Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 06:26PM

I just came across this:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/leah-remini-tom-cruise-urged-me-get-les-moonves-kill-60-minutes-scientology-story-950903

Leah's remarks about Scientology are very familiar to we Ex-Mormons:

"Is Scientology a cult? Did the church brainwash you?"

"Yes. Scientology is a brainwashing proposition from the very first book that you read in [church doctrine] Dianetics, where L. Ron Hubbard positions himself as a college-educated person, which he wasn’t; a nuclear physicist, which he wasn’t; and a decorated military man, which he wasn’t. Also important is that he claims that Scientology and Dianetics is a proven science. So when you’re indoctrinated when you’re very young, as I was, and all the information that you receive is from Scientology, and you’re not allowed to look at other things because you’re penalized for doing that, yes, that is the way cults work. They cut you off from information from the outside world and they start to sequester you by saying everybody else is your enemy. That is another way that cults work. It satisfies all the checkmarks for what a cult is and what brainwashing is."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 07:28PM

You could just replace the word Scientology with the word Mormonism, and the name L. Ron Hubbard with the name Paul Dunn.

Two peas in a pod.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 12:29AM

If she's ever in Salt Lake, she's got a free cab ride coming and one of my "unexpurgated tours of Zion," seriously...

http://www.aetv.com/shows/leah-remini-scientology-and-the-aftermath/season-1/episode-1/preview-critics

Addendum:

This one just popped into my inbox on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgJKIvVWOaQ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2016 12:56AM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 12:48AM

Religions are often all quite similar. The early home environment is very powerful as that is all the child knows.

I am a convert at age 19. I grew up in a home where the Bible was the Word of God, and sacred, you said prayers before meals, and before going to bed, you didn't question the minister, the 10 commandments were the highest law, you learned the Beatitudes, studied the Bible in all church classes. I come from three or more generations of Xian ministers and related to PK's preacher's kids. That was all I knew until I was introduced to Mormonism by a couple of Elders near my own age.

The similarities, initially, to my own background and growing up years, was very similar. It was not until I got married, went to the temple, moved to Utah and landed in a different culture, and got involved in living the religion, that it took on more and more exclusionary, only true, ideas that were to be believed by faith.

That is why, from my reading the dictionary that the word: Cult refers to lots of different groups, and religions in general.
"a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2016 12:49AM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 04:38AM

From the Reddit AMA. Replace "Scientology" with Mormon, "governments" with Satan, and "L. Ron Hubbard" with the Brethren.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5fjszg/i_am_leah_remini_ask_me_anything_about_scientology/

Q: How do the powers that be in Scientology keep their followers from reading anti-Scientology news, or your book? Why don't more scientologists leave?

A: Great question. Because very early on in the brainwashing process, L. Ron Hubbard's "technology" teaches you that outside sources (i.e. The news, the Internet, books, magazines) are ALL LIES and hellbent on destroying something decent like Scientology. The AMA, and APA, and all "governments" do not give scientology its due because they have a vested interest in not healing people and not helping people. And Scientology is in the business of making people better. So Scientologists are taught that their safest bet is to get their info from the only true decent people...and those are Scientologists. And if they look on the internet, if they read time mag, they will be met with punishment at their expense. And, as a Scientologist...you have to confess that you've read outside materials, and that will be met with punishment at your expense.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 01, 2016 01:32AM

It's available via On-Demand, and I can see I'm going to have to watch it in "segments": it's deeply troubling, but her honesty is readily apparent as is her commitment to helping people escape the shackles of the Operation Clambake crowd.

I just head the word "cult" at the 23 minute mark...

Addendum: I said I was going to watch it segments, but that's not going to happen; there's about five minutes left...

Praise the lawd for a fast-forward button.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2016 02:01AM by SL Cabbie.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.