Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 09:30PM

In ancient times, the office of a 70 was nestled between Elder and High Priest. I don't think anyone really wanted to be a 70.

Anyway....today I was reminiscing with a friend about his father who tried to get me ordained a 70 and how hard I fought it.

So.....how many of you were 70s?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 09:44PM

My father was a hapless 70 for a few years. I think maybe his file had something negative in it. He diverted money away from the family to improve his situation at church.

Rank-obsessed members are Mormonism's anti-missionaries. They clear the pews better than anyone else.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 10:20PM

I was.

We were a relatively young group stakewide, most of us in our 30's. We were still having fun with it when they shut down the local 70 groups in the 1980's.

When they made us all high priests we came up with this elaborate conspiracy plan to reconvene as a shadow government within the stake.

Of course I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of or my participation in such a group.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2016 10:26PM by rutabaga.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 10:28PM

Posted by: Travis Chlarson ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 10:43PM

I was. It would have been around 1980 or so.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 11:04PM

For all, you ex seventies...what qualities would you say were the most beneficial to being a seventy...church broke?...never questioning?...always wondered

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 11:58PM

I wasn't even a 60!.....okay..sorry...my bad....couldn't help myself....

RB

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 15, 2016 09:47AM

I never rose to that level of penishood.
I left after exactly 2 years and 5 months of being an Elder, 1 week shy of 2 years of which were spent on a mission.

My still-TBM older brother, though, was made a 70 at age 24. Elder and 70 before 25...mormonism makes no sense whatsoever :)

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: December 15, 2016 09:56AM

My dad was called as a 70, in the 70's. He was supposed to help with stake missionary work, something he was loathe to do. I could never understand why the leadership did that to him. It was an open secret in our little town that he went to the cafe every morning and had his coffee.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 15, 2016 11:29AM

I went to maybe 3 elders quorum meetings before I said fuck it and quit attending church altogether. Always thought "Seventy" was a stupid name for anything other than the actual number. My dad skipped the 70 deal and went directly from EQP to HP/HC.

RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2016 11:30AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.