Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 10:32PM

Driving through independence Missouri today and drove past a building that looked mo-like and thought it was, then it said "remnant church of Jesus Christ".

I've heard of reorganized but not this. So how many break-offs are there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 09:36PM

I'll bet the majority of these are basically one-family "tribes".

I mean, who *doesn't* want to be a prophet and king, right?

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 08:08AM

This was the brick schoolhouse-like structure just to the north of the CoC Temple, right? I thought this was the one that protested CoC's ordination of women to its priesthood and other things.

I'd like to know if that couple that ran the artwork shop on the east end of Nauvoo's main street is affiliated with them.....they sound like it.

The Temple Lot Church to the west of the CoC Temple has a bunch of brochures and someone to answer your questions on duty during office hours.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 10:58AM

Their leader is Frederick N. Larsen who is a direct descendant of Joseph Smith through a daughter of one of the RLDS Presidents. They are basically conservative RLDS who believe they have been called on to continue the original church:

https://www.theremnantchurch.com/

Posted by: formerrlds ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 10:10PM

A lot of the more conservative families I grew up with belong to this church or one of the other RLDS offshoots now. In my experience people in the fundie RLDS movement are nearly as insufferable as their LDS counterparts. But they also believe Brigham Young was an apostate .... :lol:

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 07:40AM

Do you have any idea how many have joined the Remnant LDS? And are there more people active in the Restoration Branches or in the actual Community of Christ? I notice the Community of Christ in my town was forced to sell its building and move into a small house for its services.

Posted by: formerrlds ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 09:17PM

I'm not really sure how many, probably a good 30 to 40 percent of RLDS members have left that church (which later became the CoC) and joined one or the other of the dissident groups. Independence Missouri is my hometown and there's a shitload of them there. LOL

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 09:06AM

This building was quite large as church buildings go, that's why I was surprised. It was in Independence off of 291 I think...I could be wrong on that. I've only seen a few tscc buildings here in a month and the temple a couple times. That is so refreshing.

I suppose though the thing I don'tlike is all the Christian radio stations. I listen to old rock, alternative and I think I finally found a station.

but inevitably I can seek through twenty stations and 18 are quotingscripture or having talks on stuff. Music sometimes. I mean,comeon. At least slc had some good stations.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.