Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 09:04PM

Thanksgiving. I found her in my TBM dad's bedroom looking all dizzy, maybe having a seizure or stroke. We're keeping her quiet and my TBM dad is with her. We're going to take to the Vet Friday morning. I dont know if I can handle losing 2 beloved family pets in one year. I kinda crying as I type this. We lost our beloved family cat "Tom' on September 2 this year. He was 13.

To top it off November 19, marks 3 years since my TBM mom died.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 09:40PM

It could be something simple such as an ear infection. If she is having seizures they can often be controlled or at least lessened. My dog had them for several years and they were pretty much controlled.It is important that she be medicated because seizures can cause brain damage. If the dog is young, a stroke is unlikely. Take her to the vet, but dont panic and expect the worst.

Date: November 23, 2016 10:31PM

She also has a heart murmur as well.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 10:51PM

My heart goes out to you again, Bro! I know hard hard Tom's death for you was. I'm hoping that your dog is just having some aging issues.

My parents have been dead a long time, and despite family conflicts and alcoholism, I miss them very much. Holidays can be especially hard. It's hard for me to realize that my parents' generation is gone, and my time is closing in (hopefully not too soon!). The only way to proceed, for me, is to be fully present during the holidays. I do lots of cleaning, cooking, and writing.

A couple of thoughts about your dog--

I waited too long to put my sixteen-year-old dog to sleep, it wasn't intentional, I had good intentions, but she suffered, needlessly. My second dog was hurting pretty bad when I had to take her in. I rubbed her ears, kissed her snout, and told her I loved her. She relaxed and was at peace for our last few minutes together. It still was hard. But, she did not suffer.

If the time has come, you'll know it's the right time. But, I'm hoping, you'll have more time together.

Your Dad sounds like a good Dad and I know you love and care for him very much. He'll appreciate your support.

When the time is right, you may want to consider another cat. There will not be another Tom, but there are so many cats and dogs that need homes, you'll save a life.

I hope this helps. You're very highly thought of by us, your friends here. If it helps, please post. I don't have answers, but I do have love and compassion I can share.

Very best wishes, friend! The Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2016 10:52PM by BYU Boner.

Date: November 23, 2016 10:59PM

I'm her "Security blanket" while my dad is off at work. We spend all day togerher along with my Chihuahua poncho. Losing her will be hard. We've had her since she was a puppy at 6 weeks.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 11:01PM

You're a very loving, compassionate man. I'm glad she has you as a companion!

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 10:52PM

That can be serious or not. My first dog had a heart murmer and lived till she was 18.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 12:48AM

Dear fellow pet-lover,

Our little old bishon frize (sp? a small curly white dog with an attitude) had a stroke, and was partially paralyzed on one side, but he improved hour by hour. In a few days he was walking normally again. It happened the night of a bad wind storm, which blew down 6 of our trees, and all of our fences and our neighbors' fences. We thought our dog was going to die.

Because our back yards were no longer divided by the fences, several neighbor dogs came into our yard, and our recovering little dog ran around and played tag with the others, for about two weeks. It was much more exercise than his daily walk. We put him on a special diet for older, slightly overweight dogs. and we walked him more. He made a complete recovery, and was even more fit than before! He lived four more years! (He died of old age, in his sleep.)

We did get another dog. We vowed to never have another dog, but there were some lab-mix puppies for sale at the mall, about a year later. One of the puppies was sick with a cold or pheumonia, or something, and a young couple brought him back. The mall was closing, and the puppies were being loaded into crates in the back of an open truck to be driven down to the Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab. The weather was freezing, and my daughter and I had the same idea--that dog had to be rescued!

The vet gave the dog antibiotics, and she has been healthy ever since. She has been my best friend, through some tough and lonely times. She's always there when I'm sick and in pain, any time of the day or night. When I'm well, we hike together in the mountains.

We spend more time--total--with our pets than we do with humans. My lab is always within 3 feet of me.

Get another cat!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 09:23AM

I think you need to make your way to pet emergency asap, and not just think that maybe it'll go away.

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 10:00AM

I sorry to hear about Princess. I hope that she gets better soon. Please try to get her seen as soon as possible.

Posted by: escapee nli ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 10:15AM

Is Princess able to walk? Is her her tilted to one side? Are her eyes twitching back and forth?
If so, she might have Vestibular disorder. It has to do with the inner ear. My German Shepherd, Abby, had it 5 years ago. She was 12.5 years old and I thought she'd stroked.
Most dogs recover from vestibular disorder and do just fine. Abby didn't, but she had a lot of back pain not related to the Vestibular and I think it was her way to check out.
If this is the case, Princess could recover.
Get her seen by a vet ASAP and know your options.

Other Susan

Posted by: escapee nli ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 10:17AM

That should read "Is her head tilted....." I hate this phone.

Other Susan

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 10:27AM

Strange. My dog Arran had what I think might have been a seizure last night. It came out if the blue. He's fine now, but we had a scary hour with him.

I hope Princess is okay. I know how freaky it is when our beloved pets have health problems.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.