Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 03:19PM

given the success of the play on Broadway, it's just a matter of time before a movie of the play is in the works.

This just may be the Trojan Horse we've all been praying for.

What if the movie is hugely successful. Gets some nominations. We know how the Academy loves musicals, and hates mormons.

What if millions of people go see the movie, just because the reviews are so great.

What will they learn?

Well, just from the soundtrack

I believe that ancient Jews built boats and sailed to America.

I believe that plan involves me getting my own planet.

I believe that the Garden of Eden was in Jackson County, Missouri.

I believe that in 1978 God changed his mind about black people.

I believe that God lives on a planet called Kolob.

I believe that Jesus has his own planet as well.

I believe that the current President of the church Thomas Monson speaks directly to God.

Yikes!! That's some serious meat for mainstream America to do some toe-tapping.

Anything in the play I missed?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 04:14PM

Scooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Anything in the play I missed?

Well, Joseph Smith had AIDS, and he cured it by f****ing a frog.

But I don't know that we teach that.

Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 05:32PM

I love that the reason the frog is introduced is because JS wants to sleep with a child. Unfortunately for Fanny Alger, the frogs never came into the story.

Posted by: notojoe (unregistered) ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 05:37PM

In the song Joseph Smith American moses....Joseph takes the f**kfrog that cured his aids and rubs it on Brigham Young's clit face to cure Brigham's clit face.

I'm not making this up!

Posted by: jebus ( )
Date: May 18, 2011 06:13PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2011 07:08PM by jebus.

Date: May 13, 2011 04:20PM

You missed my favorite one, though:

The severe sexual repression in the church ("turn it off"). I honestly believe there are far more closeted gays in the Morg than any other church.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 08:35PM

it's the showcase theatre in Manhattan. Think mainstreaming Rocky Horror Picture Show.

So they have sing alongs where the audience sings along with My Fair Lady or Sound of Music.

The audience can be quite fabulous.

I can't wait for a fabulous audience to participate in a sing along with Book of Mormom, the movie.

Three generations singing Hasa Diga Eebowai.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 12:30AM

This is bad news for the Morg. I see chatter on FB comparing the South Park boys to evil Book of Mormon characters who "will get what they deserve".

no ... sorry to disappoint. It's the Pharisees in SLC who will their asses kicked.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 12:58AM

Financially, it makes sense to squeeze as much live theater revenue out of it as they can which will include touring shows. It might even make sense to sit on it awhile after the live show run dies down before thinking about a movie to prime the anticipation of its release.

The short of it is I wouldn't hold my breath for any movie in the near future. I hope it does well in the Tonys - more free PR!

I WILL see it some day, so I can gauge it myself, but from what I gather so far I think the show is a little bit of a double-edged sword. Part of the mindset of the show is that Mormons are happy go lucky, well-meaning people who just happen to believe in some eccentric myths but are otherwise perfectly benign and actually do some good in the world despite their quirks.

What doesn't get shown is the dark underbelly of the psychological damage that Mormonism can do to its adherents and dissenters. It's not innocuous and benign. There's some definite liabilities that come with believing that myths are very real.

However, I cannot imagine anyone walking away from that show with their interest piqued to the point that they could take Mormonism seriously as a religion. From that standpoint they are hammering nails into the coffin of Mormonism for its audience members.

Posted by: hotwaterblue ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 08:06AM

Sierra Nevada IPA

Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 09:31AM

It shows how serious the Mormons are about what they believe while the rest of us laugh our asses off.

It will plant the seed into the current culture "Mormons are silly and irrelevant at helping real problems"

People do not like to be laughed at. Mormons love being persecuted but in the past it never was through laughter. As the laughter grows the selfconscious mormon will tire of being a joke to everyone.

Posted by: jebus ( )
Date: May 18, 2011 07:06PM

Very true.

I remember that part of what helped me to start thinking, is the way Mormonism is often used as an example of silly ideas. I remember a quote from something completely unrelated to religion. When describing a particularly far out, unfounded idea, an author stated;

"This is something they would not even believe in Salt Lake City!"

Ridicule, at least when not delivered on a personal basis, can sometimes get through to people. I know it helped me.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 18, 2011 06:22PM

Attacking brings denials and a rush to defend the right to believe anything and everything.

Ridicule brings laughter and who doesn't like to laugh?

Ridicule invalidates the message. Check out the growths stats for Scientology after the internet made Xenon a household word.

Kolobians everywhere unite!

Donny and Marie on Joy Behar's show are already saying that what's on the internet are falsehoods "from the past history." And, forgetting their own scriptures, "Polygamy is not part of our faith."

It amazes me that contempt the media spinners have for the American public. Clearly, they must believe people just take their word as fact if they are a celebrity. Do you believe everything your favorite celebrity says? Do you know anyone who does?

Anagrammy

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 18, 2011 06:39PM

I agree their choice to go with gentle ridicule over attack is brilliant and deliberate. These guys have honed their skills over their Family Guy years.

Attack just sounds whiny over time and people don't want to hear it. Laughter brings the topic back to your consciousness of its own accord.

There's probably a lesson in their for us.

Date: May 18, 2011 06:45PM

Unlike FG, which rarely has any substance to it, South Park goes pretty deep into topics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2011 07:06PM by rogertheshrubber.

Date: May 18, 2011 06:46PM

Date: May 18, 2011 06:58PM

I felt bad correcting you. It's just that I LOVE good satire, and find SP brilliant. But I despise the writing in FG.

Date: May 18, 2011 07:07PM

neener neener neeeeeenerrrrrrr!

Date: May 18, 2011 07:03PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2011 07:04PM by Heresy.

Posted by: Anonymous ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 08:56PM

Wow, a lot of you missed the point of the musical.

Go and watch Trey Parker's and Matt Stone's recent interviews. They grew up around Mormons. They make it clear they find it goofy (I find it goofy too) but they praise Mormons for their values of family and kindness. They aren't even anti-religious

It's hilarious when anti-Mormonism people go and twist the word of the South Park creators to further their hatred for religion and Generalize ALL Mormons as brainwashing and negative.

Are you even ex-Mormons? If ex-Mormons find themselves so sane enough to depart on what they generalize as negative cult, why do (a lot of you) engage in the hatred that you ridicule ALL Mormons for.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 09:16PM

Anonymous Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, a lot of you missed the point of the
> musical.
>
> Go and watch Trey Parker's and Matt Stone's recent
> interviews. They grew up around Mormons. They
> make it clear they find it goofy (I find it goofy
> too) but they praise Mormons for their values of
> family and kindness. They aren't even
> anti-religious
>
> It's hilarious when anti-Mormonism people go and
> twist the word of the South Park creators to
> further their hatred for religion and Generalize
> ALL Mormons as brainwashing and negative.

Silly me, after rereading their words, and rereading all the press about the musical, I now know that Matt and Trey have only a deep, abiding respect for Mormonism and its beliefs. Their musical is not a send-up of Mormonism but a deep and respectful tribute to its tenets disguised as a satire.

How did I miss it? Thanks for straightening us out on this one.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 10:08PM

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: July 05, 2014 08:59AM

Do they assume that some of it is so crazy, so off-the-wall that it was obviously made up?

Would they be shocked to learn that the lines in "I Believe" really are the stuff that average Mormons are taught to believe...

I would love to ask average Americans leaving the auditorium after seeing the play...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.