Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 23, 2016 04:16PM

I'm in my later 40s. My parents in their 80s and my father's grandfather was this guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_B._Brown

It fascinates me that people have grandparents born in the 19th Century. It is like Brigham Young could be someone living's grandfather?

He is my great, great, great grandfather.

I don't know why this is tripping me out so much but Mormonism is so young! It "started" in 1830. Some people here have grandparents born not many years after that date.

I have hope that Mormonism could go like the Dodo given it has only existed for a few generations for some people.

Anyone have a grandparent born closer to 1830 than 1899?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: December 23, 2016 04:37PM

"I don't know why this is tripping me out so much but Mormonism is so young! It "started" in 1830. Some people here have grandparents born not many years after that date."

My mother's mother was born in 1893. She was baptized in 1916, when she was pregnant with my mother. My mother died in 2010. It always fascinated me that she lived through more than half of the existence of Mormonism. But then again, it kinda freaks me out that I have lived through more than 1/4 of the existence of the USA.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: December 23, 2016 04:55PM

My grandparents were all born in the 19th century (I'm 65).

I remember thinking, when I was a kid, man, they're old farts.

Now, who's the old fart?

They had their charms, especially my mom's mom, whose Christmas cookies would rock your world. However, their culture is entirely alien to me now. An example: one day a male friend of my sister gave her a ride home from high school. The shit hit the fan. Why? Because grandma happened to look out the window and notice that the driver was black. Good riddance to that nonsense.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 23, 2016 05:07PM

Date: December 26, 2016 11:24AM

I had to look up these grandsons and the more public one has a bit out there on the Net. Fascinating.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: December 23, 2016 05:14PM

All four of my grandparents were born in the 19th century.

Not surprising - I am 83 years old.

I knew all of them, although three died in the 1930s. I also knew three of my Great-grandparents who lived until the 1940s.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: December 23, 2016 05:27PM

I always liked Hugh B Brown as a speaker and he seemed less radical than most of the GAs.

I was married in 1973 and I think we received as gifts 2 copies he wrote about Marriage, although I don't see it on the list of his writing.

My former wife has a whole bookshelf of LDS Books that we collected and I know she kept one copy of that book. She asked me when we divorced if I wanted any of them. No, thanks!

Posted by: Ericka ( )
Date: December 23, 2016 05:32PM

My grandfather was born 1898. My grandmother was born in 1904.

My grandfathers family joined the church in Illinois. They stayed when everyone went west. They were members of the Reorganized church that Emma and her boys ran.

My grandfathers family came West by train in the early 1900's. They ended up in North Eastern Oregon. The only church in town was a tiny Mormon branch so they started going to church there and became Mormon.

My grandmothers family came across the plains with the Mormons that went to Utah. Part of that family eventually moved North to Eastern Oregon and Western Idaho.

My grandfather lived until 1998. My grandmother died 1985. Neither one of them talked about their past. They lived the life of ranchers. Always had cows, sheep, a pig, chicken, and lots of horses. Their vacations were always camping somewhere in Idaho. They weren't the kindest people, and I wasn't fond of spending time with them. The branch they went to was interesting to me though. A tiny white church with old wood floors. It looked very much like a church you would see in an old Western movie. It had stained glass windows and a bell in the steeple.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: December 23, 2016 06:31PM

Well, just a little closer to 1830 than to 1899 for one of them. Both of my father's parents were born very close to 1899: 1897 (my grandfather) and 1896 (my grandmother - yes, shock, she was older than he was).

But my mother's mother was born in 1874 and her husband, my maternal grandfather, was born in 1859. He died before I was born, but I did meet the other three.

I also barely remember meeting my father's grandparents, but the memory is probably as much from being told about it as from my own recollection. I remember parts of their house very clearly, however. I don't know why, for the interior, but that house was very striking to me, and I still dream about it occasionally.

The front porch is another story. I remember it because when we drove to the Midwest to visit them, we arrived quite late in the night. Around midnight, I think. The house was dark when we got there. After we pulled up, my grandfather, who was something of a joker, burst out the front door waving a sword in one hand and a kerosene lantern in the other, and shouting that we invaders had best retreat.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 23, 2016 06:35PM

My grandfather was born in the 1880s.

His great grandmother was born in the 1790s. She died when he was a child. So he told me stories about her. She was one of Joseph's wives.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 23, 2016 06:47PM

Grandpa John Henry Bagley was born in the nineteenth century. He was raised polygamous with three mothers and thirty-four siblings. Their poverty was grinding, and it became a point of pride to work children like servants. Of course he taught my father all that Mormon bullshit.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: December 23, 2016 07:06PM

I'm in my 30's and already can remember almost half the governors of the state of Utah. Now that's scary! My great grandfather from Dijon was born in 1863 and had 15 children, his daughter was born 1909, and my father 1949.

But yes my grandparents were old enough to remember the original pioneers and use to tell me stories of when they'd come visiting. Real ornery mean kinda of folks and they loved fried chicken. Children were to be seen and not heard in those days.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: December 23, 2016 07:07PM

All of my g-parents but one were born in the 1800's. My oldest was born in 1888. Coincidentally, he and his 2nd wife converted to Moism in the 1950's. My mother would sn!gger that she saw their secret underpants hanging on the clothesline and how crazy they (both her in-laws and the underpants) were.

My youngest g-mother was born in 1905. I'm not that old, being in my early 50's and I'm not their youngest g-child.

OP: Not everyone is in their teens or 20's.

(Sorry for coded spelling in the above post but the word in question isn't even close to the racial slur that prompted the ban.)

Date: December 23, 2016 09:49PM

CateS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OP: Not everyone is in their teens or 20's.

Huh?

At any rate, great replies everyone. I'm still tripping on how young and dumb Mormonism is in this old world.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: December 23, 2016 08:58PM

My maternal grandmother was born in 1861 and started teaching school at age 16! But she didn't have her first child until 1895.

Posted by: Fourth_Nephite ( )
Date: December 23, 2016 10:09PM

Even Joseph Smith has a great grandson living today. He's President Emeritus of the Community of Christ.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 23, 2016 10:16PM

I never really new any of my grandparents. They were all born in the 1880's or before. My paternal grandfather was a philandering POS and left Canada before I was born. My maternal grandfather died when I was a child. I barely have a memory of him. My maternal grandmother died before I was born and my paternal grandmother moved to Utah when I was a baby. She had a stroke that took her voice so I never heard her speak.
So glad I'm here for my grandkids.

RB

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: December 24, 2016 12:29AM

All of mine were born in the 1800's. My grandmothers were both born in 1897, one grandfather in 1893 and the other in 1876. I knew all except the oldest. I'm 62 now, and I'm not the youngest grandchild - my youngest cousins are about 10 years younger than me.

Posted by: kak75 aka kak57 ( )
Date: December 24, 2016 02:30AM

Three of my grandparents were born in 1893, 1894, and 1896. The fourth was born in 1904. I was the grandchild born to their youngest child (mother) or next to the youngest child (father).

None of my grandparents are living.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 24, 2016 03:12AM

My paternal grandmum was born in 1882, gramps was a year younger than she was.

Her father was born in 1834. Her mum 1865.

My mother's parents were born in the early 20th century. And so was my pappy.

Date: December 24, 2016 08:48AM

You must be young, Amyjo. My parents were born in 1902 and 1904.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 24, 2016 09:21AM

How I wish I were young again lol.

After the bad news broke about Carrie Fisher, she isn't very much older than me. It's another reminder none of us are getting any younger.

My dad served in WWII. My mom wasn't born until the 1930's. I'm pushing 58 in the coming New Year.

Oh to be young again. It's said youth is wasted on the young. But is it really? When we're young we go for the gold, the opportunities, the promises to forge a life. And then after a certain age, let the chips fall where they may.

My Jewish grandmother was born in 1912. She came of age during the roaring 20's. She always wore a bob, and was young for a granny. I attributed that to her being born on Leap Year Day. She just kept her youth more than most folks her age. Why when she died it came as a complete shock and a surprise, at 80. We expected her to live to 100.

Date: December 25, 2016 06:23PM

You are young, Amyjo. BTW, one of my ancestors on the father's side was born in the city in which I live in 1699 and died in 1802, in this city.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: December 24, 2016 09:15AM

All my grandparents were born in 1800's. Sometimes when I'm looking through old pictures it kind of flips me out for some reason! I do remember one great grandmother who was born in 1866. The one time I remember is we were visiting her on her deathbed. I was so little my father was holding me so I could see her. Her left arm was on a pillow for some reason. She told me how pretty I was. I was mystified.

Date: December 24, 2016 11:07AM

aquarius123 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She told me how
> pretty I was. I was mystified.

What a nice story. Blessed by the past. Mormonism was less than 40 years and the Mormons hadn't been in Utah Territory 20 when she was born.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 24, 2016 09:53AM

All of my grandparents were born in the 1800's. By the time I came along, only my maternal grandmother was still alive.

My paternal great-grandmother was born in Vermont. Her father's name was Hiram -- perhaps it was a common name back then? She had a brother named Hiram as well. She was born about 40 miles or so from where Joseph Smith was born. She was the one that the Mormons dead-dunked.

Date: December 24, 2016 11:06AM

I think Hiram is an old Mason name. The supposed architect of Solomon's Temple.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 24, 2016 12:49PM

My grandfather was born before the Dred Scott decision.

Before the invention of barbed wire.

Before the ground was broken for the Salt Lake Temple.

When my grandfather was born the Duke of Wellington (who
defeated Napoleon at Waterloo) was still alive.

Edit: My grandfather took my grandmother as a plural wife the
year after Hugh B. Brown was born.

Edit: My grandfather was born during the Zachary Taylor
administration.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2016 03:33PM by baura.

Date: December 24, 2016 01:44PM

Too bad he didn't defeat Joseph Smith.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: December 24, 2016 01:53PM

Thank you, Elder Berry, for liking my story of a sweet memory. You, Sir, are so often eloquent.
My family was not mormon. My great grandma was Presbyterian. It's still interesting to think of that point in time and Mormonism.

Date: December 24, 2016 04:30PM

It is interesting to think about I think. One of my favorite movies is "Somewhere in Time." The time period of this movie is only 100 years ago.

For all the advances in science and human thought, our humanity shines through it all. For the people for whom Joseph Smith is their hero, many of them live more humane and sane lives than he did. Too bad we can only see some of their lives through a window of old meeting young and so darkly.

The ghosts of grandparents past still haunt us and a hundred or so years ago wasn't that long...

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: December 24, 2016 02:44PM

One of my grandparents was born in 1870 the other in 1874

Date: December 24, 2016 04:32PM

Both before my great great great bigoted and bigamous grandfather Brigham was finished ruling his Western kingdom.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 24, 2016 04:40PM

My PARENTS were barely born in the 20th century. 1903 and 1911.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: December 27, 2016 01:25AM

LOL. We're not that far apart in age, but my parents were born 1928 and 1931. As never-Mos, they came from families of two and three children, respectively. No one went on having kids into their 40s.

Date: December 27, 2016 01:28AM

Had I served a mission and been endowed, I would have been eligible to wear street length garments inside the temple. But only by three or four years. I recall you (Stray Mutt) stating that long garments (to wrists and ankles) were required for temple use when you were endowed.

Posted by: spintobear ( )
Date: December 25, 2016 03:45AM

My great-grandfather was born in 1865 and died in 1967. I was eleven years old at the time. His mind was sharp and he told me about the life in Denmark and coming to Utah in the eighteen eighties. When you tell people today that you visited first-hand with someone born at the end of the Civil War they find it to be unavailable

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: December 25, 2016 02:55PM

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: December 25, 2016 03:12PM

I'm in my mid 30s and my grandparents were born in the 1890s. My Mother was the youngest and her older brother was 21 years older than her. I was also one of the younger children, so I suppose that's the spread in years.

No connection to Mormons though. One set of relatives were outlaws, and I think in the Missouri area so possibly they robbed some Mormons, but I think that's the closest my relatives got to Mormonism.

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: December 26, 2016 05:03PM

My relatives weren't outlaws, but they did live next to Jessie James mother. She crocheted a beautiful piece of lace for my great grandmother.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 25, 2016 03:23PM

My other 3 grandparents were born in the 1890s. I'm 59 years old.

My dad's mother was the second to die of the 4. She died at age 72. My mother's dad died when I was 3 years old of cancer at age 63. My other 2 grandparents died at 83.

None of them were polygamists, although my mother's father was the son of polygamists.

His wife was not a mormon. He had met her deaf school in Colorado Springs when they were in 3rd grade. He gave her a Valentine. His family moved away soon afterwards. When he was in his late 20s, he went back to Colorado looking for my grandmother. Her father asked him to tell him honestly that he was not associated with polygamy and he lied and said he wasn't. My mother's mom did join the lds church.

I don't remember my mother's father. My other grandparents were great people who weren't extreme TBM. They were the best grandparents anyone could ask for.

My dad's parents drank coffee. I always associate the smell with their home. My dad always drank coffee once he was an adult. My grandpa chewed tobacco and served in WWI. I found out after my dad died that he also chewed tobacco most of his adult life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2016 03:26PM by cl2.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 25, 2016 06:37PM

Never mind my grandparents,I knew people who fought in the trenches of WW1 and there were not old when I knew them either. Scary stuff.

Date: December 25, 2016 08:52PM

When I was born there was a Connecticut legislator who was born during the Civil War. My dad was almost drafted in WWI but was sent to Canada for his health. Note that he began work on top secret projects in '33 which later included the A-bomb.

Posted by: escapee nli ( )
Date: December 25, 2016 09:09PM

All my grandparents were born in the 19th century. My dad's folks were born in 1886 and 1887. My mom's dad, at least, waz born in the 1896. Not quite sure about her mother, but she was in her 30s when Mom and her twin brother were born in 1933, 8 years after Mom's next brother. She also had a brother who was 20-25 when he killed himself when Mom was 5. So Grandma could easy have been born in the 1890s. Pop was born in 1927, when his folks were 40 and 41, seven years after the last baby.
My folks were married young, but didn't have their first child till they'd been married 4 years. I'm their second child, born when they'd been married 9 years. I'm 56.

Other Susan

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 25, 2016 10:10PM

All 4 of my grandparents were born in the 1800's. One grandmother was born in 1887, the other in 1892. Both of my grandfathers died before I was two years old, so I don't remember them. They were both born in the 1880s.

I'm feeling pretty ancient myself.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: December 25, 2016 10:57PM

Not me. Earliest of mine was born in 1907.

My maternal grandmother was born in 1909. But *her* father was born in 1839, in Kirtland (not a plyg, just married someone much younger after 1st wife died), and came over the plains in the 1850s. I haven't heard if he sang as he walked and walked and walked and walked… and… walked. Probably not.

And his folks (my great-great-grandparents) were hitched by none other than Joseph Smith Hisself. As far as anyone knows, Smith didn't put the move on G-G-Gma.

This is the same line that makes me a 4th cousin to ificouldhietokolob, and 1st cousin 3x removed to Ann Eliza Webb Young.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 26, 2016 04:39PM

My grandparents were all born around 1890. Two were born in former Confederate states, and there were plenty of people alive then who remembered the Civil War.

In 1890, there were still a few people alive who remembered John Adams and Thomas Jefferson (both died in 1826).

One grandmother, the last to die, in the late 1980s, was a married adult with 6 children before she was allowed to vote in the US. That's kind of mind boggling.

And that I knew somebody (all my grandparents) who knew people that were in the Civil War boggles my mind. And that I knew someone who knew someone who knew Thomas Jefferson - that lets you know how young our country really is.

Posted by: another oldie ( )
Date: December 26, 2016 07:32PM

My grandparents were all born in 19th century:

maternal: 1873,
1872 (her father fought in the Civil War)
(and her g.g.grandfather fought in
Revolutionary War)

paternal: 1878, 1885

Date: December 27, 2016 12:31AM

This topic makes me wonder if there is a single GA with a grandparent NOT born in the 1800s? Bednar?

Date: December 27, 2016 01:22AM

We are no=Mo's. Maternal grandfather born 1890, maternal grandmother born 1894 (she died 1997 aged 103). My paternal grandparents were born in the early 1900s.

Mom's parents always referred to any brand of refrigerator as a "Frigidaire", as if it was a common noun (growing up, our fridge was a GE, but to my grandparents it was a "Frigidaire").

Date: December 27, 2016 11:19AM

I wonder if Frigidaire was more popular back in their day?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 27, 2016 11:50AM

My grandparents also referred to any refrigerator as a Frigidaire, so I thought I'd see if I could find out why. Wikipedia to the rescue, along with an online dictionary.

The first mass-produced residential self-contained refrigerator unit was the Frigidaire, starting around 1919, right at the end of WWI. The first recorded use of the term "fridge" was in 1926, and it may have been a shortening of the brand name, though it could have been a colloquialism for refrigerator. I think it must have come primarily from the brand name.

An early competitor was Kelvinator. Putting the groceries in "the kelv" just doesn't roll off the tongue.

Date: December 27, 2016 01:36PM

lol. Reminds me that my parents ALWAYS referred to any refrigerator no matter how new as ...

drumroll

"the icebox"

anyone else hear that?

Date: December 27, 2016 05:10PM

Yep! My mother always called it the "icebox" and just before 1950 the Fridge went on the blink and....the iceman cameth! Yes, we still had one which took chunks of ice rather than using electricity. Mom's family home still had until about 1960 a wood stove in the kitchen which got pretty hot cooking.

A house about 200 feet away from us had a fireplace for cooking from...1731. My ancestors lived there way back.

Date: December 27, 2016 06:38PM

My parents are old enough to remember iceboxes, mostly from their grandparents' kitchens. I know my paternal grandparents had a GE electric fridge from the late 1920s, because it ran in the basement of her weekend country home through the late 1980s. it was then packed up and stored, and might still run but who knows.My maternal grandparents were less well to do and likely had an icebox into the 1930s or even 40s. My father can remember the ice man bringing blocks of ice to his grandmother's kitchen, but not to his mother's kitchen

Date: December 27, 2016 09:05PM

I'm sorry if this is hijacking the original thread, but you and rhgc have just jogged a memory from the deepest vaults of this old noggin!

Neighbor kids and I licking on shards of ice from the ice truck on a sultry summer day.. bliss!

I wouldn't have believed there was still ice delivery in the late 40'S but there you are.

Date: December 27, 2016 03:47PM

Yep. Frigidaire rolled out the first non-built-in fridge that you could plug in anywhere. Built=in refrigerators for commercial and high-end residential use existed earlier, but Frigidaire was the first for the masses.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: December 27, 2016 11:24AM

And 3 of my grandparents were born in Utah before it was a state.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2016 11:25AM by auntsukey.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: December 27, 2016 02:38PM

All four, but all near the end of it: 1885, 1890, 1890, and 1896. My grandmother was born the day before George Burns--19 January 1896--and died about two months before him, so they both made it to 100.

None were LDS. All made it past 80 except my grandfather, who died at 64 of complications from an auto accident in the days before seat belts. Now that I'm 71, I find myself reflecting on that occasionally.

Season's Greetings from the Backseater.

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: December 27, 2016 03:03PM

My grandfather's grandfather, George Hoopes Yearsly, was born in 1840 and died in 1930. (My mother was born in 1924, so overlapped with him.) His father and mother were baptized by Joseph Smith at Nauvoo after they had moved from Pennsylvania. His father died in Winter Quarters, and he, his mother and siblings made the trek west to SL. Presumably, he told my grandfather stories about his life, but those were not passed on to me. My grandfather and grandmother, however, did not take the church very literally. I did hear stories though about growing up in a small Mormon village and bits and pieces of life in a polygamous community.

The past is very near. Years ago I read an article called "Socrates, Shoeless Joe Jackson, and Me." The author, when he was a young boy, once went to a baseball game with his grandfather, who as a young boy had seen Shoeless Joe play. The author then links together the lives of various notable people at eighty-year intervals - like a relay race - going back to the time of Socrates. It takes only about 28 life spans to go back that far.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.