Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 10, 2016 01:29AM

I wonder if he had some heavy gambling debt?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: December 10, 2016 02:06AM

Why do I find stories like this to be so hilarious?

The sad truth here that goes behind the headline is that there are people that suffered devastating losses because of this slimebag. But having another lying shitbag Mormon in a suit exposed for what he really is always puts a smile on my face.

As we all know, under the veneer of pressed suits, white shirts, smiling faces, happy families, and all-around Mormon wholesomeness, there is a rot that festers.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 10, 2016 02:36AM

Was he into polygamy?
Maybe they'll hide him at Colorado City...

I Know the $ will be welcome there, no questions asked...

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 10, 2016 07:46AM

AMERICAN GREED tv show aired recently (from a few years ago):

"Today there was yet another article about an individual who held a position of trust in the LDS Church and used that position to commit fraud. U.S. District Judge Marcia Krieger sentenced Shawn Merriman to 12½ years in federal prison this afternoon for defrauding 67 victims out of $21 million. Merriman was a Bishop in the LDS Church in Colorado and raised the money from friends, neighbors and fellow church members. The government seized roughly $4 million in fine art , antique cars, sports memorabilia and animal trophies collected on his safari trips when they arrested him.

... before he was caught Mr. Merriman put together some sort of a traveling exhibit for his art called “The Renaissance of Faith in Art,” which included about two hundred prints by Renaissance artists including Rembrandt van Rijn, Albrecht Durer, is the fact that before he was caught Mr. Merriman put together some sort of a traveling exhibit for his art called “The Renaissance of Faith in Art,” which included about two hundred prints by Renaissance artists including Rembrandt van Rijn, Albrecht Durer, Lucas van Leyden and Peter Paul Rubens. The exhibit was primarily displayed in LDS wards and stake centers in Denver. Even the Mormon Times wrote a glowing article about this guy and how his art collection promotes the Church. He has now been excommunicated.

The SEC’s Complaint against Mr. Merriman can be read here."

Note: Another FUpost calling me off the rfm and into reality.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2016 07:57AM by readwrite.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: December 11, 2016 06:35PM

Interesting.

There was an article some years ago that the Church bought Rembrandt prints.
Wonder if they bought through this guy?

Anyway,I just remember thinking at the time that there should be a better use for tithing $ than buying Rembrandt prints.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 10, 2016 10:19AM

My BIL is dead now. He passed away suddenly in 2012. He graduated from. BYU with a PR masters in 1971. He and two LDS friends opened a PR firm in Phoenix, and almost immediately it went to the top. He really prospered, but it meant long hours and hard work. About 10 years later, one of the active LDS partners absconded with the whole account, and the company was financially responsible. BIL and partner tried for years to pay it all back and keep the business going, but after the incident, there were fewer people willing to risk business with them. Eventually they went bankrupt. He got a job as PR manager for the Harlem Globetrotters for several years, but it was 365 days a year, 24/7. When his daughter got married, the Globetrotters would not let him go to the wedding, so he quit, and that began his real decline. When he passed away, be had a low paying job teaching at a local community college, and his wife had become a mentally ill hoarder. The decline all had to do with his LDS partner, whom they and the church protected so as not to cause problems.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 10, 2016 08:00PM

that was an interesting story ......now tell us about the guy who ripped him off and ruined him, and how he went on to be bishop, stake president, and stake patriarch and is living high on the hog!

Posted by: Whirlwind ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 02:43AM

This problem goes way back! First, I married a man who was raised Mormon in the late 60’s (jack Mormon - he never went to church, but once before we were married). I was raised a Baptist, so to appease both sides, we were married in both churches the same day (mistake #1). About a year later we learned that the bishop who had married us (and, whom we baby-sat for) had kidnapped a child, taking her or him across state lines. He was sentenced to prison, but the church covered it up ‘tighter than a drum’ and we never found out any of the details!

Long story short, the marriage was highly volatile from day one, sixteen yrs. later, I filed for a divorce. He eventually, got a young girl pregnant and ended up marrying her, so I thought I would finally be free of him (with the exception of my kids), only to find that he’d married her for recruitment purposes to come after me - using my youngest to do it (my other two were grown by this time)! What happened was she found a dirty Mormon attorney to file an emergency exparte motion for custody without me having any due process. What I found to be strange was where did the money come from to retain this attorney? It wasn’t like he’d ran into him at church since, he didn't go to church! I knew something was up, but didn’t know what until, a few years later when I found he was running to family court telling them one story to get out of paying child support, and then running over to bankruptcy court to tell them something completely different about his money coming in so that the Trustee wouldn’t throw him into a Chapter 7. What was found in his bankruptcy was shocking, but explained where the money came from. First, I found that he had taken a 2nd. mortgage out on his house (about 30K) and soon after that he had taken out an unsecured loan from Deseret Federal Credit Union in the amount of nearly 200K. He was able to pull off this FRAUD due to his best friend (while, growing up) brother working there. I will always believe that he used the money to pay for this dirty attorney and to pay off the dirty judge who I ended up suing all of them in federal court!! Later, Deseret began foreclosure proceeding on the home and he filed for bankruptcy to not only put a stay on the home (for years, living rent free) but to leave Desert Federal Credit Union holding the bag in the tune of almost 200K!! The Credit Union was taken over by the FBI charging the President with embezzlement and sentencing him to prison, but once again, the few details were slim to none coming from the church regardless, that one of their own members “taking them for a ride for close to a quarter of million dollars”! Not sure how the friends brother wiggled out of all of it because, he was just as dirty. Must have thrown the President under the buss because, last I heard was he was working in the Social Security Dept.

BOTTOM LINE … The mormon church is the problem ~ protecting these people!!

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 10, 2016 11:10AM

It's amazing what you can live with when you have a "Get out of Hell Free" card.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: December 10, 2016 11:14AM

Certainly its not just a mormon thing but it sure seems to pop up often in the all about jeebus cults...perhaps the prosperity gospel does make fools of us all...anything to appear blessed and approved...no poor peckerheads ever get called to the quorum ya know..cept for ol boyd ....or seldom as stake president even...narcissism and sociopathy sure seem a common theme in moism...especially in leadership...mayhaps theres a genetic component to it going way back...joey and briggy had no problem screwing around with peoples lives...and the lap dogs who surrounded them seemed to get off licking boots and dining on the scraps from the big table ...even killing if called on....the rest got booted or blood atoned...it takes a certain type of special asshole to inflict plygmy on women just cuz you can...and to see no problem in doing so...pimp comes to mind....celestial marriage my ass...whew now where were we...oh yeah...peckerheads in positions of trust

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: December 10, 2016 12:05PM

It is Affinity Fraud, defrauding people in your close social network.

Mormonism is a perfect set up. Mormons are tight knit, isolated from others outside their community, think of themselves as "special" or "chosen", and have unrealistic beliefs about priesthood holders and those in Mormon positions of authority.

Criminals exploit this situation of people deliberately keeping their guard down. The criminals also benefit from the Mormons not wanting anything to hurt the wholesome Mormon reputation. There is pressure not to report or call attention to the fraudsters. This can help the fraudsters avoid prosecution and set up shop again in another Mormon community.

It happens in other communities as well, but Mormonism really does seem particularly well suited for this crime.

Posted by: Kathleen nli ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 04:33AM

Every time I see this thread I think, "Oh crap it's my son!"

He shunned us so we don't know what he's up to.

Then I see the picture. Not him. Then I think some other mom said, "Oh crap it's my son!" --and he really is.

Posted by: SonOfLaban ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 04:54AM

I am feeling worthier by the minute as I read of these upstanding men. If you know of truly rotted behavior of respectable members of society, please share.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/5063962-155/sex-assault-not-family-issues-allegedly

Posted by: SonOfLaban ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 04:59AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 07:21AM

Again ?

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 11:20AM

Still Dave...still...its the best reason to read the trib and your seldom disappointed...hardly a week goes by....fun watching shirtless and swallow get some pretend justice in good ol zion...wink wink...doing the sign you been nailed...couple months of pennance and theyll be called up to greater positions of usefulness on the bridge of the good ship...rotten...right to the core...old kids joke ...whats worse than biting into an apple and finding a worm...biting into an apple and finding half a swallow

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.