Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 12:26AM

Wonder. Just sitting here by the creek. Listening to John Denver. What do you think? Didn't he touch your life? Sitting somewhere with the stars staring at you? Maybe smoking something. Freedom to look at and love the moon. Sound of crackling wood on the fire. Trickle of water somewhere away. I miss him. Really do. Miss those days when there were less worries. Do you remember? Life is what it is, but I don't think I'm imagining days were simpler.

Just something is off. I miss John...I do. I do.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2016 12:36AM by incognitotoday.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: travis ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 12:37AM

Yup, John Denver was one of a kind. During my awkward teen-age years, raised under the oppression of Mormonism, & the fear of being drafted, he was a ray of hope.

I also share the love he had for flying. It's a bit ironic that flying ended his life. Sometime when I'm up in my airplane enjoying the flight...his music enters my thoughts.

And, yes, he was cheesy as hell. Far out.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 12:43AM

His flying songs. His wind songs. Hawks circling songs. Yeah, some could say cheezy. Understand how that could be. He kept me alive in times of trouble. Gave me hope I would go home.

Damn, I miss him. Miss the other John, too. Imagine...

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 12:50AM

Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 12:51AM

I wasn't really a serious fan, but two songs:

Take Me Home, Country Roads. I remember this on the A.M. radio in our station wagon as we moved from place to place. There were some long drives on highways going through back country, and this was like a serenade. I didn't favor it, but it's locked in as a soundtrack for those memories.

Rocky Mountain High. This one I did favor. The melody is beautiful and the lyrics are sensitive and real. Friends around the campfire was my favorite part. This reminds me of certain awakening in me at the age of thirteen.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 01:42AM

"Christmas for Cowboys" is one of my favorite Christmas songs!

Those were songs we could sing along, and harmonize with. The lyrics rhymed and made sense. They were love songs to Nature. These songs made me want to leave Southern California, and get a cabin in the mountains--and we did--during the summers, anyway. We hiked, camped, chopped wood, planted vegetables, told stories and sang songs around the campfire. Somehow, these things are "cheesy" only in the city. Though we were all "city kids", we grew up with an appreciation of the land, and wildlife, and solitude. John Denver was the soundtrack to those new experiences.

He was the musical Thoreau of our generation.

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 03:53AM

My dad was a big fan, so my childhood was filled with John Denver. Also, Simon and garfunkel and Cat Stevens.
I love that music still. Denvers lyrics would take me out of suburbia and away, good memories.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 05:43AM

Ironically, when I was living in Colorado during the late 70s and early 80s, people used to roll their eyes at his music as being too cheesy. I'm sure that time softened the edges of that attitude. Other locals such as Dan Fogelberg and Firefall, and those with a similar sound, were embraced more warmly.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 06:56AM

I grew up with John Denver songs. We sang them at summer camp.

Also love and miss Jim Croce and his music.

Dan Fogelberg's "Leader of the Band" was played at my father's funeral. Never cared much for that song before, not that I didn't like it. But now when I hear it play, it will always remind me of my dad thanks to my brother who selected it for dad's memorial.

Times were simpler then. It was pre-9/11. Pre-Columbine. Pre-loss of Innocence as a nation, and as ex-Mos.

Sometimes I wonder if John Denver committed suicide in that little plane when it crashed off the coast of Malibu? Was he having money troubles? He was divorced from the love of his life, Annie, and his career had been in freefall for some time.

Was he depressed? It's possible. Could he have staged his suicide to look like an accident? Possibly. Regardless, he was an incredible musical talent that will live on in music memory.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2016 06:59AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 07:53PM

...from 1974-76. One of my companions, from Ogden, Utah, was a huge Denver fan. He had scarfed a guitar from somebody, and I bought a sheet music book of Denver's greatest hits, and we'd play them at night or on P-days. I always liked to play "Sunshine On My Shoulders" and "My Sweet Lady." After I got home from my mission, a buddy in my ward and I would play Denver's songs at ward talent shows and such.

Posted by: I'mjustsayin ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 08:04PM

I have always loved John Denver's music. Loved it as a kid and love it now. Never go too long without listening to some. "In The Grand Way" was one of his lesser known songs that really spoke to me. I think I'll go listen to him now. Timeless and meaningful.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.