Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 05:47PM

I was reading a blog today. It was political and so I can't repeat it here but it was about Tom Cruise and a new movie. There were several comments on his obsession with Scientology. One respondent mentioned that at least Mormons are "one notch down" from Scientology.

I would think that this would be a comparison that doesn't say much about Mormonism as a positive forceā€”one notch down?

As much as I don't like Mormonism, Scientology is a science of something isn't right in the head of its followers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: atouchscreendarkly ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 07:46PM

While I, like many here, I'm sure, harbor intense anger toward the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; that is a wide notch. I understand the comparison. There are disturbing corollaries. Still, "one notch?"

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 12:43AM

Mormonism camouflages its crazy better.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 08:08PM

Arguing about which is a worse cult- Scientology or Mormonism is like arguing over if you'd rather have Ebola or HIV. Either option sucks.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 08:51AM

I was already quite familiar with Scientology before I married my Mormon wife four years ago, though I knew next to nothing about Mormonism. I'm a sci-fi fan and I had more than a passing curiosity about how a religion, obviously made up by a sci-fi hack, could pass itself off as legit.

Because of increasing pressure from her, missionaries, and ward members to convert; I finally began my research into Mormonism. One of the first things that struck me was, "Holy crap! This is a 19th century version of Scientology."

My wife was incensed when I pointed out the similarities of the two, "We are nothing like Scientology! They are an evil cult!!"

Uh huh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2016 08:52AM by GregS.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 09:04AM

I'd be interested to hear more on the similarities between the two.

Date: December 08, 2016 09:37AM

There's a lot out there if you search "Scientology Mormonism". Off the top of my head:

-- David Miscavige = Brigham Young

-- Kolob = Galactic Confederacy

-- Dianetics = Book of Mormon, neither of which resembled later teachings

-- Hero worship of Hubbard and Smith

-- Predatory practices of both Hubbard and Smith

-- Excuses for crazy doctrine and revelations

-- Doling out "advanced knowledge" to members who have demonstrated a willingness to swallow the garbage they'd already been fed.

-- Claiming that all critics are liars or "anti-", which should be dismissed and avoided.

-- Promises of special abilities to faithful members, and yet nobody has ever received what only Smith or Hubbard only claimed to have

-- Audits and Patriarchal Blessings

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 09, 2016 12:57PM

Also, demeaning non-believers.

Going after anyone who leaves.

Deceptive recruitment tactics.

Authoritative supervision of reading material and day to day life choices.

Excessive money and time demands from members.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: December 09, 2016 06:29PM

Some missions are pretty benign, but in my mission we had to wear a particular blue suit, and our coats and hats had to be blue too like a uniform, we were not supposed to by food to be consumed outside of our apartments, and we had a special handbook with extra rules in addition to the white handbook. We were supposed to work many extra hours than those recommended in the handbook, and we were supposed to skip eating dinner so we could spend more time tracting. We were supposed to report to our mission president any infraction or lack of obedience we saw in our companion or district or zone leaders. We were invited in public meetings to out the behavior of disobedient missionaries in the presence of all the other missionaries.

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: December 09, 2016 12:01AM

Those comparisons are all good. I would add Audits = Worthiness Interviews.

Date: December 09, 2016 11:50AM

Yes, that is a better comparison. I was grasping for something that would compare with Audits, but Patriarchal Blessing was the only thing coming to me.

Having been neither a Scientologist nor a Mormon, I lack some of the ingrained terminology for either.

Regardless, the upshot is that I got the same vibe from Mormonism that I did from Scientology a decade earlier.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.