Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 05:07PM

There have been a few threads on what people enjoy at Christmas.

One of mine has been watching "Amahl and the Night Visitors" when it is on television. It is truly a Gian Carlo Menotti classic. I haven't seen it for a few years now. I will really have to look to see when it is on this year.

No matter what one's belief system is, I can't help but think that with the beautiful melodic music that employs every mood of the plot, it doesn't tug at the heart.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 09:01PM

I enjoy Christmas programming that comes once a year.

Went to see "It's a Wonderful Life" last weekend on the big screen (for the first time on big screen ever for me.) This evening am watching tv Christmas reruns (Alvin & the Chipmunks Christmas, and Chevy Chase National Lampoon.)

They spark a tiny bit of holiday joy at my heart strings.

My Christmas shopping is mostly done. Now I can sit back, and enjoy what's left of this holiday season without knocking myself out. Until the after Christmas sales to see what I can find. :)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 09:24PM

I enjoy A Christmas Carol, the B&W version with Alistair Sim. And some of the Christmas carols...and almost none of the more modern Christmas music with the exception of Amy Grant's "Breath of Heaven". It is our favorite Christmas song.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea9_WvnxluQ

RB

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 06:37PM

Oh yeah! Alistair Sim kick's ass. The Scrooge with Albert Finney is downright sickening. It's Albert Finney himself and that stupid, fake thing he does with his mouth. ICK!

Posted by: Anonymous not logged in ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 05:08AM

I love Christmas!

Yes, it does have its sad and lonely aspects, but such is life. I miss the old days, my parents, my non-Mormon childhood friends, my dating years, and college years--but the present is better.

That's why I love tradition--we can re-live the happy times--PLUS we have all the new fun.

Last night, my oldest grandchild played Christmas songs on the piano, the middle one sang, and the littlest one danced in front of the Christmas tree. My children and grandchildren all live within walking distance. That was my dream, from those first Christmases, when I played with my dolls.

Children!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 06:20AM

I love the old school Christmas animation on TV.

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 10:53AM

Christmas could be a lot better if all these damn Hallmark Christmas movies could be bulldozed into a pile and burned. GOD those are sickening. And that Home Alone shit too. I'm to the point where I wish those two wet bandits would have gotten hold of Kevin and punched his lights out.

The only movie at Christmas I put my stamp of approval on is A Christmas Story with Ralphy. And Mr. Kruger's Christmas.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 12:31PM

We are bombardd up here too with It's a Wonderfull Life and Rudolph the Red Nosed Red Deer and an bunch of other stuff I avoid like the plague.

RB

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 01:19PM

I added a few more titles to my movie collection this year, so now I have.....

Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer (animated with Burl Ives), A Charlie Brown Christmas, A Christmas Story, Elf, A Christmas Carol (Alistair Sims version), Christmas Vacation, How The Grinch Stole Christmas (the animated classic), The Santa Clause, The Polar Express.

I won't start watching them until about a week before Christmas.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 01:52PM

White Christmas. Rosemary Clooney in that black dress. Yowza!

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 07:13PM

Now that I live near the Equator where every day and night is roughly 12 hours long, I miss the darkness of Christmas.

I miss the dark and the cold, the collar upturned against the wind, the long nights breaking into days that never quite get bright enough, the sun struggling to hang only low in the sky.

My breath white in the air and then disappearing.

Christmas is a burden, a cramp, breathlessness portending my certain end. To be sure, there are diversions of activity, carols and hot brandies, the glow of indoor hearths.

But outside, in the dark and cold, truth waits.

Posted by: elfling_notloggedin ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 08:56PM

I love almost everything about Xmas. Favorite movies: A Muppet Christmas Carol, A Child's Christmas in Wales, A Christmas Story.

I love the music, especially good english choirs like the Cambridge Singers, St. Pauls, Libera - but also Manhattan Transfer, Anna Sofie von Otter and the comedy Bob Rivers stuff.

I like decorating xmas cookies and chopping down the tree all of it.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 09:17PM

"Are you a real king?" The OP will get it!

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 09:19PM

Trans Siberian Orchestra!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.