Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: LifeFromANewView ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 09:54AM

Am I a coffee addict? no but I finally found a brand I enjoy and I've bought everything I needed(minus some filters but some internet hacks helped.) I finally made coffee by myself for the first time in my life. I am now going to go hide my coffee, my creamer, and everything else somewhere I won't get grief from my TBM mother over! Is this anything special? eh not really but its a step towards recovery to me where coffee is just a drink instead of this big spooky evil liquid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 09:56AM by lifefromanewview.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 10:05AM

I love this post,lifefromanewview! Our favorite brand of coffee is only distributed in a grocery store miles away from where we live, but we drive out there every so often and buy at least 6 bags of it. We hide our coffee maker from our still-believing daughter and son-in-law. When I bought our coffee maker, I was looking around to make sure no one who knew me from the neighborhood saw me doing this evil deed! :D

Posted by: LifeFromANewView ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 10:07AM

Lol I went to the grocery store today and picked up my favorite brand. The whole time I was scanning the store aisles for my mother's ward members. Because you can bet they'd rat me out in a second.

Posted by: primarypianist ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 11:04AM

My husband loves coffee, but I absolutely hate it!! The smell, the taste...yuck!! That said, he really wants a coffee maker, but I won't let him get one. Partly cause I hate the smell, and partly cause I don't want to get shit from my parents. It really sucks that we can't be our authentic selves, cause we're too worried about the snide remarks, or judgement we'll get over it.

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 04:37PM

There's a solution when it comes to the smell. Set the coffee maker up next to your stove top. When you make coffee, turn on the exhaust fan. Problem solved.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 11:13AM

It's not just the coffee, but the whole ritual, the whole culture, that I have loved for over four decades.

I have so many fond memories centered around coffee: reading William Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying" in a coffeehouse in San Francisco from cover to cover in one night--thereafter, Faulkner became one of my favorite writers. Nursing a mug of French roast in another cafe when a young woman came in, looked around, and sat down at the empty chair at my table; we eloped a few months later. Calling out "Coffee's ready!" to my neighbors David and Jim in our apartment complex in Costa Rica, whereupon we met up at the table in the garden surrounded by hummingbirds and butterflies sipping at the tropical flowers; we'd discuss the news of the day and plot our next adventure...

It goes on and on. Try, to as great an extent as possible, to delve into the whole of coffee culture. Take a new empty notebook and a couple pens with you, and write the Great American Novel; stare off into space and regale in your solitude and peace, like Hemingway's protagonist in "A Clean Well-Lighted Place"; keep an eye out for your next significant other (or insignificant other).

Coffee is not only a drink--it's a portal.

Posted by: Hamster on a wheel ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 11:41AM

Wow.

Seriously this post just speaks to my heart. Coffee is a portal. :)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 11:44AM

Coffee is so earthy and so pure--it's like saying fuck--it uplifts, cleanses the soul, and is best enjoyed with a good friend.

I'm on my way to my local Mom and Pop coffee roasters. This cup is dedicated to my friends, Getbusyliving and lifefronanewview.

The Javanese Boner.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 11:15AM

I'll drink to that. In fact, I'll go make another cup of French Roast right now :)

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 08:25PM

I love this! Coffee really is a portal, a way to get away from Mormonism. As for Mormons, I no longer care if they see a coffee machine or seeing me drink coffee around them.

For me when I joined, coffee was actually the hardest thing to give up, and there were times when my ex was at his junior college, I had coffee at the university campus I was attending at the time. I just made sure to avoid his roommate who worked at one of the food court restaurants in the student union, as I know he would have ratted me out.

Obviously, when I left TSCC and divorced my ex-husband, I took up where I left off when it came to coffee. The thing is that now, I have an espresso machine, a French press, and a regular coffee machine. My favorite thing on Sunday mornings is to use the French press as it reminds me of my freedom. When my divorce was being processed, I happened to be buying coffee at the local Target, and someone from the ward saw what I was buying, grabbed her children, and walked as fast as possible to get away from the evil beans I was buying.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 11:19AM

I didn't learn to make a decent cup of coffee until after I'd been married to an exmo for a few years.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 11:27AM

My mom drank coffee until she converted when I was 11. I used to make it for her in a Pyrex percolator. Loved the smell of it even back then. Didn't try a cup until I was 17. I was in Edmonton on a party trip and was at a coffee shop on the University of Alberta campus and had my first cup....with waaaay too much sugar in it....but I was hooked. Been enjoying a fine cup o' Joe ever since.

RB

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 11:40AM

My paternal Catholic grandmother absolutely adored her coffee and cigarettes. When both were taken from her int eh nursing home, she shortly died afterwards. :,( My late father told me he knew that's why I took to coffee so easily after leaving the cult.

Making coffee is ritualistic and soothing. Because I have some sleep disorders, it gives me a boost and something to look forward to in the morning. Plus, it smells heavenly. I get up, grind the beans, and on my days off use the French press BF gave me to make an absolutely delicious cup of coffee. Adding Rum Chata or Bailey's is a real treat on the holidays.

Of course, it's not for everyone and people have to learn to make their own grown-up decisions rather than thinking they MUST drink it now that they're exmos. It is, however, nice to be able to make one's own decisions rather than giving into peer pressure or cult-think.

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 04:47PM

Coffee is one of those things that you have to play with. There are so many ways to do it and none of them are wrong.

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 04:58PM

Coffee has been a part of my life ever since I can remember. I love the smell of coffee in the morning. If you get a grinder, and have a location to buy it by the bean, do so.

I prefer a LOT of cream and sugar though, so I'm not a purist I suppose.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 05:12PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 05:12PM by donbagley.

Posted by: Pariah ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 05:37AM

My RS President Mom taught me how to drink coffee. She drank it black, and so did the men I worked with in Silicon Valley. I was the only female in the office, and I was automatically supposed to know how to make coffee. I was the executive assistant to the president and the vice president and the comptroller, and they were the higher-ups. These men drank an average of 6-7 cups a day, and they were depending on me. I was qualified for the rest of my jobs, but not for this. So--I followed the directions on the coffee maker exactly. They said my coffee was the best ever--but when I tasted it, it tasted nasty.

Purists, like my TBM mother, like their coffee black. She says it's more "refreshing" that way. I have to have milk or cream in it, to cut the acid. No sugar. The heavy pumpkin spices, and sweet vanilla and caramel defeat the purpose of coffee. It is not meant to be a meal or a dessert. It is an American ritual.

I always drank coffee before a test or an important work presentation. I swear it made me smarter! For an hour or so, anyway.

I miss it. I have IC, and can't have caffeine. I enjoyed it while I could.

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 11:36AM

http://camanoislandcoffee.com

This is my favorite coffee. I agree with your mom, black is more refreshing. It has to be good quality freshly ground and brewed to enjoy it black. If it's been cooking in the pot for a half hour, and is cheap coffee to begin with, you probably won't like it black. It will be bitter and sour. That's when you load it up with things to mask the flavor.

Find a good whole bean coffee. Buy a grinder. Grind each portion as you use it. Don't grind up the whole bag and then let it sit there.If your tap water isn't that great, use bottled water.

Enjoy.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 11:46AM

Here, friend, is how you drink coffee:

Move to the Pacific NW on the rainy, populated side--Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, Corvallis... Buy a house with a deck. On a cold and drizzly morning (this will happen almost immediately, possibly turning your August day into November), make a very hot cup of coffee, pull on a hoodie, and sit on the deck in the drizzle and sip your coffee. Oddly, it makes you yearn for more cold drizzle so that your coffee will taste that good again. This is the symbiotic relationship between coffee and the Pacific NW, and why Starbucks comes from Seattle.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 04:36PM

Fresh hot coffee and a drizzly afternoon!

Pity the Celestial Kingdom. How could it ever compete?

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 02:18PM

It sounds like a big, spooky evil.

I bet your mother - like mine, and nearly everyone else's here - drinks HOT DRINKS (and foods): HOT CHOCOLATE, Raja's Cup, moron tea tee, possum, etc...

They also don't know their moron leaders okayed it a few years ago when the profit and mittens were caught red handed, drinking caffeine, which isn't prohibited. Though TSCC lied (yet again), saying it was never prohibited.

Drink up! What's the drink about?

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 04:54PM

I love coffee and I think it's way better for the body than soda. I do drink both by the way. I can't tell you all how many times I have had conversations with LDS family and friends about this forbidden drink. It can make your morning happier. Keep you regular. It just tastes great! Their response is a close comparison like it's meth or heroine. No joke, they think its that bad. It makes me laugh every time. Oh silly mormons..

Posted by: jaded ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 05:02PM

When we first left the church I kept my little mini coffee pot in my bathroom. I was afraid what my family would think of me for making and drinking it so soon after we exited TSCC.

Now, I have two kids who roast coffee (it's delicious), a drip coffee pot, an espresso machine that foams milk for lattes, an Aeropress, and two French presses. I keep about six flavors of coffee syrup on hand all the time. We order coffee online and try various roasts and regions each time we order. I have to buy it in ten pound increments because we drink so much.

I also make coffee milk for my under-ten grand kids.

Coffee is life, man. Drink up.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 11:57PM

Since leaving Mormonism, I've resisted the pressure to become a coffee drinker. Guess I've never been good at following the crowd.

Doesn't taste good to me, is a hassle, coffee maker and accessories and supplies take up space, and it is all expensive.

I suppose I could make it enjoyable if I tried hard enough, just like cigarettes and booze.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 12:08AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.