Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Landon ( )
Date: December 13, 2016 09:14PM

I'd like to start off with saying, this is my first time posting on here. I appreciate ANY advice that would help me in this situation...

When I was about 12 or 13 years old I started having "little doubts" about the church and it's teachings. I went to everyone I could think of to get answers;my teachers, my bishop my parents,etc. Without hesitation each of them told me to pray and I would receive testimony. So being the little TBM deacon I was, I prayed,read my scriptures, fasted, everything I could think of for 2 months. I didn't receive an answer. From that time forth my doubts became issues and I didn't believe.but I pushed it aside and went to church like I was happy

When I was almost 16 I started researching the issues I had, the real intellectual, and logical way. But those few questions soon turned into hundreds of more questions. In my search for truth I found mormonthink.com and the exmormon website. And I studied all the questions I had and more. I never really had a testimony but after studying the FACTS I dont think I will ever have one.

Unfortunately, my TBM parents feel differently. They think it will all just blow off and I'll have a great testimony of the church, I just need to have "faith" and "ask diligently"
I'm honestly very scared of telling my parents 1) because I'm so young and 2) my mom has hinted about taking away my clothes, phone, car, and kicking me out of the house if I will not try to have the church in my life. I have not told them yet. Should I tell them my thoughts and feelings? How should I go about telling them? I need advice. How would you go about leaving the cult at my age? Also out of curiosity, when did you all leave the church?

Thanks-------- Landon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: December 13, 2016 09:31PM

First- congrats for figuring out the church is a scam. Something your parents haven't (or will admit ).
Second- they will kick you out & throw your future into doubt.
I's just smile, go through the motions until you can stand on your own two feet. Get out of High School, go to college (if that's your goal) and get a good job where you're not dependent on your parents. To bail now, with the threats that your parents made will be difficult. They, and the church, have played you for 16 years. You can play them until you have a good solution. Good luck!

Posted by: butterfly48 ( )
Date: December 13, 2016 09:35PM

Landon-
My boy, you are so smart and curious and doing the right thing. I do not have answers for you as I only dated a TBM for a year and I am a NeverMO. In that year he totally made a disturbance in my spirit. I then did what you did and started asking questions. The more I learned I sicker I got.
I hope I never see that evil human again. The church is NOT a church, it is a CULT.
You will get a lot of support on here and a lot of answers for what to do from people who have been in your position.
I needed to write to say: I applaud you. Tears came to my eyes when I read your post and I shouted YOU GO LANDON!!!! to my computer. To you. Stay curious. Young. Hungry, Scrappy. You will find that it is a cult and it will be hard, but you are doing the right thing. You are too smart for a cult and you are supposed to ask questions in real life. Keep asking and welcome. Everyone here will help you!!! BRAVE COURAGEOUS YOU!!!!
Butterfly.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 13, 2016 09:45PM

You are very fortunate to be thinking for yourself at such a young age. The Mormon church clearly does not stand up to scrutiny and you have been honest enough with yourself to look at all the facts and come to your own conclusions. I am impressed.

You don't owe anyone, even your parents, your deepest thoughts. Keep them to yourself. Just because they are your parents doesn't mean they have a right to know all of your feelings and opinions. Silence is a great tool. Use it.

Don't plan on leaving the cult yet physically. You are already out mentally and since you are a minor and dependent on your parents it is best to follow their direction. You won't be the first to have to put up with something not of your choosing for a while. If pressed on a question, just say you are studying it carefully and thoughtfully. This usually satisfies. They will be sure you will come to the conclusion they want you to reach and there is no reason they should be informed otherwise. The Mormon church is a cult, as you say, and you need to play the game knowing that.

Play your cards close to your chest. Listen to your parents respectfully, but always make up your own mind. Work hard in school. Get a part time job if you can and start saving so that you can be independent as soon as you are an adult. Independence is the best thing ever. For sure.

Just get through this now. It will go faster than you think if you keep planning your future.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: December 13, 2016 10:45PM

Done & Done said: "You don't owe anyone, even your parents, your deepest thoughts. Keep them to yourself. Just because they are your parents doesn't mean they have a right to know all of your feelings and opinions. Silence is a great tool. Use it."

This is great advice, Landon! Right now your parents have all the power, but that will change. Sooner than you realize you'll be 18 and your rights will start to accumulate.

Try to maintain your sanity by setting aside time for yourself. Keep reading and planning.

I had some serious (non-Mormon) problems with my home life and was able to move out when I turned 18--financially it was tough for a while but emotionally it was terrific. You'll get there! And huge congratulations for figuring things out as much as you have by your age--that's really impressive, you should be proud of your integrity to yourself.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 13, 2016 09:53PM

Respect your parents and their home, because it's your home too, and they are still your parents.

You're very young, and have your whole life ahead of you.

You don't need to figure it all out at once. For many of us it took years longer than it has you to learn that you don't believe in Mormonism.

Now is the time to be exploring what you want to discover and learn. Stay in school. Study. Grow. Develop your passion for life.

If your security depends on the boundaries your parents are setting, go with the flow for now, until you are able to be on your own. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Thank your parents for raising you to be intelligent, independent, and able to think for yourself. That should make them both very proud of you. At 16, you still need the security they provide.

It's hard being a teenager. It's also hard being parents of one. It's kind of a two-way street for both sides. Try to work on building bridges if you can, instead of a wall, so you can keep the lines of communication open. You want to be independent, but still depend on their love and support.

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: December 13, 2016 10:29PM

Landon I am envious of your independence at such a young age. Especially after it took me 50 years to discover what you have in few short ones. Now some sage observations:
1. You have to eat and stay warm. I faked it thru a bishopric and you can too for a few years. Don't draw attention to yourself in or out of your house by asking questions. Just keep researching.
2. The first crunch time will be deciding potentially where you will go to school. BYU may be on your parents list.
3. The second crunch time will be mission time, especially if you have had older siblings go. You have to have a plan...
4. As far as saving for a "mission" do so. But be absolutely certain that you are the only name on that account and I am very serious about this.
5. Accept callings, date members and non-members. If your parents ask why tell them to " gain perspective " for your mission.
6. Academically achieve to allow other options besides BYU
7. Keep us posted...as crunch points approach we have really good further insights

Gatorman
8-4
7-3

Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 06:31AM

I'd say NOT to accept 'callings' and don't volunteer for anything.
Just go through the motions as a nondescript 'member' - don't stand out and don't make waves.
Concentrate on your schoolwork, and use that as an excuse why you can't do extra work for the cult.
Save money in *your own* bank account for your future.
At 18, ESCAPE, and live your own life.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 13, 2016 10:34PM

Go through the motions and play along until you're out of the house and more on your own. You need a place to sleep and food to eat for a few more years. After that you can tell them or not. It'll be up to you.

Don't go on a mission and don't agree to go to BYU. Those are bad experiences for non-believers.

Good luck to you.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: December 13, 2016 10:36PM

Although at times you may feel like you are not being true to yourself it's best when you are 16 to lay low, go along with your parents as much as you can and make a plan for being able to go to college or some form of job training that does not involve the BYU system. Choose a program that lets you move away from home that your parents will support. The difficulty is finding a way not to get sent on a mission when you turn 18. Some kids join the military and that is a good solution for some, but if you are a free thinker and a non conformer who likes to study out solutions on your own, military life may not be the likely the path for you.

Do you have any relatives who are not TBM, a grandfather, uncle or aunt etc? Try to find someone you can ask for help and support if your parents get too controlling and you need some support. If you live in Utah look for a teacher, coach, counselor or other adult who will help support you moving away from the church without causing nuclear war with your parents.

Find friends, sports, interests and hobbies that don't involve the church and where you can meet non mormon and non believing mormon friends, they can be your best source of support in high school and a place of refuge if you parents get too controlling.

Date: December 13, 2016 10:49PM

THANK YOU EVERYONE!! Love the support and the advice. Part of me feels like I NEED to tell them. I'm in seminary that runs during school (which will waste my time and credits) and some of my friends have had success with telling their parents and no longer are required to waste their time and money to the cult. The other part of me is screaming "stay quiet it's to dangerous." Many of you just say to be quiet so I'm leaning there. But if I took the chance it may turn out VERY well for me. Maybe a fair game of eenie meenie minie more might settle things...jk.

Landon

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: December 15, 2016 12:34AM

To add to the advice:
DO NOT talk to your bishop or any of your leaders about this. They may go straight to your parents and tell all. That was my experience as a teenager. It made my life a living hell.

Stay out of trouble, and never, ever confess anything to a bishop or stake president. If you need to lie your way through interviews, do it. The questions they ask are none of their business any way. Tell them what they want to hear, then go your merry way.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 13, 2016 10:52PM

Your parents can't throw you out of the house. Well, technically, they can, but then you can go to Child Protective Services and haul their asses into court. That would be interesting to the ward gossip mill.

They are legally obligated to provide you the necessities of life until age 18. They can make life pretty unpleasant, but they really can't throw you out without significant blowback if you make an issue of it.

And of course once you hit 18, you no longer have a legal claim to support. But for the time being, throwing you out is not really an option.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: December 13, 2016 11:09PM

"my mom has hinted about taking away my clothes, phone, car, and kicking me out of the house if I will not try to have the church in my life."

You might remind your mom that free agency is the core principle of the gospel. Keeping you in church by using threats, is not consistent with such. In fact, as you've likely learned, Satan himself wanted to force us to stay in church.

As suggested, lay low, but when the time comes to discuss things, don't bother challenging their beliefs - just share the beliefs that support your free agency and happiness.

Nothing wrong with the terrestrial or telestial kingdom. No reason they can't come visit you there when they want.

Hopefully they would prefer that you be happy.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: December 13, 2016 11:25PM

I figured out at an early age , that Mormon life was not for me.I was raised in a small ,, Mormon only , farm town. I "went along to get along". When I graduated HS, I left and with my small savings and made it. The only time I went back was to visit my parents. Loved them very much. Best of luck,, keep us posted.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 13, 2016 11:28PM

>>my mom has hinted about taking away my clothes, phone, car, and kicking me out of the house if I will not try to have the church in my life.

We've heard of numerous cases where this has happened. Mormon parents can make life very difficult for nonconforming kids. It is for this reason why I would strongly recommend not making waves for now. Do what is expected of you. You know the answers and responses they want to hear. Give them what they want.

Get a part time job and start accumulating savings. You will need some money in the bank for when you graduate. Put everything you've got into getting good grades. That will expand your options after high school.

Keep reading and posting. We are here for you.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 13, 2016 11:46PM

It's rather unfortunate and ridiculous that you should be in the position of parenting your parents at such an early age. But hey, nowhere else but Mormonism.

Just coddle them and try to appreciate the pernicious effects that the cult has on normal human development. You don't have to be right. You just have to stay sane in their emotional equivalent of a five year old's tea party.

Posted by: logged out tonight ( )
Date: December 13, 2016 11:53PM

I'm with the others who say you have to play along for now. Your parents have the power now; you're not of legal age and you're living at home. They can't toss you out without a trip to jail (child endangerment), but they can take away your stuff. Your mom's threat to take your clothes away is kind of weird, though.

Remember that you're playing the long game. I assume that if your parents can supply you with a car, you're reasonably well off. Try to suck as much money from them as you can ($10 here, $20 there) and set as much of it aside as possible, in order to build an emergency financial cushion. Do not spend your own money unless you absolutely must. They're playing games with you, and you can do the same; but be smart about it. (Oh yeah, and kick ass in school. That's your ticket to a cult-free future. Can't emphasize that enough.)

When it comes time for the BYU/mission gut checks, you might consider relying on the old Holy Spirit dodge. "I've been fasting and praying like you said, and I still haven't received a spiritual witness that I should (go on a mission) (attend BYU). I just get this stupor of thought instead." Then your eyes start to well up with tears, just like Henry Eyring. It's all so, so sad!

As for coming out with your beliefs, it depends on your parents. Have they ever mentioned any doubts in an unguarded moment, or talked about church issues when they thought you weren't listening? Have they expressed dissatisfaction with, say, polygamy, or the recent policy (oops I mean revelation) about the children of gay parents? Those are the types of things that might clue you in as to how understanding they might be. But if they sigh and coo over the Proclamation on the Family, and blather about how wonderful and spiritual David Bednar is, then it's probably wise to clam up and wait it out.

Do you have siblings? Are you the oldest, youngest, in the middle? Brothers or sisters? The church screws them both over, but in different ways. How TBM are they? Are they just pretending, like you? Any older ones who are more or less already out? All these factors are important in how much you can confide, and with whom.

Posted by: vapeyolo420 ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 01:09AM

Hey man, your story deeply resonates with me. I feel you.

I'm a 22yo male who moved out of my TBM parent's house about a year ago. I would say that age 14 is the last year I tried taking the church seriously, by age 15 I didn't believe anymore. During my teens, I went from TBM, Christian, agnostic, to atheist.

Before I give you my tips, I will share my story.

I remember being 17, around that time (or earlier, idr), President Monson had the "grand revelation" of lowering the missionary age to 18. There was some pressure for me to serve a mission, but I told my parents "No, I wanna do some school first, I'll go when I'm 19." Which was a BS thing to say because I didn't even believe in god at this point. It was now Christmas season, and one month later I would turn 19. I was powerless to say no to a mission, and my parents basically forced me to submit my application.

Somehow I managed to not actually do that, but I knew that I needed to not only say "I don't wanna go", but that I didn't believe in the church anymore. I drove myself to insanity, and fantasized deeply about ending my own life. I remember looking up suicide methods online, and which would be the most effective/least painless. I was in community college at this time, and I failed all of my classes that quarter. I couldn't really do anything knowing that my own death was imminent.

One day I went to the mall with my mom, she noticed that I felt out of it the entire time. I sat down at a bench somewhere, and I saw something that has since been burned into my memory: a young mom watching her tiny son run around her, just giggling and having fun. The mom looked so happy, encouraging him to do his thing and be happy in that sorta high-pitched mom voice. I saw a child, who in that moment, was living his life and doing what made him happy, without hurting anyone. And his mom encouraged him to do so. It was a touching, heart-warming sight.

And here I am, with my parents and older church members breathing down my neck to serve a mission, as well as stay in the church for life, essentially. My mom found me sitting on the bench, I broke down and had an intense panic attack. I told her right there that I don't believe in the church. She became sad, and on the way home was saying how worried she was for me and how could we explain this to my father.

When I calmed down at home, I explained to my mom the facts I learned about the church (the history, BoM issues, basically how the whole thing is a lie), the beliefs that I didn't agree with, and my newfound knowledge of things like evolution, and how we shouldn't use anything but science to learn about how the world works. She became upset with me and thought I was simply wrong. A few days later she told my dad and now they were both very upset. They stopped pressuring me about the whole mission thing, but now they just think I haven't found my true testimony. To this day, they still *can't believe* that I'm not mormon.

That was 3 years ago, but now I've moved to away from the rural town I grew up in and into a big city. My life has improved a lot, although my parents still ask if I go to church, and I don't. So now I'm just worried that they'll stop supporting me through college as long as I'm not going to church. Even then, I'm now my own person, and for the most part I've finally obtained freedom from them.

My advice to you is, start building your support network of friends who are not mormon. Make it a point to make strong friendships with people who aren't mormon. Use the free agency thing to your advantage when you come out. I wish there was an easier way to avoid the mission than what I went through, depending on your parents, it may be better to just say that you don't want to go on a mission. I personally chose to flat out say I didn't believe, it's more honest but more painful. When your parents give you hell, just fall back on your support network. Move in with a friend if you have to. I was able to move to the city because I had friends there already, unless you can make good friends FAST I wouldn't advise moving to a totally new area unless you know someone there already.

And as far as general teen advice goes (from a recent former teen, me), do your best in high school, your success there will open doors for you in university. If you mess up, that's okay, you can try again in community college, it will be a little harder but it can be done. IF college is your goal, I would aim to get your bachelor's by the time you're 25. Take a gap year for sure, or two. Seek therapy if you feel depressed or feel like giving up on life. Have fun, plan grand, fun events and experiences with your friends. You may have to put off dating until you're out to your parents, and if you're gay, certainly wait until you've completely moved out.

Right now you know that the church is not the world, but trust me in a few years time you will really SEE that the world is so amazingly huge, and that mormonism and your parent's influence over your life are microscopic, tiny things that have no power. I'm rooting for you man. I can't imagine how many other young men are going through the same thing we are. Best of luck!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 05:32AM

Good solid advice!

I'll add one thing, having had a ton of roommates in my younger days. While it is much nicer to live with people you know, you can find roommates or a room to let in any college town or city. Look under "Roommates Wanted" in the local newspaper, college bulletin boards, or Craigslist. You go interview with them to see if you like the house or apartment and if you find them to be compatible.

In general, it is easier to find compatible roommates in a college town. There are always people your age looking for a living situation or roommate.

It does mean that you have to have cash on hand, which is why we advise that young people build their savings. My suggestion is to build up to $2,000. You need money for your share of first (and sometimes last) month's rent, a damage deposit equal to a share of one month's rent, and possibly deposits for a share of the utilities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2016 05:34AM by summer.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 03:16AM

2) my mom has hinted about taking away my clothes, phone, car, and kicking me out of the house if I will not try to have the church in my life.

That's the answer to the question of how your mother would react. There's an old saying by Maya Angelou: "When someone tells you who they are, believe them the first time." The only wiggle room in there is that maybe if you were honest with her, but agree to 'have the church in your life' by attending, she might not follow through on the threats. If you do disclose your true feelings, I would test the water on small issues and see how it goes before you say more.

I totally agree with those who said that nobody has the right to know your innermost thoughts and beliefs. And I'll add that when you are relatively sure that someone will use that information to punish or manipulate you, you SHOULD withhold it to protect yourself.

I've seen too many stories of kids being treated poorly or punished once they confess they don't believe. One of my daughter's friends was immediately kicked out of the house when she told her mother she didn't believe in God. I was called to come pick her up, but by the time I got there, she had lied and managed to convince her mother that she wasn't serious. It's much easier to fly under the radar than to deal with extra control, scrutiny, and even hostility.

Posted by: just sayin ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 09:31AM

Another tidbit: TBMs read this board. No need for paranoia, but if your user name is your name or a family name, change the username. There may be a million "Landons," but obscure your identity here as much as possible. It may not seem a big deal now, but if your parents become suspicious, there's no reason to make the searching easy.

imaworkinonit is absolutely correct in believing that if you are truthful with your parents, you will be punished. It's just another way in which Mormonism fosters unhealthy family relationships.

Think of the next two years as a "mission" for your freedom, and freedom to choose. If you are 16, and think and write as clearly as you do, your life can go any direction of your design. As the time passes over the short period until you are 18, it will be increasingly harder to hold your tongue.

Come here to vent, but stay "on mission" at home. You can even say things (at home) in a duplicitous manner, like, "I'm thinking about/saving for my mission." To you, it means your "mission" of exercising your free will as an adult.

TBM friends - there are many, many sad stories of betrayal to a parent, a bishop, or even casual gossip (un)intentionally outing a non-believer. A secret is a secret only until you share it with one person. That person may even feel he/she is "helping" you to regain your testimony. It is also handing your power to another. Please think very carefully before sharing it IRL.

Deceit will likely be difficult for you; it is for all people who wish to live an authentic life. I learned that the hard and painful way. Learning to say less than the whole truth, keeping my thoughts to myself, and letting people make assumptions about me with which I am not comfortable were hard-learned skills for me. I have since learned that their assumptions are their choices, their "free will." If your parents threaten your privileges as a tool to inhibit your religious freedom, they have chosen poorly a path that limits your options to be truthful. Since you must remain on "their path," you must attain the skills to survive that journey. We can help.

In short, I believe that keeping your mouth shut will be the most difficult part of the next two years, but your posts tell me that you have the intelligence, strength and fortitude to attain your goals, choose for yourself, and live a wonderfully authentic life.

Thank you for posting, welcome to the board, and we are all rooting for you!

Posted by: JVN087 ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 09:33AM

I would make sure that your browser history is deleted... use incognito mode to come here or any other site that would be considered anti-mormon or unacceptable to your parents. Assume they have some sort of tracking software, like if you work for a company

Also make sure your parents do not have access to your money. If you have a bank account that has their name on it dont use that for your money. Make sure that if you have a bank account opt to have electronic statements only. My friend in college worked for 2 or 3 summers in high school, she saved a couple thousand dollars and her parents stole the money for bills, they were not good with money and she was.

Start looking into colleges now, find something far away from your parents. If you stay in state find the state school at the other end of the state, so you HAVE to live there and not at home. Look out of state too, but instate tuition is cheaper. If you move to another state for school consider a year off to get instate tuition. Also another state may have reciprocal agreements with nearby states for instate tuition. Talk to a guidance counselor at school about scholarships available and do your own research

Military can be an option if you dont have money. But you have to be prepared for it. Good graded in school give you more options. You can have military pay for your school HOWEVER you very well could end up in a war zone!

Also be careful who you talk to about your non-belief. Even your friends could get worried about your eternal soul and tell parents. Also consider eavesdroppers

Stay under the radar for now. Its much easier to tell parents stuff when you are self sufficient. At that point all they can do is worry about you.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 10:14AM

This is all good advice, Landon. I'm just writing to say what a fine first name you have, although I did a double take when I saw it. It just happens to be my IRL surname ;-)

Best wishes

Tom in Paris

Posted by: anon exmo ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 11:18AM

I just want to add this, though it may be obvious from all the other things that have been said: Don't confess anything to your bishop. In all interviews your answers should just be yes or no. If he asks if you believe something, the answer is yes. If he asks about sins, the answer is no. Don't ever elaborate or express any doubt or hesitation. He won't keep your privacy, he may go straight to your parents. Nothing good can come from expressing doubts or confessing sins to a bishop.

(Also, what the bishops thinks are sins are not really sins anyway)

Date: December 14, 2016 11:33AM

Whatever you say CAN and WILL be used against you.....

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 11:48AM

I can't speak from experience because basically, my parents were all right with freedom of thought. I can't imagine what it must be like to be 16 and worried about getting thrown out of the house because your rational thinking and examination of the issues doesn't conform with your parents' cult.

Thank being said, one of the saddest parts of the cult is how the institution turns ordinary, honest people into liars and connivers. The cult does it by threats. It persuades people that naked self-interest is godly. Then, whatever lies and deceit you need to employ for your self-interest are justified. It's sick. And it's a horrible way for a free people to live. But living this way is a choice. It's the choice of coward.

The great thing about youth is courage. Old people, like myself, get self-protective and fearful. Youth is the power to go forward with hope and pride. Honesty starts now. Integrity starts now. It has to. Or else it isn't honest nor integral.

A friend of mine's favorite saying is: Be bold, and powerful forces will come to your aid. She lives like that, and she's very successful. (As pointed out above, being cared for by your parents until age 18 is a legal responsibility your parents have no choice over--religion be damned. The Division of Child and Family Services is a very powerful force. If you need help, one call, and they'll help. Your parents will learn the limits of their power, and the cult will not protect them because the cult protects its image at all costs. Your parents' loyalty means nothing to the church.)

Do what you think best.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 01:59PM

from what I have seen coming out to TBM parents as non-believing most often leads to very bad situations for the kid.

I believe that being honest with yourself and others is very important, but it sounds like the OP lives in Utah or at least Mordor. Unfortunately the police, child protective services, courts etc are run by TBMS and the legal outcome you would expect will not happen because of the interference of TBMs in the legal processes.

So my advice would be that which Jesus gave ... be wise as serpents but harmless as doves ... take your time, make a plan, and when you act, you will be in control of the situation not your parents and not some jerk TBM in your local govt.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 02:01PM

Not sure how that happened???

Date: December 14, 2016 02:30PM

You are blessed to have understanding parents...

Yes there is legal obligation for the parents to care for kids, however there is a time and a place to be bold. Its easier to be bold when you have some power.

This kid goes to Child Protective Services( or what ever its called in his state)then he is forced to live a spartan life with just the basics... or placate for a couple years until he is on his own

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 11:50AM

You could run away and join the circus. ;-)

(I doubt it would be any worse than going on a mission ...)

Posted by: Journey ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 01:17PM

Everyone has given some great advice. I want to add that if you end up in a meeting with a bishop, stake prez, etc. Don't tell them about your belief, or lack thereof. Give them standard, middle of the road answers. Don't confess anything.

Anything you say behind closed doors with anyone at church may be discussed in their committee meetings!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 01:20PM

^^^^ This!

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 01:58PM

There is a deep need in most of us to tell the truth weve found...many of us wish to be samuel on the wall...dont do it...or if you do be ready for the hurt if your parents are serious...i was kicked out several times but managed to stay in there...life seems real long at 16 ...but it really isnt..two years comes and goes...youve already had some great advice...mine would be to go with the flow...keep as much as you can to yourself...most morms dont want the truth..theyre happy with a nose full of sand...its not your job to clear the sand...your job is you and whats best for you...were pullin for ya...most of us have been there..were all in this thing together...its worth it...and it does get better

Date: December 14, 2016 09:15PM

Thanks again for all the great advice! Some people have asked a little more about my circumstances.

I'm the oldest amongst my 4 other siblings. I also live in New Mexico (not a HUGE Mormon community but big enough). I wouldn't consider my parents to be mega Mormons he listens to like Eminem and watches Rachel movies and stuff but he cries everything he hears Jesus or Joseph Smith and my mom had a "doubting period" when she was a
tween but that just "strengthened her testimony" she likes to say.

I've brought up some issues about the Book of Mormon like the horses,curreloms, cummoms, and elephants but they just said "that just strengthens my testimony even more because JS said that 'any mistake was his own and that this is the most correct book.'" Seriously? My parents also brought up why it was important that the new policy (about baptisms for a child with homosexual parents) was created by saying stupid shit like "the child will think that homosexuality is normal and okay" and other bigotry. And I expressed that I thought it was completely fine for that child to be baptised because the parents were "sinning" not the child. And they were shocked. My parents were also aware of tithing discretion and spending but didn't really care.

I just barely got a part time job and am getting paid fairly well. I have about $1000 saved. I'm also looking into colleges in close by but am planning to move more east for myou bachelor's or masters in engineering.

So ya. If any of that helps you to elaborate more, please do. Thanks again for the support!

Landon

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: December 15, 2016 10:33AM

I'm sure you appreciate the advise you're getting but you're either not listening or your parents aren't as worrisome as you first represented. It doesn't sound like you'll be " kicked out on the street " for your lack of testimony if you've already had discussions concerning the problems in the Book of Mormon and with paying tithing. If however you were correct in your earlier assessment of their reactions to your unbelief, you are giving far too much IRL information if you want your position to be your secret. Time to decide if you want to control the information about your unbelief or have an open dialogue with your parents. I'm sure this forum is monitored and it won't take long for someone to drop a dime on everything you've revealed so far.

Good luck young man.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.