Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dontwantittosuffer ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 02:18PM

Quite a while ago, a cat showed up in my driveway. It does not like to have me get close to it and I don't really know anything about cats, but it looks to be elderly and not in very good shape (noisy breathing, thin, scraggly fur, it's not blind but doesn't seem to see very well). I felt like it was starving and it just kept hanging around and crying so I started feeding it cat food and it's always wolfed down the food and then bolted away. So I suddenly didn't see it for a couple days and then noticed it was just laying up on a high shelf in my garage. It didn't want to be enticed down with food, so I climbed up and put some food right beside it and it wasn't interested, even after I gave it the space it always wants and checked later to see if it had eaten it. I noticed its breathing was noisier than the regular noisy it's been ever since it showed up. I warmed up some chicken broth and put a couple of pieces of leftover meat in it and offered that, but it only drank maybe a teaspoon of the broth and then lost interest and actually got up and moved away from the bowl and laid down on a different shelf (bowl looks the same after I gave the cat space and checked later to see if it ate/drank once I wasn't in the garage). It doesn't seem to be injured, coughing, sneezing, having runny eyes, puking or anything. Just lethargic, no appetite, and extra noisy breathing. I don't want it to suffer. Maybe cats just get colds and feel under the weather like humans and it just needs to rest and wait it out? Feels yucky due to complications of age? Anyone have ideas on how I can help it, keeping in mind it does not let me to try to touch it (and I'm not sure I should touch it anyway if it's sick)? Thanks for any ideas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mandy ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 02:27PM

All I know is that I had my cat die not to long ago. He had some kind of disease of his pancreas? His symptoms sound the same. Loud laborious breathing, no appetite, lathargy. Once he got to that point he only lasted about a day. :(

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 02:33PM

That cat is in pretty bad shape. Animals typically hide illness, because it makes them vulnerable to predators. If you can tell the cat is in bad shape, he may not be long for this world. He may be looking for a quiet place to die. Outdoor cats usually live 7 years or so, whereas indoor cats live 15-20 years.

If you really want to help, get him to the Vet ASAP. Maybe he can help him. Of course, this won't be cheap, so it depends on your commitment.

We did this years ago. We took in a stray who was in bad shape. We took him to the vet, who gave him some fluids and a shot. The poor thing lasted another week. My mom thought it was a waste of money, but at least he died in comfort.

It's up to you how involved you want to get, but it doesn't sound hopeful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2016 02:33PM by axeldc.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 02:33PM

I don't know much about cats, but it sounds as if it's dying and wants to find a safe place to spend it's final hours. You're very kind to try to save the cat, and maybe it's doable. I guess time will tell.

I guess you could try to trap the cat and take it to a vet. But I suspect it's pretty sick.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 03:13PM

I would keep offering the broth. Short of taking the cat to the vet, there is probably not much more you can do. She's hiding in the garage because cats tend to hide in a safe spot when they are not feeling well. The garage, the basement, or under the house are frequent choices.

There are many reasons why an animal might not be eating. The animal may have ingested something rancid or poisonous. One or more organs (i.e. the liver) might be shutting down. The animal may have advanced diabetes. Etc.

You could try calling a local cat rescue. The rescue may be able to assist you.

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 03:47PM

Cats hide illness symptoms until they're so severe that they can't hide them anymore.

My suggestion is to continue the broth or some regular water, and if you can, a single spoonful of canned cat food, and observe what happens. The cat will move away from the food to rest (they generally don't want to sit right next to it).

I would also contact your local vet and describe what you're seeing as far as symptoms to get some further insight on how to proceed.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 03:57PM

It sounds like the kitty is dying. Just keep giving it water and broth if thats all it seems to be taking.

It is very very nice of you to take care of this kitty.
Not everyone would take the time to do it.

If it's only sick it will get well but if it's dying its
going to die pretty soon it sounds like.

Please let us know ok?

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 04:37PM

How kind you are to care for this poor, suffering creature. Having had cats my entire life, I do think he/she is dying. I'm glad it has a quiet place to rest and a sweet person like you to extend comfort.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2016 04:38PM by aquarius123.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 04:59PM

The noisy breathing could be pneumonia, as I had a cat die at nearly 16 from that. I'm only guessing since I'm not a vet, just what I observed before taking that cat to the vet for the last time.

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 05:05PM

If you can afford it, I would take the cat to the vet. If he is beyond help or you dont want the expense, they can put him down so he wont suffer. You could also try the Humane Society. Locally, they offer care for surrendered animals or will but them down humanely if they cant be saved. Symptoms could be pneumonia or even heart failure.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 06:45PM

Try using some tobacco.....oh, wait, that's for sick cattle.

Never mind.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 07:02PM

Hard for anyone to diagnose just from a list of symptoms or observing from a distance. As with humans there are tests and diagnosis tools a vet can use to sort out the possible diseases this cat may or may not have. Unfortunately all that costs money (trust me, we've gone through it with our family's cats over the years), and from the sounds of it this cat is in pretty bad shape and won't survive long so making it comfortable and safe from attack (by other strays/dog/coyote) is probably the best you can do.

Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 08:14PM

Some strays are very salvagable with a little love and care. Maybe there is a local no-kill shelter that could get him vet care. I'd get him to a vet, one way or another, either by taking him to a good shelter, or take him yourself if you can. If you know what his true condition is, then you can make decisions from there.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 08:23PM

I would get it into a vet ASAP. There may be an animal shelter near you that will help you deflect some of the cost for that.

The cat sounds like it's dying. There may not be anything you can do but to help it be more comfortable if that's possible.

One of my children's cats recently died from feline leukemia. It just waned in its last couple of months. It became very lethargic and droopy until it just didn't wake up one morning.

The symptoms you describe sounds quite a bit like my child's cat.

Date: November 03, 2016 08:35PM

I have a feline right now that is nearly feral, who I adopted from the animal shelter a couple months ago. She won't let me touch her or pet her, and she hasn't purred once since she came home.

To get her inside a crate to take her to the vet I have to trick her by placing food in the far end of the crate. She goes inside to eat, and that's when I shut the door on her behind.

My vet told me he'd take her right back to the shelter if he were me, because she isn't going to get any better than she is right now. I'm still trying to decide whether or when to take her back. I feel sorry for her because she may not make it if I take her back. She isn't good around children, and an old person or someone who doesn't understand a special needs cat isn't going to be able to handle her. She lunges at me when I feed her. I have to scare her away long enough to place her food on the floor, so she doesn't jump me trying to get at it lol. Then she'll race to the dish once the coast is clear.

She's real pretty - a blue point Siamese. I think she was either abused or severely neglected where she came from. The SPCA told me she came from a hoarder's house. She was starved when I got her. Now she's gained several pounds, with an appetite like a dog. I measure her feedings, but she's constantly hungry. If I fed her what she really wanted, she'd be a fat cat.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2016 08:56PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 08:37PM

Again, you should try to make contact with Jackson Galaxy and see if he can help you out.
http://jacksongalaxy.com/

Date: November 03, 2016 08:39PM

Thanks Itzi. I didn't see that link before. Will check it out.

My vet's an expert on cats. He could tell right away that this one isn't going to be socialized ever.

He said he's had blue point Siamese for pets, and that their personalities are not at all consistent with hers.

According to him, the animal shelter misrepresented the cat to me. Because he works closely with them and the community, I trust his expert opinion. It's a "no kill" facility. He said they'll place it again. I just feel bad for the cat. If she attacks someone then she'll be put down for aggression.

My vet's assistant had to wear long canvas gloves to handle her in the exam room.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2016 09:01PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: November 05, 2016 05:18PM

I love Siamese cats. I also had a blue point Siamese when I was in high school. I loved that cat. She was my cat and everyone could tell it. She didn't let people that she didn't know get close to her . She followed me everywhere. She slept with me every night. She was at the bus stop everyday waiting for me when I hit off the bus. My mom said that she knew exactly when it was ready ge me to come home, as she would cry very loudly by the front door , to be let out about 10 -15 minutes before my bs came.
She was very playful. She was more like a dog than cat. She was a traditional Siamese , not those skinny ones with a wedge shaped head.She was a very pretty bluish grey colour.

Date: November 05, 2016 06:16PM

His name was Talon and was a polydactyl. Wonderful kitty, the only one my father ever bonded with, as my dad didn't like cats all that much. He unfortunately ended up with a blinded eye from a catfight, but he was no less loveable. He, too, would wait for me every day after school and gently bite my nose and my sister's nose when it was time to get up. My heart broke when he disappeared.
:,(

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: November 05, 2016 06:40PM

Yeah, what is it about cats and biting the nose ? Mine liked licking me on the face with her sandpapered tongue and if I laughed, she'd gently bite my nose, well , more likely , just put her teeth gently on my nose , using no pressure.

Date: November 05, 2016 07:08PM

Cats like to give love bites to their preferred humans. Think of it as a toothy kiss or hug. My Maine Coon mix snuggles right next to my head and licks my face in the morning, which is a grooming ritual and also a sign of love and affection. Another sign of love is when a cat's tail is straight up and quivers at the sight of you.

I'll never understand why people think cats are cold, indifferent unsociable creatures; They are simply selective about these behaviours.

Date: November 03, 2016 08:30PM

It's serious, most likely on the way out. Cats are tough, they will hide their pain/illness, and the way you describe this poor kitty, it doesn't sound good. My sister's cat, Hobbes, went through a stage being sick, vet care, then eating again, got sicker, then got a little better, then only drank water/broth, then finally gave up the ghost. It broke my heart when my mom finally told me about it.

See if there's a vet in town that works with strays, but if the only thing you can do is provide some comfort for this kitty's last days, that's enough. It sounds like a combination of neglect, mange, various parasites, and some kind of upper respiratory infection. :,(

Date: November 03, 2016 08:51PM

It depends. Some cats recover quite nicely with proper veterinary care. But with a feral cat, who knows.

When my cat's appetite was seriously off due to worsening diabetes, the vet gave him an appetite stimulant shot, special food, and I think some meds. He recovered well, and I started treatment for his diabetes soon afterward. Another family cat recovered after being rehydrated with an IV.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2016 08:51PM by summer.

Date: November 03, 2016 08:56PM

Cats do make remarkable recoveries with proper care in time. They really are the most amazing predators IMNSHO.

Date: November 03, 2016 09:08PM

>>I hate to give anyone false hope...

I know.

The funny thing is that the vet who treated my diabetic cat is a bit of a tough old bird who has a reputation for being crotchety. But I could tell that she was very concerned about my cat's lack of appetite, and she was rather soft and maternal with him, like a mama trying to get her little kidlet to eat.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 08:38PM

It appears that this is a feral cat. They are born and live outdoors away from people. They will eat food put out for them, usually when the human leaves. They will run from people and not allow contact.

It could belong to someone but it doesn't sound likely.

This one appears to be very ill.
You could call the local shelters and see if anyone can help you trap the cat and get it to the vet for treatment.
Check a around, there maybe someone that can assist you. Trapping a cat is most likely your only way to get proper care.

Date: November 04, 2016 01:10PM

Update, since someone requested that I follow up:

It came out of the garage and into the sun today and walked around a little. I set a little canned food out and then went inside to watch from the window. I did see it eat a little of the food and took a drink of water, better than it's intake yesterday at least. I hope it's improving and is not unbearably miserable.

Date: November 04, 2016 09:04PM

dontwantittosuffer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Update, since someone requested that I follow up:
>
> It came out of the garage and into the sun today
> and walked around a little. I set a little canned
> food out and then went inside to watch from the
> window. I did see it eat a little of the food and
> took a drink of water, better than it's intake
> yesterday at least. I hope it's improving and is
> not unbearably miserable.

You can call your local animal rescue or a vet. and see if there is anyone that can help you.
There may be someone that can help you trap the cat and get proper care for it.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 01:59PM

Based on the upate, you may have saved this cat already. Anorexia in cats can cause multiple organ failure within 48-72 hours. I had a cat who wouldn't eat because he was dying and when I hit the 24-hour mark with no eating, I knew it was near time. (We put him down not much longer after that.) If you have a low-cost spay/neuter clinic in your area, or even the county shelter has vets, you might scoop 'im up and drop him off and hope for the best. If you're a cat lover and you can spare the cost, take him to a good local vet (not that shelter vets aren't good; they're excellent, but they're not magicians) and see how it's doing. It might be too late, but if he's eating and drinking, maybe not. I wouldn't question spending the money for a quality-of-life eval, but I'm a sucker for critters and I'd have taken this one to my vet and spent a fortune already. That's just me.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 03:43PM

Wow. That's good news. I sure hope the cat makes it.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 06:47PM

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 09:30PM

The cat was already a decade old when she adopted it, and then she went and married a guy who is allergic to cats, so we got "Goober." Goober is a Maine Coon, very much lacking in the IQ department.

My kind-hearted DH spoils him - buys baby food canned meat, gives him extra rations of canned cat food (Goober won't eat crumblies any more) but Goober's increasing lethargy and recalcitrance to eat much of anything is very upsetting for DH.

He has finally gotten to the point where he is willing to have the cat put down as long as he isn't the one who has to do it. My daughter and I will take care of it. Our neighbor is a vet and has euthanized many animals for us. She is very humane and caring.

Goober and his finicky eating habits have annoyed me for so many years that I will not be sorry to see him go. I only feel bad that DH will miss him.

Date: November 05, 2016 03:48PM

It is eating really well today, not picky about whether it's wet or dry cat food offered. Still looks kinda rough like it always has, but so much better. This cat honestly has some behaviors that I could do without (loves making super stinky poops in my flower garden or on the lawn right up close to my front door) and at times I have wished it hadn't picked my house to show up at, but I can't believe how happy (and surprised considering how awful it looked 2 days ago) I am to see that it's feeling better! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Date: November 05, 2016 04:48PM

I hope the cat continues to make a recovery. Keep encouraging it to eat and drink, if you didn't know, slowly blink while making eye contact until the kitty blinks back. It's a way of blowing a kiss to a cat. Don't give the cat any milk, but a piece of cheese here and there is okay.

Cats pick places and people with whom they feel the safest. My own home has become a kitty haven and the neighborhood cats keep dropping by to hang out. There's one that's hanging out in my bedroom right now that hasn't quite figured out if he/she can trust me or not. Took treats from my hands, let me pat the head, and played with a kitty toy for a bit, but grumbled and occasionally hissed intermittently, lol.

Cats are a mystery, but they can be understood if you know their language. The site I provided Amyjo might help you out with your issue as well.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 05, 2016 06:28PM

If you feed it Iams, the poop won't be as stinky. Also, if you have a kind of sandy spot in your yard that you don't care about, move the poop over to that spot. He might start using that instead of the spot he's using now.

The reward comes when you find dead rodents lined up in front of your door. Smile! it's a present!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2016 06:30PM by madalice.

Date: November 05, 2016 10:18PM

I fed my Siamese cat fresh scrambled eggs tonight. She loved them.

It's the first time she's actually eaten her fill without cleaning the bowl.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: November 06, 2016 03:08PM

Please be careful. You are more than likely dealing with a feral cat that has no shots. It probably doesn't have anything that you can catch, but not necessarily. You could become very sick if you come in contact with any bodily fluids or are accidentally scratched.

Call " No more Homeless Pets" and see if they can help. If they can't come right out, call Animal Control.

You are very kind and compassionate but it doesn't sound good and please be careful.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: November 06, 2016 03:37PM

If the cat is going to live, you must take it to the vet. If it has Feline HIV or leukemia it must me euthanized or it will spread the illness to other cats.

If it has not been spayed or neutered it must be or your feeding it will exacerbate the stray cat problem in your area as it will reproduce and more animals will live the miserable life of a stray. Usually, cities/counties have free/reduced price spay/neuter programs for feral animals. Catch, neuter and release back into the wild.

If the animal lives, please do the right thing and get these issues addressed.

Date: November 06, 2016 03:45PM

CateS

+1

Exactly. Excellent advice. It's the responsible thing to do!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.