Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 09:08PM

A secular Jewish friend of mine posted a link on Facebook to the story of the BYU student and her bare shoulders art project. He was stunned by the backwardness of BYU and the church. Others of his friends chimed in with their opinions of not only the story but of Mormonism in general. Very well informed opinions. And not at all favorable. Aw, poor ChurchCo, the world knows too much about them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 10:04PM

Good. The more negative publicity, the better.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 10:06PM

I shared it on my social media.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 08:58AM

Me too. Want as much exposure as possible!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 12:49AM

I hope it puts a stink on that shithole that the cult can never get rid of.

RB

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 01:20AM

That's why I say, "It depends" when people claim that you can get a good education at BYU. BYU's studio art department offers an inferior education.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 08:01AM

the byui honor code says no shorts and no faded jeans....
Wow! It's like 1955 all over again. Also BYUI is more strict in honor code than BYU Provo is.

Anyone know why?
http://kutv.com/news/local/byu-idaho-student-gets-no-grade-for-art-project-that-shows-bare-shoulders

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 12:25PM

I think Ricks/BYU-I has always been more strict than BYU in order to make up for its inferiority complex. "We might not be the real BYU, but we can be holier than them."

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 01:22PM

Rexburg and what the Hell ever they currently call Ricks college makes Provo seem like Las Vegas.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 09:37AM

I started at YBU as an art major way back in the 70s. It only took me one semester to realize what a mistake I'd made. Changed my major to geology.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 09:44AM

fossilman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I started at YBU as an art major way back in the
> 70s. It only took me one semester to realize what
> a mistake I'd made. Changed my major to geology.

Maybe you should have changed schools instead...? ;-)

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 12:00PM

Yeah, probably. But the geology department was pretty good at the time. They always taught evolution and a 4.6 my old earth as fact. Actually, several of the profs at the time were very well known and respected in their fields of specialty - Rigby, Hinze, Phillips, Best, Hamblin. I did my masters there as well, but went to a Big Ten school for my Ph.D. I mostly just mention my terminal degree now to people interested in where I went to school.

But yeah, any number of other schools would have been just as good or better for geology, and ANY OTHER school would have been better for art.

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 01:57PM

I read about that. She looked decent.

Posted by: exsoeurorleans ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 02:11PM

OMG - I didn't realize they can't even wear capri pants or flip-flops on campus - how odd is that??? What's wrong with capri pants? Oh - gasp!! - someone might see your .... ANKLES??? And flip-flops? What do those YBU students wear on their feet in the summertime? Socks and hiking boots?? So totally ridiculous

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 02:12PM

In the 1980's, BYU and LDS inc had their excellence in the 80's program which constantly begged for more money ( MOReMONey) for BYU even after ripping members for tithing and students for tuition. They also had a very over priced catalog. It was just over an inch thick. It was made out of some the crummiest cheapest crap paper ever seen! It looked they had rolled paper out of a mixture of saw dust and cracked wheat. They charged 8 $ for the POS, which may not seem like a lot ......unless a person is already broke from going on a mission, paying tithing and then attempting to go to OVER PRICED BYU, then it was just more gouging by LDS inc. Right in the middle of the catalog,in high contrast to the trash paper of the regular pages was 6 or 7 super high quality heavy weight pages which featured photos from the St Jerome wood cut printings collection. The St Jerome woodcut printings were a big deal because the catholic church had kept tight control of the bible for many centuries, THE (catholic) church had finally agreed to let the bible be viewed by common members of the catholic religion. Most of them could not read so Saint Jerome commissioned a series of drawings which were made into wood cut printing to help present the contents of the bible to those who could not read. BYU and THE ( MORmON) church were super proud of this acquisition of Catholic relics which were housed in the special collections section of the Harold B Lee library at BYU. One of the printings was a depiction of the resurrection day, which featured Jesus with a sword stuck in one ear and flower coming out of the other ear as He lead the procession of the dead coming out of their graves. The dead also happened to be naked ( without temple robes !!!) and there were depictions of human anatomy including anatomy which indicated gender/ sex. LDS inc and BYU were super proud of these relics of the great and abominable church's administration and so LDS inc/ BYU had prominently displayed them in the Harodl B Lee Library ..............and in their official catalog. Strange thing .............. IF any student had blown up that depiction that depiction from the catalog to the same size as it was displayed in the HBLee library and then prominently displayed it on campus then they probably would have been arrested, harshly disciplined, probably expelled. A student could have been disciplined for having it displayed in their dorm room -the same printing that was on display at the HB Lee Library !!!!!

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 03:04PM

If I'd been her professor, I'd have given her a d-
Since she turned it in, I suppose she shouldn't have made a failing grade, but as an artist, I can tell you, it's not much.

In fact, I'll bet if you got to the bottom of the story, she did it in about 3 minutes and came to class with an attitude.

My vote is for the professor. Though he should have kept his mouth shut about the bare shoulders. That was stupid.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 12:46PM

dimmesdale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In fact, I'll bet if you got to the bottom of the
> story, she did it in about 3 minutes and came to
> class with an attitude.

You'll lose that bet. Read the article.

> My vote is for the professor. Though he should
> have kept his mouth shut about the bare shoulders.
> That was stupid.

This wasn't an art class. It was a humanities class, and the assignment was to do photos representing a concept.
Hers were rejected from even being graded *solely* because of bare shoulders. Not for any other reason.
The "dress code" applies to students attending classes. There's no mention in the "dress code" about the standard applying to photo projects, the professor himself showed nude statues in the class, and no guidance beforehand was given to indicate to students that photos that violate the "dress code" wouldn't even be graded.

Yes, the professor was stupid. From start to finish.

Posted by: Former Ricks Man ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 11:15PM

This all comes out during the annual giving drive. I had been getting calls every couple of days at either horrible times so I would tell them can't talk now or wouldn't answer. I didn't answer their last call so they sent me an email. I responded that I was embarrassed by the story and told them to take me off their list because I wouldn't donate to an institution that did such stupid things.

A couple of days later I got an email saying they removed me from the donor list but said it was possible I could get calls or emails over the next couple of days but I could ignore them.

Then they thanked my for my prior donations and gave me the address where I could send future donations if I was so moved by the spirit.

LOL

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.