Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: alera ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 10:47PM

Miss you down here! Just reread your book. Glad you divorced "Monty".

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 07:01PM

Reading Secret Ceremonies helped me to recover from the mormon cult's routine psychological mistreatment. I hope she found the happiness in the next life that seemed to elude here in this one.

Posted by: Exmo Mom ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 08:24PM

I'm guessing had she been able to hold out a big longer, she would have loved this board and maybe would have found some solace here, among fellow Exmos. And maybe she would have been able to truly recover.

Seems that for some, writing is a big part of recovery. Although that can take a long time. It's not a quick process usually.

Posted by: Tempe-X ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 12:48AM

I think this board was active at the time of her death

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 08:42PM

"Secret Ceremonies" was one of the first books I read on Mormonism. I was saddened to learn of her death.

Posted by: wow ( )
Date: January 09, 2017 12:53AM

I loved her writing for The Phoenix New Times and her work about the church.

She was harassed and bullied by the church both from salt lake and in Arizona.

she had more intellectual integrity than the 12 Mormon assholes put together.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: January 10, 2017 11:08PM

One thing that sealed my resolve to leave the church for good was what many of the posts on a newspaper's website said in an article about Deborah's death. Almost all of the comments to the article announcing her death were almost celebratory, and condemned her, and used the conditions of her death to (in their minds) prove that the church is true. I didn't see anything there to mourn the loss of her life. It's been decades now and I am sure that thread somewhere in cyberspace is either gone now, or too difficult to find. The fact that the church creates people like those who condemned her under those conditions, reaffirms my belief that I was a part of a genuine cult. It looks to me like she escaped from the cult with her integrity in-tact and just couldn't go very much further in her life after that.

Posted by: link ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 01:14AM

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 07:10AM

She had some kind of incurable cancer at the time of her death.

She also suffered from severe bouts of depression, no doubt related to her having been Mormon for as long as she was.

Deborah overcame a great deal, but she still faced her own demons at the end of the day.

I hope she found more solace in the life ever after, than she was afforded in this one.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.