Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: December 20, 2016 02:37PM

Do you suppose church is making changes in the way it operates financially, laying the groundwork for being able to survive having to disclose its financials at some future time? Like, say, ten years from now. (And to survive leaks in the meantime.) Kind of like a politician who says, I want to run for office down the line, so I'll start being really scrupulous with my taxes and investments so I'll look good to voters when I have to disclose.

It seems like the church would do well to at least move away from the most egregious things. There has to be plenty of disreputable practice going on because there is so much money involved (billions) and no transparency. It is a total Petri dish for corruption and malfeasance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: December 20, 2016 02:39PM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 20, 2016 09:02PM

Hahaha. Good one.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: December 20, 2016 03:30PM

I'm sure the shredders are going non stop in the COB

Posted by: Pariah ( )
Date: December 21, 2016 01:51AM

Retired accountants, hired as senior missionaries, are busy cooking the books in the basement.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 20, 2016 10:08PM

May I present to you John R. Winder.

Mr. Winder was called to be first councillor in the presidency of Joseph F. Smith in 1901. Oddly there is no record of him being ordained an apostle. He was never a member of the 12.

So why is he relevant?

When the feds were after church assets, Mr. Winder took possession of most of them to keep them off the church books and protect them from seizer.

This not the only example. Who knows what assets are where and under what name? Forced disclosure? The lawyers and accountants will make it all look so proper. The truth....will never be known.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: December 20, 2016 11:08PM

More likely when Hell freezes over or when pigs begin to fly....

Posted by: thinking ( )
Date: December 21, 2016 01:56AM

Doubtful. However, if they did would it really make a difference to a TBM? It could make a difference for some, those that are already on the fence or are awake, but for the majority of the people I don't think it would make a hill beans.

TBMs are conditioned, plus they are conditioned by a spend happy government, and accept those at the top are entitled to great wealth. Unless, they are paying for something that is completely morally repugnant nothing will change.

Posted by: Fourth_Nephite ( )
Date: December 21, 2016 08:50AM

Maybe we'll find out once and for all how much ownership stake they have of Marriott. I've seen rumors anywhere from zero to all of it.

Posted by: TDWMB ( )
Date: December 21, 2016 11:03PM

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 22, 2016 02:51AM

They are preparing for the end, spending the money faster than they make (grab) it, so they won't have to. "Buried treasure". Pirates, not prophets.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: December 22, 2016 05:31AM

I'm going to be optimistic about this one. I think as time moves on there's a good chance that it will be viewed as something honorable in good for the public to know. There probably are upper managers that are pushing for it. There just needs to be the right dynamical person to push the whole thing out in the open, and change things up, there needs to be another Kimball or Woodruff (it's that big of an issue)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.