Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: laurad ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 05:34PM

and if you're inclined to read memoirs, what topics would you like to read about? What areas of leaving would interest you?

I'm beginning to see this idea I have of putting my journey out into long, written form is overwhelming so I work on it in stages. I have a rough outline based upon my writings, but I'd like to see what the audience thinks, hoping it will spark some more ideas. My journey out wasn't entirely doctrine based and, to be honest, I doubt I'll even cover doctrine. This is a personal memoir.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 05:44PM

Actually, the personal stories would be of *more* interest to me than the "doctrinal" ones.

After all, most of us know people still in the church who understand and admit the "doctrinal" issues. They decide they're not important, they justify them, they ignore them -- and they stay. And then sometimes they leave...for *personal* reasons. Those are the stories I'd like to hear. I know the doctrinal issues :)

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 05:51PM

I think it could be a fascinating read. And I think your hesitancy to dwell on doctrine is wise, because then your journey may speak to many people other than Mormons.

A few topics that would interest me:

* Those who have supported your decision, especially the ones who surprised you by doing so (if any). Likewise, those who resisted.
* Coping mechanisms.
* The evolution of your feelings--e.g., slowly ebbing guilt.
* What was lost (e.g., friendships) and what was gained.
* How you managed the time between when you decided to leave and when you actually left (when you were a secret exmo).
* "Fellow travelers": those who agree with you but feel they're trapped inside.
* How it felt the first time you said "no."
* How the church bureaucracy (bishop, SP et al.) reacted.
* The pleasures of being out: for example, a nice strong cup of coffee on a Sunday morning.
* Resources you've used (this board etc.)

Date: November 19, 2016 01:01PM

A lot of this is already showing in my outline so that's good! Thank you.

Posted by: John Mc ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 06:29PM

I wrote a book on my journey in and out of Mormonism. I stayed personal and did not dwell on much doctrine. I did comment and detail those thing that caught my attention. It was an account of a personal journey, much for my children and grandchildren. I did a number of things in my life that seem to polarize peoples views. Some hate me for what I did and others praised and commended me.
I think keeping it personal if you can, allows others to peer into your life and I find those types of stories the most fascinating. What you think is an ordinary life will seem remarkable to others. I am from the UK and find peoples lives in Utah and the western states so intriguing. I am always amazed at peoples accounts here on this board.
Maybe a TV show from the board like unfriends of Mormons or real wives of Utah would be much more interesting that the pap we see on TV today.

Date: November 20, 2016 09:03AM

Personal is best. Doctrine would be interesting to a small audience, I believe.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.