Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 12:56AM

Theocracy is theocracy -- Mormon, Christian, or Muslim. Saying "my version of theocracy is better than your version of theocracy" makes no sense.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brianberkeley ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 12:46AM

Have you lived in a country under sharia? Hell on earth.

Date: January 14, 2017 07:13AM

By "sort of" I mean people whose parents worked for oil companies in Saudi Arabia, Iran, and other Persian Gulf countries. They grew up in restricted areas with Western culture (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_Aramco_Residential_Camp_in_Dhahran#Economy)

I also know people native to these countries and many of them come to America for the freedom to worship. Some take their culture with them -- but they are not trying to impose their way of life on anyone else.

Medieval societies don't change overnight. Europe in the Dark Ages and early modern period was just as intolerant -- and nasty.

American religious fundamentalists and theocratic Mormons have the same idea as the ultra extremist Muslim sects -- just follow an austere set of rules and go back to living like people did in the Middle Ages and all problems will be solved and everting will be better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2017 07:17AM by anybody.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 07:57AM

Where is the theocracy in the U.S.? People can freely leave these groups. Try to leave Islam in Saudi Arabia.

Date: January 14, 2017 08:23AM

http://www.globalchristians.org/politics/7/0104.mencimer.html

If you decry Islamic theocracy and Sharia law, then why do so many people want to turn Western societies into Christian versions of the same?

What will that solve?

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 10:11AM

I don't see Christian's or Mormons trying to be like Muslims. I spent a year in Iraq with the Army. I can't think of any religious group as fucked up or demented as Muslims.

I don't know if Mormons or Christians hate Muslims but I know I sure do.

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 10:22AM

I disagree, I see the writing on the wall, Christianity and even Mormonism are like smoldering oily rags. The only thing that keeps it in check is our constitution. Allowed to have to much oxygen and it will end up just like the middle east. Before Islam the middle east was progressive and enlightened. For example the ancient library of Alexandra is a good example.

Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 10:24AM

Like above comment.

Re "I don't know if Mormons or Christians hate Muslims but I know I sure do." The Christian approach that I have been taught is "Love the sinner, hate the sin" On the whole it makes sense, although murdering people just because they chose to help people less fortunate than themselves or practice a different religion or just got in the way of their lorry does stretch things a bit. Also, love is not luvy dovy. I hope that makes sense.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 11:30AM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Theocracy is theocracy -- Mormon, Christian, or
> Muslim. Saying "my version of theocracy is better
> than your version of theocracy" makes no sense.

You don't really know what you're talking about. Apart from the Vatican and perhaps a handful of small tribal communities, the only actual theocracies on the entire planet are Muslim.

A religion that has political influence is not the same as a theocracy. I'd suggest you a bit of study to better grasp the very significant difference.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 11:35AM

1. JS taught that he had great respect for Mohammad (having used ideas he learned from Islam).
2. Muslim clients I have had respect Mormonism - in large part because of polygamy.
3. The two religions are joined at the hip.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.