Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: maxxedout ( )
Date: November 07, 2016 11:11PM

Was driving through Pakenham, a south east suburb of Melbourne (Victoria) Australia and saw a for sale sign on the Pakenham ward building. I had no idea the church rented large buildings. I knew they rented some of the smaller facilities when there wasn't the membership but this ward once met at the stake centre at Narre Warren so I'd assumed that moving a ward called Pakenham into its own suburb/town would have meant they moved to their own permanent ward building.

The advert is at http://gerardcollins.com.au/property/show-property/?listing_id=418703 and while you can't see a sign stating it is an LDS ward I can confirm it is. Looks like the church is paying $180,000 a year rent and it is for sale for $3mil so a yield of 6% plus the church pays outgoings. The church is renting it until May 2021 so no idea what they will do then.

Pakenham is not an affluent town so I can't imagine they'd even bring in that much in tithing to cover rent. No idea why they would have relocated from a rent free location unless too many people were complaining about the 25km trip to the stake centre.

Anyway, just thought it was interesting the church was paying so much for the building

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: silvergenie ( )
Date: November 08, 2016 04:57AM

Hmmm...interesting. Definitely does house the Pakenham Ward even though it does not look like your standard LDS cookie cutter type chapel and I too am surprised that the very money focused so called church would pay out such a large sum annually. Looks like it might have been a reception venue at some stage so am wondering if it might not have been owned by some rich church member who rented it out to the church. After all $180,000 a year is only $162,000 after they get back $18,000 in tithing.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 08, 2016 05:06AM

Hmm, that looks very similar to a church meeting house used in upstate New York, near Palmyra.

http://www.geneseony.com/business/photos/LatterDaySaints.jpg

This one didn't always feature the steeple. Picture it without the steeple, and they look very much the same. The steeple was an add-on.

Compare that to the Palmyra temple, that's a short distance away.

https://www.lds.org/bc/content/church/temples/palmyra-new-york/images/palmyra-new-york-808x480-0002096.jpg

Posted by: Anonomo ( )
Date: November 08, 2016 10:21AM

I spy an LDS hymnal.

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: November 08, 2016 12:11PM

Currently leased until 2021? That's planning ahead, I'll give them that much.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 08, 2016 10:14PM

Someone needs to turn it into a pub with a large FOSTERS sign on the steeple!

RB

Posted by: enemyofthechurch ( )
Date: November 10, 2016 05:02PM

Isn't the Q-15 wise in the use of our resources?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.