Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 04:33PM

Well, back in November, I officially decided to resign from Financial Services and Insurance. It wasn't going anywhere. Just calling on people all day and getting the boot. After about a year and a half I had had enough. Even long established agents are leaving the field I guess. The last thing people want to buy in a recession is insurance, they are too busy trying to get food on the table.

So after about 6 months of trying to get and office job, and only being solicited to come back into the insurance field (I get about 10 inquires a week from Farmers, Allstate, American Family, etc.) my DW and I have decided to start our own business.

The daycare just up the road closed because the bookkeeper was embezzling money from them, and now we are in the process of reopening it.

My wife and I have talked about doing something like this for years, but have never done it because of start up costs, etc., but we are finally biting the proverbial bullet. My wife and her friend will be the 'kids' people along with some employees, and I will be doing all the 'business' stuff like working with DSHS and applications and everything else not kid related.

Been lots of fun. Can't open for at least 90 days though because of state licensing procedures, though we might do a Kindgergarten preparedness course during the licensing period because we can tailor it not to break any regs, and then as soon as licensing is done go full board. My hands smell like bleach from sanitizing this morning and prepping for painting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WickedTwin ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 04:43PM

It's so important to enjoy your working environment. Best of luck with your new venture.

Posted by: captaincaveman ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 05:11PM

Good luck!!

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 05:14PM

I wish you and DW the best of luck!

Timothy

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 05:46PM

Sometimes the best boss is no boss :)

TG

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 09:11PM

Best wishes to you and DW in your new venture.

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 09:18PM

That sounds great...i sure know it's hard to find good day care....and bleach always makes me smiler.

stormy

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 09:26PM

Good move, Primus. The revolution has begun when all the corporate firees run out of unemployment and start our own businesses and apprentice our own children so they won't be unemployed.

The more things change the more they become the same: class warfare time again everyone, suit up!

Anagrammy

Posted by: Ernesto ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 10:53PM

The struggle continues. We will win.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 10:10PM

That's cool Primus. Changing time mean changing times... or something like that. I've been keeping books since January and that's something I never thought I'd do much less enjoy.

Who says old dawgs can't learn new tricks?

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 10:44PM

Congrats and that is wonderful. These business' are so important and the clients can spread the word as long as all goes well as per caring for the children - along with some teaching. What age are the kids- 6 mos and older or not so young?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.