Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anti gman ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 12:27PM

Seems like posts and traffic is way down on Rfm over the last several weeks.

I think this is actually a good sign that Rfm is helping ex mormons, recovering Mormons and others to find peace.

Any other theory?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 12:34PM

Having been extremely involved in another cult's recovery board, I notice posts go up and down. Fact is, most of the issues have been discussed extensively by the old-timers, and as the newbies come up to speed or find their individual questions and needs are met, they taper off too. Then you get a spate of newcomers, and everybody starts answering their questions, which are really well-traveled ground. Posts then pick up.

An exception is when something really remarkable happens, such as a major historical discovery, a big change in the cult's doctrine or activity, a celebrity scandal, etc.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 12:55PM

As for me, I just started a new job at the Rioters Union, and I'm busy every night after work picking broken glass out of my feet.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 12:59PM

I won't do it (anybody reading this, blow 'em a kiss over there from me); Mormonism is essentially "devoid of boundaries," and my view is so is that fad...

Attendance at last month's Exmormon Conference seemed down to me from last year (which was huge), but who knows? Last year's program was magnificent; I could only make one session this year, however.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: November 14, 2016 12:10PM

Attendance was down slightly over last year, but then again our keynote last year was an exmo GA, lol.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 01:08PM

Yeah, I still pop in several times per day, but I don't seem to have as much to say anymore. I'm staying connected, but I'm a little quieter, I guess. I'm focusing on other things, which as you said is not such a bad thing.

I don't really care about Mormonism so much anymore, but I still care about people who are trying to transition out.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 01:11PM

It could be. Somehow the Morg leaders have managed not to be too controversial the last couple of weeks, its only a matter of time before more shit is spread. Then traffic will go up.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 01:25PM

This week: "Average successful requests per day: 160,418"

Three weeks ago we were at 250,000+ before I left to help my mother in Florida.

The distinct hosts served is currently at 35,000 this week. That is 35,000 unique IPs have been here. We average between 37,000 to 40,000 so that is down a bit. I believe the election has had many occupied. I, for one, want to take a break from the news from all sources after this election. I believe that feeling is common.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 01:31PM

Those numbers are actually astounding. I never once think there is a silent audience reading when I write something. I wouldn't write a word if I did.

Thank you very much for this place, Eric.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 05:48PM

You can't say "election," Eric, because politics.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 01:35PM

Weeelllll, it HAS been an extraordinary week. I suspect many of us are spending our posting time where we can understand and absorb the current issues and the impact they could have.

I think (hope) things will settle down and we can get back to having nothing to worry about but how damaging Mormons can be.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 01:48PM

I agree that the election may have taken a crap on collective expression. Several times lately I've had the sudden desire to toss my laptop into one of our nearby active volcanoes.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 02:20PM

I too think the current political situation has probably taken its toll. As for myself, I have resolved many of my personal issues with the church and only pop in once in awhile to see what is being discussed and then comment only if I think I can add anything useful to the discussion. As for attending the ExMo Conference, my wife and I did not attend this year due to an illness in the family that has greatly affected much that we are able to do.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 03:07PM

No way RFM posts can compete with the 'political circus' going on hour by hour day after day.

I am not sure when the 'political circus' will settle down.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 13, 2016 08:46AM

Let's just hope the circus atmosphere is over, instead of continuing. It's hard to imagine the impact this next admin will have other than it will be anything but usual.

:/

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 03:10PM

No recovery happening here. Just busy being with my grandchildren. My hockey star grandson scored a goal and was robbed on 2 more.

RB

Date: November 13, 2016 08:47AM

Congrats on your grandson's victory!

:)

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 03:16PM

I keep wanting to let go of the side of the pool, and no longer need RfM to keep me afloat.

But, I'm back every day.

I may not post as much these days; but, I love the bunch o' ya, and I love what you have to say.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 04:01PM

"Any other theory?"

Well, I've spent the last four days dancing, drinking, and laughing uncontrollably. I've also had a busy work week, so I haven't posted much.

If someone has a question about Mormon history, I try to provide info on the subject, but I haven't seen many such questions recently. I guess that comes and goes. It could also be that people can get info about Mormonism from a variety of sources these days, so maybe people don't come here with their questions as much as they used to.

I notice that these days, when I see a media article about Mormonism, a lot of the commentors are well-versed in the contradictions and controversies. For instance, a couple of weeks ago, when some of my TBM relatives were cheerleading for that Utah Mormon guy who was running for POTUS instead of the frontrunner, my nephew, who's an independent Baptist preacher, wrote on FB that Mormons who supported him were hypocrites because Brigham Young had 55 wives. When I was a TBM, I thought that Young only had 27 wives, and I only thought that because it was the title of the book on the subject. But nowadays, lots of never-Mos know the facts.

Posted by: whutnot ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 05:36PM

I vote that Eric and his other CZs mod the next election. Just the candidates and their pundits. Worst muckracking ever. They set a hellish tone, and a hellish example.

Date: November 12, 2016 06:31PM

It makes sense that if t.h.e. major topic of the times is banned, people will find a different outlet in which to interact. - Not criticizing the policy, just stating an obvious result. I support the policy for this site, and hostile archives the world over attest to the reason.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 07:02PM

That's a good point. If people were allowed to talk about the election, the place would have been hoppin'.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 07:17PM

This site is a living organism. It changes constantly. Posts change in volume and content.
It would be fun, if it's possible, to see the number of posts in a graph from it's inception.
My guess? Starts off slow, builds, backs off some, builds again, etc. It's a roller caster, in a way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2016 07:17PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Nonamenotown ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 07:53PM

There are several people who monopolize the site. If one dares mention having any faith at all, all of them will jump down your throat. I got tired of trying to offer responses to posts because of this pattern. Now I just lurk occasionally.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 11:26PM

If my wife and extended family weren't all still hopelessly intangled in tscc indoctrination I would have left it all behind long ago and would feel no need to visit here.

I am glad rfm and the other sites are available to help sort it all out.

At the same time the struggle of working through this has given me much opportunity to grow and develope a deeper understanding.

My frustration now is feeling like I can't find a community to replace church involvement; one doesn't condone and promote myth as truth but rather relies on evidence, reason and principles as a path to knowledge and progress.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: November 13, 2016 08:34AM

latest news regarding TSCC. RfM is far more reliable than the Deseret News or SLTribune. The Brethren can't sneeze or fart w/o someone here noting the fiasco.

For the past few months I log on some time during most days to see if Tommy Monson has finally Kinderhooked, Carhtaged, Mountain Meadowed or kicked the bucket. Geez, how long is he going "hang by a thread" as a bobble headed bozo?

RfM is good canary in the mine as far as what is really going on in Mormondom.

Thanks to Eric, CZ and the crew for your invaluable contributions.

Date: November 13, 2016 08:50AM

Most of my recovery from Mormonism happened prior to finding RfM online.

Still, it's nice to meet other ex-Mos who have had similar experiences to share. You can't find this kind of a community anywhere else online IMO.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 13, 2016 07:45PM

I just don't have a lot to say about Mormonism anymore. When I do discuss it, it's just to lend support and build IRL community with others who are leaving.

I've also been busy with other stuff, including following the US news more closely the last few weeks. Ugghhh.

I almost feel guilty for losing interest, but I also think that's a sign of recovery and I should just follow my inclination to spend less time thinking about Mormonism. I won't say goodbye to the board because I know that from time to time stuff will come up and I'll be back.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 13, 2016 08:05PM

Wanna know why posting is down ? Just look at all the

irrelevant posts that are here of late which have nothing

at all to do with recovery from mormonism. Are you kidding

me with this wonderment ??? Look around and do something

or else this decline in posts will only continue.

Date: November 13, 2016 11:58PM

"Wanna know why posting is down ? Just look at all the
irrelevant posts that are here of late which have nothing
at all to do with recovery from mormonism."

I think that the board's lifeblood is newbies coming on and asking for info and counsel. If no newbies come around, there's nothing we old-timers can do about that. What should we do, send posters knocking on doors two-by-two and proselyting for ExMormonism? :-)

This BB is also an on-line community of people who have a common interest which is Mormonism, but also discusses other things. Kinda like my wife and my closest social community is our group of karaoke buddies, but we talk about and do other things as well.

I don't mind if you and elder old dog talk about your personal lives every once in a while. :-)

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 14, 2016 12:59PM

randyj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Wanna know why posting is down ? Just look at all
> the
> irrelevant posts that are here of late which have
> nothing
> at all to do with recovery from mormonism."
>
> I think that the board's lifeblood is newbies
> coming on and asking for info and counsel. If no
> newbies come around, there's nothing we old-timers
> can do about that. What should we do, send
> posters knocking on doors two-by-two and
> proselyting for ExMormonism? :-)
>
> This BB is also an on-line community of people who
> have a common interest which is Mormonism, but
> also discusses other things. Kinda like my wife
> and my closest social community is our group of
> karaoke buddies, but we talk about and do other
> things as well.
>
> I don't mind if you and elder old dog talk about
> your personal lives every once in a while. :-)

Nice put down RandyJ. The small amout of us saying things to each other doesn't compare to the National Inquirer crap we
ve been getting there. But thanks you made your point.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: November 13, 2016 08:14PM

I am definitely, slowly, recovering. For me and dh, the election has taken up our thoughts and conversations. That actually was a relief to me to not be talking about the church and my disbelief. Now that the election is over, the focus is back on me and my falling away. Darn!

So I'm still here.

Date: November 13, 2016 08:44PM

It's also possible that the longer thread lengths are helping to sate the issues raised to a greater depth. I've noticed more interaction on a given subject as they age, instead of being closed, many fewer "con't."

I noticed the boatd wasn't moving as fast, and wondered if it was thread length, and thought, well, it's still a young adult, let's see how it matures.

Not as many new subjects, but longer threads. I wonder how that effects new posters. I hope they still jump in the pool.

Posted by: Elders Quorum Drop-out ( )
Date: November 13, 2016 08:50PM

I have, personally, had a lot going on in my life the last couple months. My employment let go of it's entire staff in my department so I have been occupied with obtaining anew job and focusing on learning the ropes.

And sometimes, to be honest, I have to take a break from religious/political dialogue and just sit back and live. Enjoy life for what it is and put religion/politics on the back burners. It's always nice to collect yourself and recharge the deep thinking batteries!

Date: November 14, 2016 12:00AM

...and of course, as you wrote, there are other things going on in life. Like, for instance, 'Bama is 10-0 and ranked #1. That's FAR more important than Mormonism. :-)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 13, 2016 09:01PM

If they're down now, it only means they'll soon soar.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 14, 2016 03:34AM

They put the URL on the temple prayer rolls.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 02:55PM

No, I'm semi-retired. I said what I did because folks on both sides simply shouted, louder and louder, and I finally got tired of listening to their shouts.

Forget about the result, or that the election was open and free: total strangers were saying horrible things about each other. That's wrong.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.