Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: December 02, 2016 09:48PM

Untimately they both believe in the same God of Abraham, Muslims just call him Allah and Mormons just call him Elohim.
They both accept the Old Testament.
They both want the same thing, armagedon.
Muslims just call it Jihad, Mormons just call it, "The Latter Days"
And theyre both equally determined to realize their conflicting, realities and common destiny, prevail, in the end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2016 09:50PM by koriwhore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 10:09AM

I think Joseph Smith stole alot of ideas from Islam,Masons,Methodists so there will be similarities. I think a critical difference is that at least the craziness in Mormonism can be tempered by reality at least to some degree. Islam is batshit crazy all the time.

Posted by: Dogblogger ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 10:42AM

From god is not one

1 – Islam (The Way of Submission) – the problem is self-sufficiency, the solution is submission, the technique is performing the religion (the Five Pillars etc.)

2 – Christianity (The Way of Salvation)- the problem is sin, the solution is salvation in Jesus Christ, the technique is some combination of faith and good works.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 10:56AM

Islam is Moe, LDS is Larry, Scientology is Curly.

Humans squat like mushrooms leaning toward the living room's glowing rectangle, watching the Stooges poke and slap each other. Meanwhile life--finite, precious, unique life--slowly slips toward oblivion.

Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck...

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 05:51PM

Don't forget subordinate status of wimmen, both in this life and the next.

Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 06:01PM

At least people claiming to be Mormon do not cut peoples heads off in a gruesome manner for:
Not being a Mormon
Helping people who are less fortunate than themselves.
AFAIK

Date: December 03, 2016 06:15PM

Mormons ideology makes room for chopping people's heads off, take Nephi, who chopped off Laban's head while he was drunk, just so he could get away with stealing some gold plates from him, which he could have stolen from him without chopping his head off, since the dude was already passed out drunk.
So there was no reason to cut his head off really.
He just did it because Laban was evil.
So the only real justification you need for chopping off somebody's head is to believe they're evil, then 14 Million people will forever treat you like some kind of a hero!
How is that any different from what Muslims believe about the people who's heads they chop off?
And how is ISIS any different from Saudi Arabia ideologically?
Don't they both believe you deserve to have your head chopped off if you're an atheist, gay, outspoken, adulterer or an apostate?
Don't they both repress women and punish them for exposing too much skin?
Didn't BYU just fail a woman for exposing her shoulders in an art project?
Don't Mormons still believe we deserve death for turning our backs on Joseph's Myth?
Ideologically, how is that any different from Muslims?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2016 07:12PM by koriwhore.

Posted by: Mason ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 07:04PM

That was Nephi actually that cut of Laban's head.

Date: December 03, 2016 07:13PM

Thanks for the edit.
Shit, that just either tells you how long I've been away from these fairy tales or how stoned I am right now. haha

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 06:29PM

(I'll start writing down stuff, so that I can cite things correctly)

I read that early marmons were vying for beheadings as apposed to hangings in Illinois.

I also read that there was a site found containing several decapitated heads of young women. Supposedly to dissuade young women from flirting with US soldiers.

Will work to find these references ... give me a minute.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 06:33PM

The main difference that I can see is in the SLC hierarchy.
Islam has its scripture and its inspired commentary (Hadith).
Mormonism, however, has living prophets. That means the ONLY
thing that matters is what comes out of Salt Lake City. The
Scripture clearly states that the WOW is not a commandment. But
SLC says it is a commandment. Then it's a commandment.

Islam has no central religious authority figure. There are
Imams and scholars who agree and disagree with each other, and
there are political and governmental entities who align with
certain religious interpretations, but there is no supreme
"prophet" in Islam. Indeed, Islam states that Mohammad was the
last prophet.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 07:06PM

You've been on a roll lately, and I'm enjoying your insight.

Posted by: James Toronto ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 07:49PM

I'll tell you what, koriwhore and baura. Write a fully researched, footnoted article about the parallels between Islam and Mormonism, and conclude that there is no ideological difference between the two.

Then submit your article to a fully peer reviewed journal, whose review board actually know what they are talking about.

You both will find out two things:

1) This subject has been done to death, and the informed scholarly conclusion has been that the presumed parallels between the two religions, Mormonism and Islam, are more pretended that real; and

2) The two of you are so full of shit your eyes are brown.

Do it, please. Uphold the posture of RfM of being so "scientific," "scholarly," and populated by "deeply critical thinkers." You will be exposed for the poseurs that you are.

Personally, I loathe both Mormonism and Islam. But I loathe Internet bullshitters such as yourselves even more.

Please, please back up your assertions with real, scientific evidence. Please let us see it.

Date: December 03, 2016 07:54PM

Uh, fuck you?
How about you do some scientific research?
What scientific research is there on the parallels between Islam and Mormon?
Do provide links to back up your asinine comment.
I was Mormon and I am Muslim. Have been for 36 years, since I lived in North Africa as an anthropologist imbeding myself in a completely alien culture, at 18. I was kind of an intense teenager.
I returned to America and took pride in my Mormon roots and took it as seriously as I took my Muslim faith.
Eventually I followed the Mormon program, until 25 years later, 9-11, when I became more of a Nihilist than Nietzsche.
I rejected both faiths.
I resigned from Mormonism,
but you don't resign from Islam.
I'm pretty sure I know more about this topic than you ever will, or care to know.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2635839

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2016 12:38AM by koriwhore.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 09:20PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 10:09PM

No conflict of interest there. Another Mormon genius. I'm sure he's very bright, but he's invested too much in Mormonism for me to trust his opinion. A diatribe's a diatribe, and this one's a whopper.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 10:31PM

I don't think that poster was the real James Toronto. If Toronto is still at BYU, it would be career suicide to write "Personally, I loathe both Mormonism and Islam. But I loathe Internet bullshitters such as yourselves even more."

The point is correct, though. Mormonism and Islam don't have that much to do with each other. The Islamic God doesn't have a body, Jesus is neither God nor the son of God, men can't become gods, no hierarchy, no priesthood, no temples, no eternal marriage, no eternal sex, no new worlds or new populations, no New Testament, no atonement, no original church organization, no continuing revelation since the Quran. . . The list of differences goes on and on.

There are important ways in which Mormonism, particularly in its extreme phase, resembles modern Islam, also in its extreme phase. But to imply that they are ideologically similar beyond those relatively sparse but important points is a stretch.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 10:38PM

I don't think it was the real James Toronto either. James has been a Stake President and a Mission President. If it is the real person, it would be great to hear his story about losing faith. But its more likely that an anonymous Mormon hijacked his name to try to make a post seem more credible. Typical lies to bolster the church.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 10:43PM

Very possible.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 11:30PM

You cant say bro toronto doesnt have a short fuse and a wet match...maybe a side of poutine anger for supper...seems like a fine lad with a real bad attitude...calling upstanding people posers...well i never...fairly sure kori put the fear of allah into him...doubt well see him around these parts again

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 01:43AM

The problem with these comparisons is that they're usually intended to be a hit piece against one or both of the components offered for comparison. I'm hoping for the sake of your personal integrity you don't actually believe the comparison between Islam and Mormonism can be carried to any great extent. There are superficial structural and historical parallels, but you just can't carry them very far.

Once you reduce the examination to an existential observation, the comparison becomes absolute bullshit. Spend a week wandering around SLC as a gay couple dressed in typical summer attire with matching t-shirts that say, "Joseph was a false prophet." Act as you normally would with typical PDAs. You'll quickly find the community does not approve of your behavior and you'll be subject to a nearly endless stream of disagreeable stares and perhaps even some rude comments.

Now do the same thing in Tehran with shirts that say, "Muhammed was a false prophet."

I'd ask you to return and report, but you likely won't be given that option. There's the real difference in ideologies.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.