Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: benjimanluther ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 03:17AM

I'm a professional freelance musician with a masters degree in my field. I play multiple instruments, including piano and organ, and I'm a very good accompanist.

This skill-set has made it fairly easy for me to pick up work as a church musician. I play piano and organ for Sunday services at two different churches, and often pick up extra work playing for weddings, funerals, and other special events.

This has resulted in one of the major ironies of my life: I am an atheist, but a major portion of my income is earned working for churches.

I could easily feel conflicted about this. On one hand, I have a rather negative view of organized religion, and I believe the world would be a better place without magical thinking. On the other hand, I'm pragmatic and opportunistic. I'm at an early stage of my career, still trying to carve out my niche, and I would be stupid to turn down anything that pays. At this stage, churches are my most consistent source of work, and the pay is better than most of the other things I do. I also enjoy the work most of the time.

Church work could easily turn into a comfortable full-time career for me, but I'm also pursuing some avenues that could take me into a more secular realm. Either way, I'll probably be doing at least some church work throughout my career, and I'm OK with that. I've worked enough menial dead-end jobs to appreciate how fortunate I am to have a career as a musician. I love what I do, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

My church jobs have also played a major role in my post-mormon healing process. Like many musicians, I did a lot of free playing for the Mormon Church over the years. Getting paid to do what I used to do for free brings a smile to my face and makes me feel like I am thumbing my nose at the cult.

So, what are your thoughts? Is anyone else in a similar position? Does working for a cause I don't believe in make me a sell-out or a traitor? Am I giving aid and comfort to the enemy? Do I lack integrity? Give it to me straight, doc, I can take it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Res Ipsa Loquitur ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 03:24AM

Do you think you'd feel like a sellout for playing at a wedding, when you know statistically that the couple has only a 50% chance of staying married? That's clearly not a cause you could believe in. The point is, they pay you to do a job, to create music for their event. What significance they put on that event doesn't seem to me to be your business. Your job is to create music. As a convinced atheist myself, I have no problem whatsoever with you playing music for churches. Think of it as a social gathering, for that's clearly what it is.

As an aside, as a musician, you'll never escape the influence of religion on your profession. Bach, Haydn, hello? It's an antiquated relic, to be sure, but it would be silly to say as a musician that you'd never play something that has been influenced by religion. Sunday services are no different.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 03:45AM

Go for it. The church will appreciate your contribution to their music ministry whether you believe or not. I think you will find some things to your liking if you are at the right church. If not go to a church that you can tolerate. We have contemporary services at our church and we need those quitarists, dummers, pianists, etc. and soloists to give it the kick it needs. They do great. I would never worry about being a participant in a church musical group just because you don't believe. If you are making people happy and they are not hurting anyone what's the big deal?

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 03:48AM

Do you love music? How cool is it to get paid to do a job that you'd do for free anyway.

Old Protestant hymns are beautiful, Contemporary Christian music is cool. I don't think you have to believe in "religion" to appreciate the music.

JMHO. Good luck.

And, no you are not a traitor.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 03:52AM

what they do with it is their business.

you may feel censored and restricted.

Posted by: george ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 07:12AM

Music is universal. One's belief system should have little effect.
To fill a hall/sanctuary with music, one of life's pleasures.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 07:23AM

You don't have to believe to enjoy the music and the ceremony.

I'm not a believing Christian but I love Christmas and Easter.

Posted by: Truth Without Fear ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 09:50AM

My son has degrees in music and mathematics. Math pays the bills (he's a civilian Army analyst) but music often provides extra fun money. He's played Handel's "Messiah" at more Easter services for more denominations than I can count. He's an atheist (well, he says "deist") but $100/hour cash is a good gig.

Posted by: duffy ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 10:08AM

It is my understanding that many of the great artists and musicians that we all love (Michelangelo, Hayden, Mozart) were not religious at all. However they worked for religious people because it paid and it was a way to practice their art.

I had my first visit to Europe this summer. The tour guide at the Sistine Chapel told us that Michelangelo painted that beutiful ceiling because the Pope begged him to do it. He wasn't painting out of love for Christianity. He wasn't a believer. But the pope told him what he wanted up there and Michelangelo took the requests and used his talents to paint what so many people admire.

A job's a job. Go for it.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 02:23AM

duffy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is my understanding that many of the great
> artists and musicians that we all love
> (Michelangelo, Hayden, Mozart) were not religious
> at all. However they worked for religious people
> because it paid and it was a way to practice their
> art.
>
> I had my first visit to Europe this summer. The
> tour guide at the Sistine Chapel told us that
> Michelangelo painted that beutiful ceiling because
> the Pope begged him to do it. He wasn't painting
> out of love for Christianity. He wasn't a
> believer. But the pope told him what he wanted up
> there and Michelangelo took the requests and used
> his talents to paint what so many people admire.
>
> A job's a job. Go for it.

Where on earth did you get the idea that Michelangelo wasn't religious? Not according to the many biographies of him I have read.

Posted by: duffy ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 11:58AM

We had a local guide take us through and she told us that he was disrespectful of the pope, the pope's secretary, and that he didn't want to do the project at all.

Perhaps I misinterpreted what she said. But I think my DH got the same impression as me that Michelangelo and the pope were definitely not on the same page in terms of belief.

If you've read many biographies to the contrary, I bow to your more in depth research.

Date: October 24, 2010 03:32PM

Michelangelo didn't get along with the pope. That is true, but he was deeply religious. in fact he was a fan of Savonarolo. You don't necessarily have to like the pope to be a good Catholic.Here is an example of his poetry NOW hath my life across a stormy sea
Like a frail bark reached that wide port where all
Are bidden, ere the final reckoning fall
Of good and evil for eternity.
Now know I well how that fond phantasy
Which made my soul the worshiper and thrall
Of earthly art, is vain; how criminal
Is that which all men seek unwillingly.
Those amorous thoughts which were so lightly dressed,
What are they when the double death is nigh?
The one I know for sure, the other dread.
Painting nor sculpture now can lull to rest
My soul that turns to His great love on high,
Whose arms to clasp us on the cross were spread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2010 03:36PM by bona dea.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 10:13AM

A job is a job. I know seveal Republicans who work for Demoncratic elected officials, several vegetarians who have held jobs at McDonalds and other restaurants that serve meat. At least in your situation you are likely doing a job you enjoy (as opposed to flipping burgers) and some of the music is very beautiful. I am glad you get to work in your career field

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 12:19PM

What will be your bogeyman next week ?

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 06:40PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What will be your bogeyman next week ?

I like the sound of the Demoncrats, Dave. Bet they give devilish good parties!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 12:14PM

If I was a painter I would happily paint anybody's church that paid me for it. I give money to Knights of Columbus guys selling tootsie rolls because they use it to help people.

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 12:16PM

I agree with the other posters who say a job is a job. Yours is to make music. As someone else here said, what the people you play for do with that music is up to them. Go for it and enjoy getting paid for doing what you love.

Posted by: heavenlygrayflower ( )
Date: September 07, 2011 03:09AM

I found your post by asking the same question. Between us...i'm a talented keyboardist (organ and piano) and after five years we are finally singing...

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 12:18PM

What does one have to do with the other? A musician plays music.
The foundation for most music as we know it was written for churches. Who cares what the musician beliefs,it's the musicianship that is being compensated, not their thoughts or beliefs!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 12:22PM

Good grief ! You are doing what you like to do and actually getting paid for it.

Stop your whining !

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 01:03PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 06:39PM

I don't smoke, yet I wrote an advertorial for a shop selling smoker's prerequisites.

We do what we have to do.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2010 09:03AM by matt.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 11:09PM

Did you have to claim to be of the same faith as the churches you play in, in order to be hired as the organist/pianist? I'll bet they never even asked. Unless you did, you have no obligation to believe any particular way in order to play in a church.

"Getting paid to do what I used to do for free brings a smile to my face..." as it should! Enjoy your new exmo life and vocation, BenjimanLuther!

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 11:17PM

if you can stand listening to the other stuff when you're not playing.

:-)

Posted by: Troy ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 11:39PM

It sounds like a good part-time job, and if you enjoy doing it, so what. You're not contributing to their madness. You're actually making the world a little bit better by what you do. Keep doing it if you enjoy it and it pays well. But if you want a job that takes a jab at religion, there's always philosophy. But you'll make better money as a musician. Trust me on that one! And they're both a lot of fun too!

There was a long period in my life when I would have given anything to be a professional musician. By all means, enjoy the talent you've developed any chance you get! Also, I'm as atheist as they get, but I know that if you can get away from that disgusting LDS crap, some religious music is actually quite nice. I don't have to believe in God to recognize that.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2010 01:50AM by Troy.

Posted by: Skeptic ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 01:27AM

I started piano lessons at age 11, and at age 14 I was called to be Sunday School organist in our small country ward. We had an old reed pump organ and so I learned to play it. It was the motivation I needed at the time to get more serious about music.

I served in many church callings until I went inactive at age 50, and enjoyed many of them, but none as much as organist, pianist, accompanist. A few grand old church buildings had pipe organs that I dearly loved to play.

I really miss the music, the hymns, the choirs, etc. The church provided the forum that I now do not have. I think if the bishop asked me to be ward organist, I would start attending church again, even though I too am now an atheist.

I have always been greatful to the church for those opportunities. Most Christian churches have promoted music over the years.

I agree with the other posts that making money by providing music at these churches is the right thing to do. I hope you keep it up and I wish you a long satisfying career in music.

Posted by: stationarytraveler ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 01:58AM

What would be even more fun if you were to get "mellow" and then perform for the holy ones. I say, if it feels good, do it.
Just don't the let mo's take advantage of your talents. I hope they pay decent.

ST

Posted by: melisma ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 07:33AM

This is me, although I have come to peace with what I do, and what I enjoy about the king of instruments and the ensembles I direct. I would love to talk with you sometime, as soon as I figure out an anonymous way to get you contact information. Gotta run....time for work!

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 11:03AM

... the stuff between my ears ain't for sale. What is for sale is the stuff I make with that stuff between my ears.

This "singer" type person, a Mason with money, got a hold of one of my demo discs a few weeks back and said he wanted to hire me. I thought he wanted a jingle or something for his company. Turns out he wanted me to teach him how to play the keyboard and how to program a digital work station/sequencer so he could put together a one-man show. I respectfully declined.

I'm not a music teacher. Not because I'm not qualified, but because I don't want to be. Much of my formal education is in radio and television production. I didn't spend all that time and money to learn all that stuff just so I could hand it out for chump-change. Again, what is for sale is the practical application of that knowledge which comes with a appropriate price-tag.

It occurs to me that they're paying you to play music. I'm fairly certain whatever they're paying you isn't enough, so its quite unreasonable for them to request any more than that. Your personal beliefs are simply not on the trading block.

Timothy

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 01:02PM

I'm in the same boat myself actually. Since church musicians is the kind of musician I am in most of my gigs anyway I'm thinking about making a career of it. But where I am they would want me to be baptised if I am to get something more than merely temporary employments. And it's not so much wether I believe or not but that employment in a christian church means you should not be openly hostile to christianity. Afterall music is for these churches what commercials are for companies, it would not look good if the actor in the commercial spoke out against the product s/he is paid to sell.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 01:22PM

Hard to imagine where liturgical music would be right now without doubters (they'd still have Bach at least).

I just made a few bucks playing for the Lutherans last week.

I have to say though that as a nonbeliever who hasn't attended services of any kind for four years (xmas excepted when I go with my TBM family) I just DON'T GET church. It just doesn't do a thing for me. I used to cling to the music in my last gasps of faith, but I have to say that while I will always love music it doesn't bring me mystical religious feelings any more.

On some level I mourn its loss, but I traded my pack of lies for a pack of truth and even if sometimes it's heavier, I have no choice but carry it.

I do still enjoy communing with other musicians making music. That part hasn't changed.

Date: October 24, 2010 03:37PM

I don't see it as a problem at all, unless you lied about your beliefs to get the job. Otherwise, enjoy it.

Posted by: christian music ( )
Date: October 20, 2011 10:53AM

Being a church musician is different than just playing for who ever. You as a church musician are playing for GOD. If you don`t feel the music, you might as well play rap and crap.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: October 20, 2011 10:55AM

You're a musician...by definition musicians will play for pay anytime/anywhere, lol!

One of my good friends is atheist but she goes to church every Sunday for the music only.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 20, 2011 11:04AM

Now if you present yourself as a believer in God in order to get those gigs, I would start to wonder if you were also a lying sack of s...

Also, depending on the over all message of a Church, I could have a problem. Playing for the Westboro Baptist Church would get some criticism from me, Playing for UU would not. This would be true of any organization, I'm often critical of those that support hate spewing groups regardless of if the groups are religious, corporate, nonprofit, or informal gatherings.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2011 11:20AM by MJ.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: October 20, 2011 11:39AM

another way to look at it ... you can be an unbeliever and still participate. I don't necessarily think this is for everyone, but take a listen and you decide ...

http://mormonexpression.com/2011/10/06/162-chuck-borough-the-atheist-agnostic-believer/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.