying dutifully on my gross income at the time.

Now I follow a different plan. I haven't stopped completely, because that would cause a lot of acrimony between my wife and me. But I reduced it to net and I "deduct" like a tax deduction. If we paid an extra $500 in counseling for her, I deduct that. If the ward budget gets cut and the kids have to pay an extra $100 for a camp, I deduct that. Since we had tithing settlement in October, I might "forget" to pay for November and December. My goal is to pay enough to fly under the radar, but as little as possible. I'd love to bring that up with my wife, but her emotional state isn't good enough for me to feel comfortable with that right now.

Date: November 06, 2016 09:42AM

Back in the day, I tried the "deduction" method and at first my wife agreed as it made perfect sense. Then she had a chat with the bishop about it and I was informed that we would not be itemizing our tithing anymore. In fact, if 10% was good, then 20% would be even better. Jesus, you can't win.

Posted by: paulk ( )
Date: November 06, 2016 08:53AM

Here's a true story that happened to me. It's actually probably different than what you are expecting.

About 12 years ago, when the housing bubble was at its peak we sold our first starter house for a pretty good profit. I dutifully wrote a rather large tithing check and turned it in.

The Bishop called us into his office and said he couldn't cash our check. He said it wasn't really an increase as we would be using that money toward the purchase of our next home, which also had an inflated value.'

It was actually a huge sense of relief because it would allow us to move up to a slightly better home/neighborhood that we were previously considering. He was a good dude.

Anyway, we bought a new home and a little while later my militant ultra-TBM mother-in-law found out we hadn't paid tithing on the profit from our previous house sale. She blew a gasket and did all the typical fussing about if we were being righteous enough, if our blessings would be taken away etc.

So here's my ultra-TBM mother-in-law not following the Church's own teaching that members follow their leaders from the local all the way up to the Prophet and thinking she knows better than them.

Date: November 06, 2016 09:50AM

I stand in awe at your bishop who returned your check on the proceeds of your home. He is the exception in my opinion. As for the Ultra-TBM Mother-in-Law, Yikes! She seems like the kind of person who hates to see someone have a bit of good luck. I bet she burns ants with a magnifying glass out front on the sidewalk.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: November 06, 2016 09:29AM

When I first joined the church ,I had a little money left in my account from my grandma for my college , since I went to a junior college , I had money left over. I asked him if I should pay tithing on that too or just my job.
He told me that I only had to pay on what I earned after I joined.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.