Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dawn ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 07:52AM

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=164852043541641

So I just received this invitation.. (I have no idea why... lol) anyways.. the mormon crowd wants to have a bear your testimonkey day on November 6th as a birthday present for uncle urkdorf..
go check out the comments or comment on it too... What a special day... ugggg! Gag!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2010 10:15AM by dawn.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 23, 2010 07:54AM

and here is a special reminder just from the event site... lol

"I would like to remind everyone who comments on this group to leave your remarks respectful. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and they aren't always the same as others. That is fine, but try to keep the comments respectful and positive. We aren't here to upset people, we are here to share what we know and love."

WHATEVER!

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 08:05AM

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 03:28PM

Posted by: Troy ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 09:09AM

I've decided that when people flaunt their religion in public, they're just begging to be challenged. I can't turn them down. It's like a drug to me. If you think your religion is too sacred for criticism, you have no business discussing it in public. Facebook is a public site. I'll be there, but I won't be bearing my testimony. I'll be challenging the people who do. For a philosopher, the Mormon testimony is like the best punching bag around, and they will not shut up about it. So I humor them. I don't have to do any work at all. To me, it's like a video game. Silly arguments appear on the screen and I take them down, one after another. When someone throws a temper tantrum, I score one point.

Please pass the hemlock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2010 09:10AM by Troy.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 08:51AM

thanks for the warning. I'm sure some of my Mo friends & relatives will pick up on this.

If they direct this testimonkey to me or the apostates of the clan in general they'll get a reading list in response.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 11:59AM

I like your idea of sending a reading list if they contact you about this.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 10:07AM

"Let’s remind the world that we love these men and we support them 100%!"

As a self-proclaimed "Christian" Church, shouldn't the testimonies be about JC, not about ookdorf, and the other self proclaimed Profit, Seers and Revelators??

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 10:15AM

"At this time especially, Elder Packer’s talk is being picked at and distorted to anger people."

The only "distortion" was by Packer himself in going back and "editing" his speech as to what he said. Sorry, a speech is speech. You can't go back and "edit" to what you "meant" to say anymore than the day after getting a ticket for running a red light you can go back the next day and stop, and say see, "this is what I meant to do yesterday, so don't give me the ticket."

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 08:41PM

YES!YES!YES!

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 08:43PM

This was supposed to go under scarecrowfromoz.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 10:10AM

I will happily leave my testimoney that day in response to anyone (except my boss for obviouse reasons) I will let them know that I have read the BOM and I recieved a warm feeling that it wasn't true.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 12:00PM

Yep, simple, clear and true. That is a great testimonkey.

Posted by: mick ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 08:05PM

Posted by: Troy ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 09:26AM

My boss loves it when I criticize Mormonism. He's from India and it blows his mind to hear my stories. And he's seen some crazy stuff in his life. He's an expert on the religions of India, for example. It's like he can't get enough of it. He's always suggesting that I talk about it more in class. The only reason I don't say a whole lot is because the whole lecture tends to get sidetracked immediately. I'm actually pretty shy about discussing polygamy in class and usually I don't do it unless people ask. But last week the boss was out of town and the students peppered me with questions about polygamy. Fortunately, I can always work it into the lecture since we are teaching about human rights and justice. It's extraordinary, actually, being able to talk about this stuff in front of an auditorium full of university students. And let me tell you, we have some very sharp young minds in there! They are our future political leaders and philosophers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2010 09:28AM by Troy.

Date: October 23, 2010 01:32PM

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 01:47PM

Otherwise known as "easy way to get hidden or unfriended day."

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 07:35PM

always tell them that I tried to read the BoM and it put me to sleep.

Posted by: Seattle exmo ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 12:48AM

Saw this comment on the wall of the event page

"There is nothing like the power of a testimony."

How about reason?

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 01:53AM

Art Garfunkel, a year and a day younger, was born Nov 5, 1941. I am going to put my testimony of the words of the prophets written on the subway wall on my Facebook page Nov 5. Happy Birthday Art!

Date: October 24, 2010 08:13AM

we should all post there about the truth of Packer's hateful speech, etc., and let these brainwashed people know that their message is not going to get out as well as they want it to.

Date: October 24, 2010 09:57AM

I was thinking the same thing... on the same day.... and let our voices be heard as well.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 10:29AM

Only a very few members of my family know that I'm an apostate. Most assume I still believe, but that I just don't attend. It's an unfortunate situation I have to deal with, but I don't see them often, so I manage.

However, if any of my family members post, I plan on calling out Packer's speech and providing the research I've accumulated over the years that shows that "god" would allow someone to be born gay

Posted by: testiphonie ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 10:11AM

"oh fetch ward temple trip that day, can't do it," or "i'll be at a genealogy conference all day." That's Some petty one-upmanship. What a sad and stupid concept. Somehow reciting their " I KNOW" checklist on Dorf's bday is going to change peoples lives? I get queasy reading that thread but it also gives me a sick pleasure.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 10:42AM

What's the invitation say? Only those on fb can see it.

Date: October 24, 2010 11:36AM

so my friend jeska has this great idea and I want to share it with all of you. Here is what she said, "As many of you may know, many General Conferences have mentioned that there is opposition in all things, there is good and evil everywhere. A large item mentioned along those lines is the internet. I got to thinking, what am I doing that helps make the internet a good place?
Here’s the plan: on November 6th, 2010, let’s get as ...many testimonies on facebook as we can. Share your testimony over your status, comment on someone’s wall, do something to share your testimony. It couldn’t hurt anything, just share it. Just tell what you know and love, that’s all that I ask.
Also, I think it would be nice to mention that we sustain our prophets and apostles. I keep thinking about what it would be like to give a talk in front of thousands of people only for a large amount of people to criticize and tear it apart. At this time especially, Elder Packer’s talk is being picked at and distorted to anger people. Let’s remind the world that we love these men and we support them 100%!

Now, what does this all have to do with November 6? Well, that is President Uchtdorf’s birthday. Shhh, don’t ruin the surprise! Let’s give him a surprise birthday present of our testimonies to the world. Tell your friends and family too. Keep this message moving along.

“You can be popular for a moment or respected for a lifetime.”

I would like to remind everyone who comments on this group to leave your remarks respectful. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and they aren't always the same as others. That is fine, but try to keep the comments respectful and positive. We aren't here to upset people, we are here to share what we know and love.

Date: October 24, 2010 10:44AM

More Info so my friend jeska has this great idea and I want to share it with all of you. Here is what she said, "As many of you may know, many General Conferences have mentioned that there is opposition in all things, there is good and evil everywhere. A large item mentioned along those lines is the internet. I got to thinking, what am I doing that helps make the internet a good place?
Here’s the plan: on November 6th, 2010, let’s get as many testimonies on facebook as we can. Share your testimony over your status, comment on someone’s wall, do something to share your testimony. It couldn’t hurt anything, just share it. Just tell what you know and love, that’s all that I ask.
Also, I think it would be nice to mention that we sustain our prophets and apostles. I keep thinking about what it would be like to give a talk in front of thousands of people only for a large amount of people to criticize and tear it apart. At this time especially, Elder Packer’s talk is being picked at and distorted to anger people. Let’s remind the world that we love these men and we support them 100%!

Now, what does this all have to do with November 6? Well, that is President Uchtdorf’s birthday. Shhh, don’t ruin the surprise! Let’s give him a surprise birthday present of our testimonies to the world. Tell your friends and family too. Keep this message moving along.

“You can be popular for a moment or respected for a lifetime.”

I would like to remind everyone who comments on this group to leave your remarks respectful. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and they aren't always the same as others. That is fine, but try to keep the comments respectful and positive. We aren't here to upset people, we are here to share what we know and love.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 11:24AM

Uchtdorf actually gives some well-thought out talks in GC IMO. He tends to give talks with a more christ-centered approach.

Date: October 24, 2010 11:42AM

Let's all try and bear our testimonkeys that day if we have a fb account =)

Date: October 24, 2010 04:38PM

Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 07:09PM

This is just sick and weird. I don't want to hear people touting a religion, when they don't even care to delve into how it was really founded. Ugh, and on FB, nonetheless. Thank you for the warning. I will have my blinders on that day.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 07:17PM

As for "Elder Packer's" talk, it doesn't have to be distorted to anger people.

Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 02:18AM

Just saw this on FB as well. I might be deleting a lot of friends soon!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.