Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: LifeFromANewView ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 07:36AM

I know many here are older(not that it means anything I've seen some fairly middle aged people playing some very new stuff) But who here is a video gamer? what do you play? and to make this a little more on topic was there anything mormonism every stopped you from playing? I know I was banned from M rated games till my brother convinced my mother it wasn't a big deal. Why was I banned? Gordo B Hickley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2016 07:36AM by lifefromanewview.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 07:59AM

I enjoy playing Sims 3 and the games from the Roller Coaster Tycoon series. I am not a Mormon, but when my family got our first Nintendo, I was only allow to play for about 30 minutes a day. That only lasted about 2-3 years and then I was allowed to play as long as I wanted after my homework and chores were finished. I don't remember if my parents were really picky about game ratings because we did own Mortal Combat and Street fighter for our Super Nintendo system.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 08:52AM

I'm a bit of a geek, mother to a geeky family. Among other things: Manga, Anime, tabletop gaming-Caatan, cards-Gloom, role playing-D&D, Star Trek, Cthulu, video-Kingdom Hearts, anything Lego, mobile-Pokemon Go, Cosplay and conventions. All of these were no nos when I was being raised in my Mormon family.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 09:29AM

lifefromanewview Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know many here are older(not that it means
> anything I've seen some fairly middle aged people
> playing some very new stuff)...

Ouch. Don't put us out to pasture just yet.

I designed/programmed games for 15+ years. You might have heard of some of the ones I worked on...Mortal Kombat, Defender, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, NFL Blitz...? :)

I do Call of Duty against my son (who's at college), and we're pretty even. I like Final Fantasy (and it helps that Square Enix is one of my current clients). Anything Star Wars that's decent. Lots more.

One thing I tossed from my mormon upbringing was the obsession with ratings. As my kids were (are) growing up, they got to play all kinds of games before they were public, including "M" ones. They turned out just fine :)

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 11:18AM

"Ouch. Don't put us out to pasture just yet."

Here, here! Bit of a rant coming.....

I don't get this thing that young people have, that anyone "older" than them doesn't know or can't relate to anything that is new or "trendy".

My 30 year old step daughter does this all the time to her mom and I. When we mention something current, new, trendy.....she usually say's something like" oh, I didn't think you'd know anything about that"......like we live in a covered wagon and burn candles for light.

And on your gaming career.....you created the games these kids play.....but you're "older" so how could you know anything about video games?

I'm a medical device engineer. Many of the new crop of recruits come in, do and act like they want....including disrespecting senior, experienced employees. What they don't seem to realize is that when they were playing with dolls and action figures, I was working here, building this company, not only for my future, but so they could have good job when they grew up and finished college.

Rant by Jonny the Smoke, who turned 55 this year, over!!

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 11:20AM

But when you get put out to pasture you also get put out to stud. So growing old means lots of sex and little responsibility.

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 10:44PM

Lol, dark forces was one of my favourite games, I'd play it again but it's not compatible with my system. I recently played Jedi outcast through again for old time sake:)

We all play in our household. Everyone has their own taste in games. I got right into skyrim. I'm the household winner of Diablo2, being the only one to clock it on all difficulty. DH is currently playing the latest tomb raider. My oldest loves gaming. He saves up for the next GPU on his Wishlist. When he has enough money, I go down and get it and then install it for him.

Oh, I'm 49 on Monday;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2016 10:46PM by blakballoon.

Posted by: Sperco ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 09:42AM

I really like playing Eve :-)

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 10:56AM

Can I put in a word here for board games, such as Scrabble, Monopoly, Cluedo (Clue to those in the US), Othello/Reversi et al.

Card games played with those wicked, evil, sinful face-cards - games such as cribbage.

Dice games such as backgammon (I recommend the compter version known as GNU backgammon).

And on a more computer-oriented front, simulations such as Microsoft's excellent Train Simulator, Flight Simulator and others such as Tube Train Simulator.

For those who miss playing old-style PC games, try this link:

http://www.myabandonware.com

Run the games under a copy of DosBox and relive a few happy hours of yesteryear.

And for those of us who a) are Brits and b) remember the eighties, get yourself a copy of ZX32, a Sinclair Spectrum emulator and while away a bit of time - and all without that dreaded message "r - tape loading error'.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 11:00AM

... I am even old enough to remember the days when the shops started to sell amazing games consoles which allowed you to play - gasp - a version of 'television tennis'.

I suspect that if you showed it to the kids of today they'd be amazed at how anyone could even think of playing something so 'primitive'.

Kids of today, eh ... we had it tough when I were a lad ... (stops himself before launching into another Four Yorkshiremen Sketch scenario).

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 11:54AM

Farcry
Drakes Fortune.
Fallout.
Need For Speed.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 05:48PM

I grew up in a very mormon family but we also played MMOs.

My parents, devout lds, played everquest nightly when I was a kid.

As for me, Im waiting to check a game called Dark and Light.

Sometimes I play terraria, Skyrim.. League of Legends I usually play a match every other day or so.

Posted by: laurad ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 05:50PM

I'm just waiting for the latest Nancy Drew game to come out.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 06:40PM

My parents didn't let us have a game system until I turned 16. They still disapprove of many titles, due to Mormon devotion to no "M" titles and my mother thinking some games were designed to make people gay (don't ask why, I'm not sure where she got the idea either).
So after I moved out and left Mormonism, I went a little game crazy. Favorite games: Kojima's Metal Gear series, Devil May Cry HD collection (the original series, not the crappy remake), Portal 2, Dead Space, and need to finish Fallout 3.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 08:45PM

We bought our kids every damn gaming system as it came out. I wasn't savvy enough to play with them but my kids were wiz kids. One time I bought them Grand Theft Auto and they loved it until the female leader of our familial unit heard in Relief Society from some of the other female leaders of other familial units of what was included in the game. That put an end to that game being played in our family unit.

Posted by: tokki ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 10:29PM

Total gaymer! Sorry if I get carried away... My two absolute favorite games are Katamari and Animal Crossing. I also like God of War, Skyrim, Alan Wake, Resident Evil, RDD, Zela, Final Fantasy, Xenoblade. I guess I'll probably lose all respect from any other gamers, but I love Nintendo. Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Super Mario Galaxy (all Mario, but especially Galaxy), Kirby might be my favorite Nintendo game of all. And yes, I'm preordering the Switch.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 19, 2016 02:11PM

I'm a total gamer geek, as I occasionally play D&D and similar games, and my new favorite, Cards Against Humanity. Even though my ex-husband was TBM, he still enjoyed D&D, and once he got kicked out of an Institute for playing Magic, the Gathering in the lounge. I think that Institute director would have had a heart attack over Cards Against Humanity as that would make every other card game seem tame in comparison. In fact, the thing my ex and I had in common was our love of games.

I've played a lot of the Nintendo games, as while my nevermo parents didn't get us a console, our friends did. It's just that my parents didn't want my brother and I to spend most of our time playing video games, because they wanted us to play outside. It had nothing to do with the content of games, just that they wanted us to be active.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2016 02:14PM by adoylelb.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.