Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 10, 2016 07:52AM

'In a Philadelphia tavern on Nov. 10, 1775, the Marine Corps was established – today the military branch celebrates its 241st birthday.'

My birthson served for five years as a US Marine. Semper fi!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: John Wayne ( )
Date: November 10, 2016 07:58AM

Roses are red
And violets are green
Now get up off of your butt
And be a marine.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: November 11, 2016 12:24AM

We Navy guys can tell a few things about those darned Marines such as:

A Marine and a sailor were in the restroom of an airport doing their business when the sailor finishes and starts for the door, the Marine shouts out, "Hey sailor, in the Corps at boot camp they teach us to wash our hands after taking a piss." The sailor then turns and replies, "At Navy boot camp they teach not to piss all over our hands." Then the fight commenced.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2016 06:08PM by michaelc1945.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 10, 2016 08:12AM

Yeah, our Gyrenes here are all dressed up. They look pretty spiffy. There will be the usual cutting of the cake by the youngest and oldest. (For oldest, they usually invite some 80+ ringer from downtown somewhere, who fought in Korea or something. We have a number of 17-18 year-olds as candidates for youngest.)

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 10, 2016 09:47AM

I have to admit them Marines do look rather spiffy in their dress blues. Or blacks, or whatever they call it. I think it's definitely the classiest dress uniforms of all the branches of the service.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 10, 2016 10:03AM

Navy are the ones with black uniforms. They call them "Navy blue." Stupid squids. And Army and Navy and Air Force are always changing their uniforms, because some senior officers got their grubby fingers in the uniform manufacture business. But the Marines know a good thing, and have instituted very few changes. They still look grand. But they all pale next to the Brits. So sorry.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 10, 2016 05:33PM

Happy Birthday, US Marines!!!

:) :) :)

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: November 10, 2016 09:00PM

Happy Birthday, USMC!

Just knowing y'all are on the job helps a lot of us sleep better.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: November 10, 2016 09:07PM

A dear friend of mine was a Marine but unfortunately, he didn't make it home from Viet Nam :(

Semper fi, indeed, Amyjo, and thanks for sharing. Thank you also to your son for his service.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 10, 2016 09:13PM

Rarely a brotherhood as close, deep or long lasting as the USMC. Oorah!!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 10, 2016 09:53PM

Delta 1/4 3rd Mar.Div.

Marines love to grouse, bitch, and complain about the Corps. Just don't let one of us here you say the things we do!

Two widows, are talking.

Martha says, "That nice George Johnson asked me out for a date. I know you went out with him last week and I wanted to talk with you about him before I give him my answer."

Edna: "I'll tell you what haplpened. He shows up at my apartment punctually at 7 P.M. Dressed like a gentleman in a fine suit. And he brings me such beautiful flowers! He drove safely and all his conversation was intelligent and witty.

Then he takes me out for dinner. . .marvelous dinner - lobster. Then we go see a show. Let me tell you, Martha, I enjoyed it so much I could have just died from pleasure!

So then we are coming back to my apartment and he turns into an ANIMAL!!! Completely crazy. He tears off my expensive new dress and has his way with me two times! I had no idea he's a retired Marine!"

Martha: "Goodness gracious! . . so you are telling me I shouldn't go out with him?

Edna: "No . . . I'm just saying, wear an old dress."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2016 09:54PM by caffiend.

Posted by: cantsay ( )
Date: November 11, 2016 05:54AM

Nice!

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: November 13, 2016 03:31PM

I have a young-adult-age distant cousin who I haven't met, but according to his Facebook he just got discharge from his Marine duty. Wish him well!

Isn't he lucky he didn't grow up in Utah, where he'd be coerced into doing some other kind of "service"!

Date: November 13, 2016 05:53PM

Exactly.. my birthson went on his mission first, and then joined the Marines, before going A-Wall from religion altogether.

He got angry at the world - probably realized he'd been duped like the rest of us, and has been working through that and other issues since his mission.

Wish him well too.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: November 13, 2016 06:30PM

Once a Marine, always a Marine. I love their uniforms the best and their anthem , especially the last verse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLsX56u49nM&feature=share

Date: November 13, 2016 07:08PM

Oh my goodness. We sang that song in gradeschool. Hardly hear it anymore.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.