Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: scootergirl57 ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 07:58PM

58 and learning to curse conversationally. Lol

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 08:02PM

Good for you!

There's a reason curse words are so "powerful" -- and are entirely appropriate in certain circumstances. :)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 08:52PM

I love to curse....and then taught my wife the finer points.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: December 15, 2016 10:20AM

One of my family's favorite family stories is the time my brother, then a teenager, was teaching our mom how to swear and flip people off.

"Come on, Mom. Drop it! Drop the F-bomb!"

The rest of the family, who were all gathered in the kitchen watching this and thinking our little brother was about to die a horrible death, were shocked when Mom did drop the F-bomb.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 08:59PM

A slightly amusing anecdote about my nephew (now over 40). When he was about 6/7 and some talk was going on about God punishing a civilisation for alleged wickedness he chimed in (with grave seriousness):

"I bet they were so wicked they went round saying *knickers* to each other!"

:)

Date: December 14, 2016 09:20PM

"Well bugger me sideways with a fish-fork!"

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 09:24PM

I live in a suburb that's pretty low crime and sedate. One day a carload of teenagers was going down the street, and one of the boys rolled down his window and shouted at pedestrians, "boner!"

Date: December 15, 2016 06:53AM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I live in a suburb that's pretty low crime and
> sedate. One day a carload of teenagers was going
> down the street, and one of the boys rolled down
> his window and shouted at pedestrians, "boner!"

You know, that reminds me of a joke by English comedian Ronnie Corbett,

He said that his school was so bully/crime-free that "you could have a reign of terror with a baloon on a stick" :-)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 15, 2016 09:13AM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I live in a suburb that's pretty low crime and
> sedate. One day a carload of teenagers was going
> down the street, and one of the boys rolled down
> his window and shouted at pedestrians, "boner!"

Did he think you were a different RfM forum member?
One from BYU???

:)

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 09:10PM

I understand the need on occasion for some cursing. However, many overuse it and it loses effect.

My wife loves the word, shit. Personally, I don't like it that much, perhaps from my days in public health when I spent all day teaching of disease transmitted through feces.

Then the guys at work seemed to have a contest to see who could say a sentence with the most F words. Seems to limit their vocabulary.

"That effer effed with me so I effing effed that effer up!"

I've set limits on the use of the word to instill a bit more professionalism, and they've finally learned out to talk normally.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: December 17, 2016 01:36PM

What annoys me is the sort if fake cursing you hear in the suburbs or among religious folk:

"Flip", "f-bomb", "effing" etc. its all so irritating to me. People should either cuss or not.

Courage is a virtue regardless of gender. Don't cower at the feet of words/ink/pixels.

Posted by: Zoe ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 09:38PM

After my civil divorce and ex-communication. church court with over 15 men, I walked out calling them all holy d*cks. Then the ex-bishop hasband was a cry baby and did not see the kids. I was abandoned with with no support from my family. I went around say, "F*ck You" a lot. Then my kids were saying it too. It was a very upset house. Yes, saying the same curse words over and over again gets boring so I made up new ones. Zoe

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 10:44PM

Where I live, few people speak English.

It's extremely satisfying to scream curses at somebody in English and have them back away, not because they know what I'm saying but because they think I'm crazy.

A few weeks ago a cab driver tried to cheat my wife. This, I don't like. I unleashed a torrent of horrific threats, curses, and profanities directed toward the cabbie and several members of his family, culminating in a promise to rip his #@(#^4Q $*^%* off and feed them to our dog. He hopped back in his cab and took off.

My wife had no idea what I said, either (she speaks only Spanish), but she gave me a big kiss.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 10:47PM

And more stories like this one would be welcome.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: December 17, 2016 01:38PM

I love this!

Sort of an inverse Ricky Ricardo.

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 11:00PM

If you really want to vex someone give them the evil eye, followed up with an incantation spell. ;)

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 11:08PM

in b 4 ~

fuck you OPie ~

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 11:12PM

Our daughter was about four or five...she was walking around one day saying dammit every way...just to herself...mums says what does that mean...without even thinking she says...daddy cant fix it...you fix mechanical crap long enough...youll find swearing nit only effective but therapeutic...im sure i read somewhere folks that swear live longer cuz they dont bottle shit up...analretentive as it were...but its probly all $&@&&$&@@&&@@&& anyway...ive never been one who wouldnt say shit if my mouth was full of it...its a fine art...and the youngsters are ruining it

Date: December 15, 2016 07:03AM

Aside: it strikes me that what was considered shockingly profanel, vulgarly taboo at one time is now considered mundane.

An example: George Formby made a comedy film in the 1930s. It raised the hackles of the censors because it was set in a (whisper it softly* underwear factory.

British radio comedian Ted Ray once adlibed a response to actress Googie Withers's line "I have only very flimsy defences - and I can't even keep those up" with the line "you should have used stronger elastic". He was roundly carpeted by the BBC for "dirt".

In the late 1960s a documentary was made about the Royal Family (a rare occurrence back then). Prince Charles, commenting on pulling a parachute release, said 'like a loo chain'. That caused mild scandal, that he had actually mentioned lavatories on film!

Monty Python caused uproar by ending their famous Spanish Inquisition sketch with "Nobody expects the - oh bugger!"

How times do change

Posted by: longtimer ( )
Date: December 15, 2016 09:01AM

It took many years to become comfortable when cussing. Not having had curse words available, I would use English, and am often accused of "using fifty-dollar words."

Though I still don't understand how cussing can be more socially acceptable than "$50 words," I can now cuss, and usually understand what others are trying to say. I try to avoid $50 words, but they are normal to me, and still slip out.

So at work one day, female coworkers A and C were having what seemed a pleasant conversation to which I was not paying attention, when C turned to leave the room, saying, "Fuck you, A." It didn't seem hostile, but was loud enough that it caught my attention.

Before she got out of the door, I asked, "Did you just say "fuck you" to A?"

C said, "Yeah...so?"

I said, "It just puzzled me."

Quick-witted A, knowing me fairly well, said, "She only says it as a greeting to people she likes." We all had a chuckle.

Now leaving again, C said, "Bye [my name], fuck you, A." Big laughs.

Now, whenever C and I pass each other, she says, "Hi [my name]" to which I respond, "Fuck you, C."

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: December 15, 2016 10:11AM

I've always loved a foul mouth.

I distinctly remember an event when I was 8. I had just barely been baptized a few days earlier when I was on the playground I fell whilst whipping around on a bar and said "fuck".

Instantly I knew I was doomed, I had reached the age of accountability and now I had SINNED!!!!!

Quite literally, "aw fuck it" deep in my mind. The words were not in my head, but the feeling was.

I've had an extremely salty tongue ever since. I used light words on mission until I got a comp who threw down the F bomb within 3 minutes of meeting me at the train station. It was game on.

I like to mix word snob words into the foul mix just to prove that you CAN have a good vocabulary and use foul language. Just the other day I said of a co-worker "Ugh, I can't stand that pedantic fucktard."

I'm not a wordsmith, just a cunning linguist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2016 10:13AM by Levi.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: December 15, 2016 10:33AM

Before I went to Basic Training, I hardly ever swore. I was just never comfortable with it and was always a little afraid that some wrinkled old nun would appear out of thin air to rap me on the knuckles. Catholic guilt is almost as insidious as Mormon guilt.

However, I quickly learned two important lessons in Basic Training:
1 - My fellow recruits didn't seem to take anything I said seriously, or to even hear me, unless I peppered my statements with a heavy dose of curse words.
2 - The use of refined language made me the target of both verbal and physical abuse until I retaliated with my own threats to eff them up. It also helped when my actions backed up the words.

Life got much easier in Basic once I learned those lessons, but I never did lose the "Professor" moniker among my fellow recruits.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 15, 2016 11:42PM

Speaking of basic, getting off the cattle truck, on day 1, it sounded like the DI-DS said, "when your right foot hits the ground, I want you to say 'OWw, FUCK'", so, for the next few hours, running everywhere under a load, I yelled "OWw, FUCK".

It wasn't until later that day that I learned the phrase was actually 'Alpha'. Disappointment or Relief? Mixture I guess.

When morons say "fetch", for example, yet mean 'fetch', they are still cursing. Dummies

Posted by: scootergirl57 ( )
Date: December 15, 2016 11:03AM

When my daughter was 3 she says I know some curse words. I doubted she new the difference in words. My TBM DH cursed alot. So I asked, what words? She let them fly! I said daddy says those words but we are ladies and dont use those words. Never heard them again till she was a teen. I didnt try to stiffle her then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2016 11:03AM by scootergirl57.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: December 15, 2016 02:59PM

I didn't say the word f*ck for 43 years. I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Posted by: applesauce ( )
Date: December 16, 2016 03:40PM

Ah the F word. A noun, verb, adjective, adverb, conjunction, and everything in between, including punctuation.

Learning to use the F word helped me learn to get along with people. Instead of getting mad (and therefore bursting into tears) I think to myself, F YOU. Meanwhile, outwardly I nod my head and say ok. It really helped me decide what really mattered. I don''t dwell on stuff anymore, nor obsess. I say F that!

There really is no other word that helps.

applesauce

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: December 17, 2016 03:31AM

Went forty years of vowed non fuck speech...finally said fuck it...its just a sound...only last year did someone mention the origin....fornication under command of the king ...as is shown in brave heart...whod a guessed...rob roy and brave heart made me say fuck you to my now not proud english roots...truly inglorious bastards...long shanks needed to die sooner and in more pain

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 17, 2016 06:51AM

The fewer things I can get upset about, the easier it is to navigate life. I put foul language in the I Don't Care pile.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 17, 2016 03:05PM

My husband says I swear worse than any cop he's ever known.

:D

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 18, 2016 01:52AM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 18, 2016 04:00AM

My mission was sort of a disaster. People have spoken about it on this forum before. We were all under so much pressure that we questioned things, and did things, that other missionaries would not.

One of the things that really bother a number of us was the hypocrisy in missionary culture: the use of words like "fetch" and "flip" and "shoot" and "dang" and "heck" and all the rest. We thought that speaking this way was both cursing and cowardly. It was a dishonest way to cuss.

So in my branch and a few others, we decided to at least be honest. We cursed. We cursed up a storm. And with every "fuck" or "shit" we felt honest. The mission leadership couldn't take that feeling from us.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.