Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 10:53AM

Friday afternoon I ran into a friend at the gym. After our workout we walked on a path outside for about an hour talking. We got into the topic on personality traits and I mentioned I was a strong INTJ. When I described the characteristics he felt he was identical. He was not familiar with the concept. I disagreed as he is quite social and a fun outgoing person in a group. I tend to hide in the background. We have had numerous polls in the past here and a large percentage of folks who post here are also INTJ or such as INFJ. There are many online tests if you are not familiar. Here is one: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

A quick search on the topic shows that "Among the many personality types, INTJs are not common. In the United States, there is only an estimated 2% who are INTJs. When broken down by gender, only about 2% are women and 3% men." http://www.josephchris.com/10-intj-strengths-and-weaknesses Other sites also claim INTJs are rather rare - 2 to 4% of the population, yet we are quite common here.

One site mentioned INTJs are the people least likely to believe in god. My friend commented he felt the same. He is also a retired engineer and a voracious reader.

I just thought this interesting and on a slow rainy Monday post this brief tidbit.

Here are some previous discussions:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,920178

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,920685

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 11:01AM

I always test INTJ. I am so glad because I always wanted to belong to a superior group of people since Mormons turned out not to be that even thought that is their claim. Kidding of course. Well, only about the INTJ superiority, not the legendary Mormon thing.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 11:06AM

I am INFJ, and the first time I came to RfM (as the result of a Google search), this place immediately felt like H-O-M-E...

I'm still here!!

;)

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 11:08AM

Though I am not ex-mo, but nevermo/ex-catholic/non-theist, I am also INTJ. If you are familiar with enneagrams, I am type 5 (The Thinker).

My wife and I recently tested ourselves with StrengthsFinder (which was developed by a Mormon), where my top five strengths are: Intellection, Relator, Strategic, Learner, Analytical.

The most interesting thing about StrengthsFinder is that my Mormon wife's strengths and weaknesses are almost exactly the opposite of mine; which may explain a lot about our different views on religion and the existence of god.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2016 11:09AM by GregS.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 11:20AM

My top five are Input, Intellection, Adaptability, Responsibility, Arranger. I actually wonder if it would change if I took it now.

I like the human metrics version of the MBTI because it gives percentages rather than just either/or. My ToP professor explained that no one is 100% of really anything and even people who score around the same in these percentages may not be alike because every experiences life differently. A friend who is certified to give the MBTI professionally explained that in the end, you actually decide which characterisitcs are stronger with in you.

I usually score slightly higher on Extraversian, but it's pretty close with Introversion and the rest is NTJ.

NTs: The only ones who know what's going on:

http://www.projectevolove.com/public/ynforum_photo/7f/4e/01/14c32_5452.jpg?c=a31d

Date: December 05, 2016 11:45AM

I round out my top 10 with Activator, Input, Restorative, Ideation, and Deliberative.

My top five weaknesses are: WOO (Winning Others Over), Positivity, Maximizer, Includer, Competition.

My wife's top 5 strengths include WOO, Positivity, Belief, and Responsibility (I can't remember the fifth).

Our friend, who is very involved with StrengthsFinder/Strengths Strategy and uber-TBM, thinks that my wife and I are an interesting case study because we are both in each other's "blind spots" and yet seem to make our marriage work. She thinks that our saving grace is that I have Relator in my top five and that Relator is relatively high for my wife. In other words, we relate well enough with each other that we manage to complement, rather than oppose, each other.

Date: December 05, 2016 11:47AM

Now you got me wondering how often Woo is a strength for Mormons versus Exmormons.

I think I scored the lowest in both Woo and Competition as well.

Date: December 05, 2016 12:04PM

I've wondered about it myself and have periodically done an internet search to see if there has been any research on any religious correlation (not just Mormon), but have found none beyond the occasional anecdotal story.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 11:16AM

I just took the test. I came out as INTJ.

So, I guess I was destined not to be a good fit for mormonism. Interesting.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 11:21AM

I don't understand any of this conversation, are you guys sure you're not Scientologists??

(Insert multiple winking smiley faces here)

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 11:28AM

Well, your point is perfectly "clear!"

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 11:25AM

I've scored INTJ on this test in the past. This morning I reached a slightly different score and got ISFJ.

I'm marginally an introvert over extrovert. Same with sensory over intuition.

Feeling was marginally higher than thinking. And marginal (by 1%,) of judging over perception.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 11:34AM

INTP or ENTP here -- My wifey is INTJ, though, and is a church quitter

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 11:59AM

Interesting. I'm also INTJ.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 12:10PM

Took the test Erik linked to.

Re-confirmed that I am INTJ.

I'm guessing that the affinity of the group here is well based on the commonality of our INTJ-ness, as well as similar closely related outcomes.

Posted by: I'mjustsayin ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 12:24PM

Strong INTJ here. Had an interesting experience with this test in my professional program years ago at university.

We all took the test and separated into our characteristic groups in the classroom. We INTJ's were in the back of the class and immediately began to express our skepticism that such a test could possibly determine or predict how we would function in real life.

While we were having this discussion the instructor asked, "where are the INTJ's? Ah, there you are in the back. Let me guess, you're back there talking about how this little test couldn't possibly be accurate or have any real meaning for yourselves. Right?"

Right. I had to rethink my impression of the test. I believe INTJ's as a group are willing to change their minds about things when presented with good evidence contradicting previously held ideas and attitudes.

Sound familiar?

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 12:34PM

I was ENFP. Of course, if I filled this out again in a few days, it could very well be different, who knows?

Extravert(3%) iNtuitive(16%) Feeling(25%) Perceiving(3%)

I really think my job has helped me be more extraverted rather than introverted. I used to be pretty shy.

Posted by: Ohdeargoodness nli ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 01:03PM

INFJ:
Introvert(38%) iNtuitive(41%) Feeling(12%) Judging(34%)
You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (38%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (41%)
You have slight preference of Feeling over Thinking (12%)
You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (34%)

I suspect had I tested when I first joined, the F would have been a T. I've made a concerted effort to get more in touch with my feelings lately... it is what it is.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 01:27PM

When I compare my percentages to yours, I'm much more on the fence to all four groups. The one where I'm 1% difference, the results told me I actually fall into both groups of ISFJ and ISFP.

Oy, I can't keep them all straight. One of my favorite authors was an ISFJ, so I'm happy about that (Louisa May Alcott.)

Introvert(6%) Sensing(6%) Feeling(22%) Judging(1%)
You have slight preference of Introversion over Extraversion (6%)
You have slight preference of Sensing over Intuition (6%)
You have slight preference of Feeling over Thinking (22%)
You have marginal or no preference of Judging over Perceiving (1%)

Posted by: Ohdeargoodness nli ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 01:48AM

Yes, I have a tendency to be very black and white. I think it has to do with my PTSD and my tendency to run very hot or very cold. Who knows?

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 01:05PM

and-always-come-out-INTJ-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: kvothe ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 01:08PM

Yep, I just posted a week or so ago that I was INTJ. Too funny!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 01:15PM

INTJ here. :)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 01:18PM

INTJs are big on consistency, logic, evidence, and fairness. They tend to go into STEM professions. They are good with details, lousy at sucking up. Think: Dilbert. If male and LDS, they often get Ward clerk callings.

I'm personally of the opinion that Aspies are INTJs on steroids, or INTJs are people that didn't quite qualify as Aspies, if you prefer. Not only is RFM thick with INTJs, but it has way more than its share of Aspies, especially female Aspies.

Of course there are plenty of people here who clearly are not INTJ. Looking at you, Shannon. :). Even here, we are a minority, but we are a much bigger minority than in the general population.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2016 01:21PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: 2thdoc ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 01:43PM

I have always tested as an INTJ and am usually at 100 on Introvert (I read "Would you rather go to a party or stay home and read a book," and I'm all, "well, duh, who even writes these stupid questions").

With hindsight, it is obvious that I spent 30+ plus years trying to shove my square-self into the Mormon-circle hole. I was miserable but unable or unwilling to admit it. Thankfully, I finally came across info that showed me it was all a hoax, and I was able to free myself from that community where I clearly didn't fit.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 02:30PM

Also an I (62%) N (62%) T (62%) J (41%). I can be outgoing when I need to be, but it is exhausting. Probably why I love working with the thing (system) rather than the people at work.

As for the strength finder, I was just packing my office (moving to another floor) and found my book. I am in no particular order Context, Intellection, Learner, Maximizer, and Responsibility.

Posted by: josephbworthless ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 02:58PM

INFJ here

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 03:22PM

ENTJ

Extravert(12%) iNtuitive(6%) Thinking(28%) Judging(22%)
You have slight preference of Extraversion over Introversion (12%)
You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (6%)
You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (28%)
You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 09:04PM

ENTJ too!

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 03:36PM

INTJ -- Introvert(78%) iNtuitive(9%) Thinking(1%) Judging(16%)

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 03:47PM

Gatorman took the test and scored INTJ....

Gatorman
8-4
6-1

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 04:17PM

I'm an introvert, and I'm watching you, and thinking about what I think of you.

That's how I tested out, and I'd say it's pretty accurate. Being this way probably played a big part in me leaving Mormonism. I was quietly watching everyone, and I mean everyone including the babies to the oldest people in the ward. I'd watch, think about what I saw, and then came to the conclusion that almost everyone in that building was miserable being there on some level. After seeing that for years in several different wards, I had to question why I was there, and why others were there, in spite of not wanting to be there. It seemed like a huge waste of time, money, effort, and it was making people angry and miserable.

These days Google is a good place to go if you're trying to figure out what makes a group of people tick. When you do that with Mormonism, you learn a lot of things you may not have known. First of all you find out how incredibly dishonest the church leaders are, and have been. That alone answered the question of why people are miserable there. They're being used, and they're exhausted. There's no joy, no comfort, nothing that makes life better. You give until you die, and your told to do that anxiously, and be happy about it. If you don't, there's something wrong with you. Not exactly the road to joy and happiness. e

Posted by: Portland Pupa ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 07:12PM

INTJ here too. I was the one who helped my wife see the truth about the real Mo Hx. We both left with our three kids sixteen years ago. Maybe my INTJ type helped me be more critical. My wife thinks she never would have figured it out on her own. She is not my personality type to be sure. She was not one to question at the time. Now she is an excellent free-thinker. People can change for the better and it is wonderful. Thank you all on exmormon.org!!!

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 09:36PM

ISTP

Posted by: frequent poster ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 09:51PM

INTJ, every damn time, over a number of years, female. I stick out like a sore thumb in most groups.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 10:00PM

Yep, I sure am.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 10:22PM

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 08:48AM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 10:50AM

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 02:22PM

As an INTJ, I thank you for this. ;^)

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 02:43PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MB personality tests...the horoscopes of the
> present day :)

Thanks hie, what took you so long?

I'm a capricorn myself. I'm also yellow with a strong streak of blue. I forgot how I scored on my enneagram but I think it was Observer.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 12:33AM

When I take the MBTI it always says I am an arsehole.

Date: December 08, 2016 09:35AM

rt Wrote:
> Thanks hie, what took you so long?

Sorry, I was traveling for business -- and I was surprised nobody else had pointed out the lack of validity of the MB tests!

> I'm a capricorn myself. I'm also yellow with a
> strong streak of blue. I forgot how I scored on my
> enneagram but I think it was Observer.

OMG, I'm a capricorn, too! That explains so much! That just has to mean horoscopes are real, too! ;-)

Date: December 08, 2016 10:12AM

MBTI.

It is controversial in the psychology community among researchers and it needs much more tweaking. I personally think the OCEAN test is more reliable as a test to quantify personality traits, but I think the MBTI is helpful too, , especially when it's on the percentage scale instead of a strict ratio.

I am way too tired and about to go take a Stats test, so I don't have a hell of a lot of time or energy to qualify my statements, but we do discuss these issues often in psych courses, why there are issues with research and testing. It's not like we simply accept anything that comes our way.

Date: December 08, 2016 10:17AM

Itzpapalotl Wrote:
> I am way too tired and about to go take a Stats
> test, so I don't have a hell of a lot of time or
> energy to qualify my statements, but we do discuss
> these issues often in psych courses, why there are
> issues with research and testing. It's not like we
> simply accept anything that comes our way.

Good luck on the test! I predict with 95% confidence that you'll pass with flying colors! ;-)

It wasn't the psychologists who debate the value/validity of tests I was aiming at, itz. But I think you knew that...?

Date: December 08, 2016 10:22AM

Thank you. If I get a C I'll be happy. We're going to do a study sesh right before, so that should help. I love the subject but hate the process, but I can confidently say it has improved my understaning of how research is portrayed and misinterpreted by media outlets.

Personality tests are a problem with how they're set up, but I think you know that, too. People can be terrible about self-reporting and of course people feel differently from day to day. My Agreeableness on the OCEAN test ranges from 1%-10% on any given day. :D

Date: December 08, 2016 10:27AM

Itzpapalotl Wrote:
> Personality tests are a problem with how they're
> set up, but I think you know that, too.

Yep :) Among other problems...

> People can
> be terrible about self-reporting and of course
> people feel differently from day to day. My
> Agreeableness on the OCEAN test ranges from 1%-10%
> on any given day. :D

I suspect there's a correlation between your "agreeableness" score and the results of statistics tests...but I'm currently unable to reject the null hypothesis :)

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 10:35AM

I am no expert. Unfortunately I had to take the MBTI test a few times in my career. It is by no means perfect. I believe it is an indicator only of a personality - introvert, extrovert, thinker, etc. I took the test once with 10 others in a group who were all considered senior management such as the HR manager, CFO, purchasing manager and the like. The CFO is a STEM occupation, but not involved in the technical aspects of running a plant. The 10 were all non-engineering types and I was the lone technical manager. I was the only one to score INTJ. The others discussed how their being extroverts and other similar traits, opposite of mine, were best suited for management. It was awkward. I was glad to get out of that 2 hour useless meeting. Being an introvert can be uncomfortable.

We have discussed many times that introversion and Mormonism are not a good match.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2016 10:41AM by Eric K.

Posted by: raisedbyjackmormons ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 10:50AM

Husband and I are both INTJ, both leaning ISTJ. Marriage is supposed to be tough, take work... ours doesn't. He is a pretty devoted Catholic and I, while baptized Mormon, have my own beliefs and don't go to a church. I would honestly rather go to prison for life than be LDS. Nothing feels more wrong. I watch my Mormon relatives and thank my lucky stars that I never got sucked into that life of living hell.

Posted by: nightwolf983 ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 01:28PM

I usually come out an INTJ. Every now and then I get INFJ or ISTP, but the first initial never changes. I'm pretty flexible and a lot of the time whether I think or feel, sense or understand, or percieve or judge depends on the situation. I don't have a preference, but I believe in being practical.

The ability to think critically is probably a deciding factor in getting out of the moron church, or staying out if you're lucky enough to have been born outside of it.

Posted by: Dee ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 04:42PM

I'm also INTJ and never saw what attracted my husband to this religion. it makes no sense and I don't admire the lifestyle at all.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 04:56PM

It seems that we can conclude that the majority of people who give up on the good ship LDS are INTJ or near to it...

Imma wonderin'...

How many active TBMs are INTJ? (Is it just a matter of time for them to see the truth?)

Which M/B profile is dominant in the ranks of the Mormon elite? (Are there ANY INTJ's in the ranks of mo royalty?)

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 06:02PM

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 07:12PM

INTJ, and I'm not even an exmormon ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2016 07:12PM by cinda.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 09:09PM

I haven't done one of these for awhile. Maybe I'll give it a go.

My concern is that every time I take this test I get a different result. That bothers me (not about the test--I'm sure it's fine--but about me.)

Not surprising, however--I trust myself least of all.

Posted by: elfling_notloggedin ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 11:07PM

INTJ here -

Posted by: LifeFromANewView ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 11:42PM

Intj(confirmed many times) Exmormon and Agnostic Theist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2016 11:45PM by lifefromanewview.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 12:24AM

Wow. Am I the only ESTJ here?

The ESTJ is outspoken, a person of principles, which are readily expressed. The ESTJ is not afraid to stand up for what he or she believes is right even in the face of overwhelming odds. ESTJs are able to make the tough calls.

Occupations attracting ESTJs include teaching, coaching, banking, political office, and management at all levels.

Posted by: de ja vue ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 02:03PM

ISTP Introvert(31%) Sensing(3%) Thinking(1%) Perceiving(6%)

Moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (31%)
Marginal or no preference of Sensing over Intuition (3%)
Marginal or no preference of Thinking over Feeling (1%)
Slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (6%)

Not sure what the significance is, other than we are all alike yet different some how. Maybe I need to study this stuff more.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 04:02PM

I'm pretty much an INFP.

Mormonism isn't a great fit for any of the introverted personality types.

However, Internet forums are a good fit for introverts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2016 04:03PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 08:23PM

I'm a serious introvert to the point of being agoraphobic. It's clinical, and treated with medication. There's no place for me in Mormonism, even if I wanted it. You don't get the option of not attending or speaking. My personality is avoidant.

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 04:28PM

I'm an INTP.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 07:21PM

I'm an ISTJ.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2016 07:22PM by want2bx.

Posted by: Pariah ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 01:52AM

INTJ! I just took the test for the first time, knowing nothing about it.

I like the statement: "The best decision is one that can be easily changed"! I have always been a commitment-phobe.

I used to be an extrovert in all the I-E tests in college and grad school, when I was having a good time. I did have a few setbacks that caused me to develop PTSD, which led me into being an introvert.

In reading those test questions about loud noises, crowds, being the center of attention, parties--I've been there done that, and now I prefer to be an introvert. I'm happy alone with my books, and with only my immediate family, and I'm capable of loving them very much. Having the Mormons shun me is a relief! The Mormon harassment made me very unhappy.

I wonder how much of our "introversion" is us just running away from an abusive cult full of obnoxious intruders. In my case, I think I was driven into becoming an introvert, out of self-preservation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.