Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: paulk ( )
Date: December 29, 2016 04:19PM

Got a note saying that our new ward meeting time is 11 a.m. But rather than just a to-the-point message, it was full of flowery language like "we hope you had a wonderful Christmas as you looked to light the world with your acts of service".

It then concludes with "may the Lord's blessings be poured out upon you, with love ... the bishopric".

Why can't they just say what they have to say without all this extra spiritual language mumbo-jumbo. My personal opinion is that how the Apostles in the scriptures wrote so they subconsciously think that's how they have to write.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: December 29, 2016 04:38PM

" My personal opinion is that how the Apostles in the scriptures wrote so they subconsciously think that's how they have to write."

No, it's just their way of spinning a prison sentence into seeming like a vacation. "Light the world with your acts of service" = "Clean the bathrooms and love every minute of it".

"may the Lord's blessings be poured out upon you, with love ... the bishopric". = Keep those tithing checks coming and you'll receive unproven, magic blessings from a dentist that has no special powers.

Posted by: dodo ( )
Date: December 29, 2016 04:44PM

Just reading what your Ward wrote to you has caused my bosom to burn. Or it could be the green peppers on my pizza, they do that too.

Posted by: cranky cecil ( )
Date: December 29, 2016 05:10PM

if people didn't talk like that we'd have no church

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 29, 2016 05:32PM

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 01:33PM

Some bishops and their counselors really take their calling as a sure sign they are the best thing that has ever happened for the ward members.

Posted by: Pariah ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 11:49PM

I have received many notes, letters, and fliers from the Mormon cult.

Never, ever, was there a "thank you" in them!

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 31, 2016 01:24AM

Good points here. They feel it's their 'calling' (card). It makes them feel higher. I can think of other ways, naturally. Then again, I'm a realist; pragmatic... not dogmatic.

It's repetition [L.T.W - acts of service: how about in June? No originality there. It's 'that time of year']. Act like you are/ feel special. Pour out blessings, like I didn't just pour out my wine, but rather spilled it. Not a blessing!

Nothing special. Nothing original. Nothing honest and to the point! Nothing personal. Following spiel. N9No simplicity. No succinct messages. No way.

No care but rather rendition repetition. No reply. No thanks!

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: December 31, 2016 12:34PM

It's not just the morg! Our nations politicians and news media do this as well!

Posted by: Topped ( )
Date: December 31, 2016 05:36PM

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: December 31, 2016 06:55PM

Related point: When I hear the word "scripture" my Bullshit Radar kicks on automatically.

"The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us." -- Paul Valéry

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 31, 2016 07:46PM

Worse when TBMs use it at work & other to establish/reinforce dominance...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2016 07:47PM by GNPE.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.