Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: December 01, 2016 03:02PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: December 01, 2016 03:22PM

I did!

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: December 01, 2016 03:50PM

Yep. I always thought it was the sacrament "gym" when I was little.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 01, 2016 05:58PM

Jonny the Smoke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yep. I always thought it was the sacrament "gym"
> when I was little.

I went with "jam." In my mind was the metaphor of sweetness.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: December 01, 2016 03:51PM

I remember... yikes I haven't thought of that in ages .

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 01, 2016 04:05PM

We had the dreaded 2 1/2 minute talks.

Posted by: hgc ( )
Date: December 01, 2016 04:07PM

I remember well the sacrament gem and the 2 1/2 minute talks.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 01, 2016 06:37PM

I used to love the pre-printed 2 1/2 minute talks that we could color and hold up and read. I was always wanting to do them to show off my reading abilities in 2nd grade. Wow, haven't thought of that and sacrament gems in years.

Posted by: wings ( )
Date: December 02, 2016 11:08AM

My first 2 1/2 minute talk was Psalm 23, KJV, of course. I was really little...and terrified. And I remember this gem:

"While of these emblems we partake, in Jesus name and for His sake, let us remember and be sure, our hearts and hands are clean and pure."

I am certain I would not recognize today's Mormonism.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 01, 2016 06:12PM

Had forgotten all about that....and no, I never did. Don't remember exactly what it was? Scripture?

RB

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 01, 2016 06:23PM

What the hell is all this?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 01, 2016 06:31PM

In ancient times during sunday school the adults and older children gathered for a mass meeting before going to class.

Sacrament was served followed by two talks.

One was a youth talk called the 2 1/2 minute talk. Was meant to get kids used to public speaking.

Later some wards had the sacrament gem. I left before these came into being. Someone else will have to explain them.

Oh and all this was pre 3 hour block time.

Date: December 01, 2016 06:33PM

I don't remember anything like the sacrament gem...We usually just had a youth speaker during the regular SM.

Date: December 01, 2016 08:41PM

I wonder if it was done away with because it was a little too Jesus and New testament focused.

Posted by: LifeFromANewView ( )
Date: December 01, 2016 06:28PM

What exactly was that?

Posted by: Lurker 1 ( )
Date: December 01, 2016 07:35PM

Well, I guess I'm not going senile yet because your supposed to remember vividly things that happened years ago. I do remember the Sacrament Jim but my memory is hazy. It seems to me like it was just in Junior Sunday School. I vaguely remember liking to give it because it was so easy compared to a 2-1/2 minute talk. It seems to me like it was given after the sacrament song, right before the priests blessed the sacrament but that is also where my memory is too hazy.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 01, 2016 08:36PM

When I quit attending in 1971 SM was still at night and mutual/cubs/scouts was during the week.

RB

Posted by: stokars ( )
Date: December 01, 2016 08:56PM

OOOhhh yeah! The gem was a piece of cake. Grab a pre-printed card from the library and read it. It was those damn talks that gave me Preaching Traumatic Syndrome Disorder at 3 yoa. My mother demanded we have them entirely memorized. I could remember all manner of crap from reading the scriptures, but I could not memorize a talk, and it took me 18 months into the mission before I managed to memorize all the discussions, and the minimum scripture references to become a senior. One of the chief reasons I went was to get over the stage fright of speaking in church, class, social groups. The MP thought I was a lazy ass and didn't want to work. So glad RCJ and his bitch are gone. I'll be one of his pay-backs when I cross over.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: December 02, 2016 10:19AM

Hi Stokars... California Mission mid 60's?.

Posted by: Hermes ( )
Date: December 02, 2016 10:36AM

My hooked on phonics-style education had my 6-year-old ears hearing it as some kind of title...

...Sacrament Jim.

I thought it was cool when I was Sacrament Jim for the day.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: December 02, 2016 11:12AM

This is was all before the three hour block. What I remember from way back then was that Priesthood meeting was at 9:00. At 10:00 the men would go back home and bring the rest of the family back to church for Sunday School at 10:30.

The Sacrament Gem was part of Sunday School opening exercises. Everyone would meet together in the chapel. As I recall the Sacrament Gen was done before the Sacrament. Someone would recite a scripture, then would lead the congregation in reciting the scripture together. After the Sacrament there would be two 2 1/2 minute talks. Then everyone would break up into their individual classes.

We'd be back at 5:00 that afternoon for 90 minutes of Sacrament meeting. Primary and Reluef Society would be held during the week.

I remember when they started the 3 hour block how excited everyone was to get in and out in 3 hours instead of spending all day doing church. Now that I look back I realize they could condense at all down to 5 minutes and it would still be boring as hell and an insult on intelligence!

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: December 02, 2016 11:28AM

Good hell...forgot all about that ...yet there on a dusty memory stick it was...no one has to admit how ancient they are if they know what a sacrament gem is...the ever evolving truth...always evolving but never coming to any knowledge...just keep the plebes running to another mindless meeting...change the format and call it revelation...sorta of like that silly proclamation...who was it gordy?...decided only white hetero delightsome was allowed

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.