Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 06:28PM

I've heard so much about this HBO series and the first season was on sale. So, I bought the DVDs. I don't know if I will continue with the rest of the seasons or not. I don't seem to make heads or tails out of it.

Truth be told, I've never read the Book of Mormon as a never-mo, but having read so many postings here over the years, I know that there are some pretty violent scenarios in the most perfect book ever written—beheadings, millions killed, etc. Can one say that they can't make heads or tails out of the Book of Mormon?

At least "And it came to pass," isn't part of the dialogue.

Are there perhaps parallels between the Book of Mormon and the fantastical Game of Thrones?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 06:34PM

The books are a million times more interesting and well written than the BoM. The show is a decent interpretation of the books, although there are things I find annoying about it at best.

If you want to understand what's going on in the TV series a bit more, get A Game of Thrones and sit down and read it.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 06:47PM

rogermartim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can one say that they can't make heads or tails
> out of the Book of Mormon?

As a mormon, one can't say that. One can only say how wonderful and inspiring it is. Anything else gets you in trouble, or gets you sad looks from TBMs saying, "Clearly you haven't read it and prayed about it."

> Are there perhaps parallels between the Book of
> Mormon and the fantastical Game of Thrones?

As violent fiction, sure. :)

Posted by: Ohdeargoodness nli ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 07:54PM

Hang in there... it took DH until season two or three to get ADDICTED. Now he's worse than me!

Season one can be a bit slow and confusing. It obviously has to lay the groundwork for the show, which can be both confusing and sometimes boring.

Posted by: Gone girl ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 11:31PM

If you can put the subtitles on during the show it will make a world of difference. My hubby and I were having a hard time understanding all the different dialects, names, lands etc. it was much easier to follow with subtitles to help us!
Stick with it. It really is a fantastic series.

Posted by: Adult of God nli ( )
Date: December 02, 2016 08:17PM

I agree. Captions will help a lot.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 11:40PM

Haven't watched it. At first my wife didn't want to watch it and then I lost interest in PVR'ing it. Maybe when it comes back as reruns in a couple years.

RB

Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: December 01, 2016 06:46PM

The only thing I know about game of thrones is Maisie Williams is off the scale cute.

Posted by: arinae ( )
Date: December 02, 2016 02:52AM

I can't remember if it was the second or third time through that I realized Cersei and Jaime were twins.

Hang in there if you like high fantasy and complicated stories!

Otherwise, I would watch something else. GoT is the only show that I watch that I can't multitask while watching without getting lost.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 02, 2016 08:07AM

I bet that was a shocker, especially after the first episode.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: December 02, 2016 09:12PM

Mormon".
Non-Mormon reads the Book of Mormon.

This is by an ex-evangelical preacher who reads and gives his interpretation and thoughts on many of the themes, stories and beliefs.

For Mormons it may be shocking to hear, "And so the BoM starts out with a murder!" or "The King Benjamin Speech" is so off kilter and boring (because Mormons love using this speech as almost as sacred as the Beatitudes by Jesus).

Anyway: Here's the website: https://mybookofmormonpodcast.com/

Here's John Dehlin interviewing the presenter on Mormon Stories: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngomGsqa4l0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2016 09:14PM by dydimus.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.