Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: What's Next? ( )
Date: January 01, 2017 11:35AM

Absolutely have to share what happened to me recently during a conversation with an LDS member who was determined to bring me "back to the fold."

In advance, I do confess I intentionally guided the discussion towards the temple...

I asked the member what in his humble opinion is the most SACRED event or topic around which the LDS church or Christianity focuses. I fully expected what he said, btw.

He replied it was Christ's sacrifice- the atonement. I agreed with him. I then asked him if there is ANYTHING about the atonement that he would not feel comfortable talking about? Somewhat perplexed, he re: no. I asked if there is anything AT ALL he would not share with an church investigator re: Christ's atonement and his teachings- seeing as how it is the MOST SACRED event in the LDS church and Christianity.

He re: with a no.

I then asked him to treat me as an investigator and explain the LDS' rationale of secrecy behind the temple- if the atonement is indeed the most sacred event to the LDS church.

There was nothing he could say.

When the day comes that we meet our Maker, I'm confident he will not:

- perform an underwear check
- ask if we visited some multi-million $ building (temple) on a routine basis where we'd swear allegiance to the organization that constructed said building

just a few thoughts

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 01, 2017 12:22PM

I would have guessed the first tithing settlement.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 01, 2017 12:44PM

For Christians, the most holy and sacred event would be Easter. However, Mormons seemed to do a better job with Pioneer Day rather than Easter, just saying...the Honored, Blessed Pioneer's Boner.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: January 01, 2017 12:58PM

For me personally it would be june 27th but I keep this to myself.

Posted by: What's Next? ( )
Date: January 01, 2017 01:32PM

@Felix- I had to research that date to determine the significance.

I'd propose that had the events of June 27th not occurred, the Federal GOVT would eventually tried and convicted JS of treason- for ordering the printing press destroyed...an act preventing first amendment rights.

Interesting to think how that would have changed history...

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: January 01, 2017 01:44PM

The most sacred and holy event was the moment I decided to leave.

Oh, various stuff happened in the church--stuff involving Jesus, Joseph Smith, etc. But they're not important.

That's the thing: church stuff doesn't matter. They pale before that morning (I forget which) when I walked out the door after SM, felt the sun on my face and knew at that moment, "Never again."

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 01, 2017 02:32PM

when tommy monson proudly proclaimed:

"Let's Go Shopping" at the Lord's Mall

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 01, 2017 02:58PM

I concur

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: January 02, 2017 02:12AM

We thank thee o God for a profit!

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: January 01, 2017 03:02PM

I'm an investigator and I would say the most sacred and holy event in Mormonism would be anything to do with what goes on inside the temple. This is from personal experience and knowledge about the culture and religion.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 01, 2017 03:33PM

The rupture of Fanny Alger's hymen.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 02, 2017 02:41AM

Joseph worshipped often at the Holiest of Holies.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 01, 2017 11:36PM

When tscc lied (what'snew?) and said caffeine never was taught to be against the WOW (work of wiseless); that the HOT DRINKS commandment somehow got misconstrued; that they 'never taught that'. Since it was leaked to the SLTrib and not spilled to the members, in November, 2012, it must have been pretty holy helly.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 02, 2017 12:12AM

I would think the day that a TBM realizes the truth and walks out of TSCC and walks with new found integrity into a genuine life.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 02, 2017 12:23AM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 02, 2017 12:27AM

According to Boredom Beating Hinckley the only event of any significance in Mormonism was The First Vision.

Either Smith saw God or he's a swindler.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2017 12:27AM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 02, 2017 11:42PM

To me, it would have to be the First Vision as this was the big event when Mormonism was born and declared to be the one true church on the earth. It was also the time that Joseph Smith's imagination and myth-making was off an' running full steam ahead.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.