Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 22, 2016 01:55AM

Just curious what this scenario in the cult looks like now in 2016. What is required....100% church attendance, have to be a babtised member, etc?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 22, 2016 02:06AM

They tightened things up after the housing crash, so you had to be a tithe payer to get help. I don't know if that policy has changed, but I'd guess not.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 22, 2016 02:09AM

It depends on your "local ecclesiastical authority".
The bishop has discretion as to who to give assistance to, and what to require of the recipient.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 22, 2016 02:16AM

One ... has to Sell their soul to the Morg; No Receipt is offered...

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: December 22, 2016 07:06AM

My personal experience is that Bishops have generally been pretty generous. I happened to grow up in wards that had boundaries that included both sffluent and lower middle-class neighborhoods, though. Usually people in the bishopric and the high priest group and such were the white collar type people who were lawyers or upper ma segment types in business offices, or doctors a lot of the time, and I usually observed The Bishop's being pretty generous. Obviously I don't know what went on behind closed doors, but I know I have personally filled lots of food orders for people and then delivered them. It's about one of the few things I'm willing to do to help out the church and help out my dad, because I see it as pretty much completely divorced from church, and just being my part to do charity. These are people that don't even have a car to go to the warehouse to fill the food order themselves.

I also know that my dad has paid phone bills, utility bills, and in some circumstances even rent for people, and I know that these are people who are on disability and don't work. Some of the people I know well and I'm pretty sure that they're tithing payments are either spotty or non-existent. My dad in general is a generous and kind person though, and has never been one who desired power for power's sake, although he generally does well in situations where he is in charge. I consider him to be a pretty good natural leader, and other people do too.

I think the ward that he is in now is lucky to have him. I've certainly known Bishops and Bishops who were strange, arbitrary, and sometimes mean-spirited men. There are also the dozens of stories I have heard on here about Bishops acting inappropriately, or insisting quid pro quo type Arrangements in order to get basic food assistance or to get help for rent and stuff like that.

I'd say in general the church's policy is to probably try and find solutions that don't involve the church handing out money, and for all I know this has gotten much worse over the past few years, but I know that there are good people out there. I know my dad when he does stuff like this usually gets reimbursed by the church which, officially he is supposed to- I think for tax purposes the church is supposed to document whenever they make a charitable contribution or a donation that help someone else out) but I also know that he has just done stuff for people on good faith, not seeking reimbursement or recognition or anything like that. It's just the kind of man he is. It's also the kind of man my grandfather is, and he is far from Churchy-church-church. He goes to church every Sunday, but I don't really think he's ever had a substantial calling, at least not for decades. I also knew that he went through as several year faith crisis almost a decade ago. The point is that his Goodwill and charity are traits that I don't think he necessarily developed from the church, so it is certainly not something that the morg can take credit for, and yet he has managed to pass on these traits to his children, something I find refreshing.

I know it's not what is normally heard here, but I thought it might be nice to hear a good story about a bishop doing good things for the members of his church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2016 07:20AM by midwestanon.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 22, 2016 07:08AM

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: December 22, 2016 09:56AM

The Book of Mormon, does not indicate any requirements other than one's need. Mosiah 18: 27-29 "... and to him that had not should be given." ... "yea, and to EVERY needy, naked soul."

But the "scripture" seems to imply more of a direct support to each other, rather than paying to a church and the church supporting the poor. More of a United Order type thing which is what I think Joseph Smith had more in mind.

At ANY rate, it seemed to imply that ALL THE NEEDY should be taken care of. Does not mention any other requirements.

Interestingly, it even says "according to the needs *AND WANTS*." Now that's pretty generous.

Posted by: lolly 18 ( )
Date: December 22, 2016 06:41PM

Generally, 1) have asked and been turned down by extended family; 2) to live, not to support a lifestyle (meaning your cellphones and wifi and other discretionary things have to go), 3)prefer food over payments and to make utility/medical payments directly so you can pay your own rent (almost never mortgage) 4) you must work to offset what you get to the extent you can; 5) short term; 6) often required to be a full tithepayer if you are a member.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: December 22, 2016 06:54PM

My ex's bishop helped her out with rent / food several times. Requirement: full tithe payer and fulfilling her calling (s).

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 22, 2016 07:33PM

Appreciate your replies.

This topic came up for me as I was thinking of a time in the past, lots of years ago now, when we were struggling in the financial area. My husband's job was not bringing in much and we had children to feed. We were temple married, my husband had served the church a lot through the years with callings and a mission, and we had chosen to not be active as we had so many questions about the church. My husband and I went once in a blue moon because his work made it necessary.

I know through the grapevine that the cult knew our circumstances. Neither of us asked the cult for help...we didn't want to do that. I just found it interesting that there was no assistance offered or given. I guess we were already considered apostates then even though we had not resigned or been exed.

I resigned after my husband's death. He never did resign as he saw no need to give them the time of day in that way.

Posted by: Exmo Mom ( )
Date: December 22, 2016 10:26PM

They generally don't offer financial help. YOu have to ask for it. But if you're a semi-active member, they are not going to jump up and down to give it to you.

In rare exceptions, a "discerning" Bishop may notice a member needing financial help and offer it - but usually if they offer it to you, then they expect you to a. work in the storehouse as a volunteer (even if it's just one shift) and b. pay tithing. I remember being out of work and indicating I had nothing to pay and right away was encouraged to start working and paying tithing, for any assistance to continue.

Posted by: dodo ( )
Date: December 23, 2016 12:10AM

Way back in the day when I was still considered an active member, if you asked for help you had to clean the church or do yard work around the church. One time the bishop asked me to do a daily lockup around 9:00 every night. I wasn't getting assistance from him so I asked and he told me nobody else would do it and he needed a dependable person to make sure that the church was locked up every night.

I also knew that if a person asked for help, whether food or financially, that the bishop would tell them to ask family first and then come back and ask him. I personally know one man who couldn't bear to ask his family so he didn't get any assistance and I felt sorry for him.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.