Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 12:19PM

So I saw this little piece this morning in the Ogden standard examiner and it reports some over-the-top findings of all our beloved special-snowflake-millennials who are now so stressed out. The university is expanding it's counselling services. (I thought the LDS Institute program was designed to address stressed out college kids issues?... guess not)

Highlights from the article are as follows:
1) "Senior Mary Mecham tries to go there often because majoring in music and practicing piano for three hours every day is physically and emotionally draining."
Hmm ok? music stressful? not sure what her experience in life has been?
2) Apparently there is a 21% increase in stressed out students from prior years coming to the center for help. This left me scratching my head because I'm not coming up with a reason... there wasn't some horrible war, fall in the economy, violence, loss in wages in the recent past, so why the uptick? In fact we have experienced great prosperity, few are going hungry, wages have increased nationwide, stocks are going up, American companies aren't going to mexico as much (so we are told), immigrants continue to come to Utah wanting the better life.
3)"Busch said while people who went to college decades ago might have used denial as a coping strategy...now kids are dealing with childhood trauma." I'll agree with them there, being crazy wasn't seen as desirable back 20 years ago. But I guess now it's in vogue. And kids expect Universities to rub their feet and massage our ____, cuz reading books is so stressful? But childhood trauma being worse, where's the evidence?
4) They also want to bring dogs to finals week...

5) I always thought that the LDS institute program was suppose to address students emotional needs, they've got the relaxation room, pool tables, hymn singing classes, prayers, It's all free, doesn't cost tax payers or students anything, Shouldn't that be enough? What does everyone think?

http://www.standard.net/Health/2017/01/13/Weber-State-sees-uptick-in-use-of-mental-health-services-as-student-health-takes-focus

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 12:33PM

at least since the film "Man's Search for Happiness" (early or mid-60's), LDS Inc. has billed itself as the One-Stop life-style, healer, source of life, end-all solution for life's challenges;

I guess that thought, that era is now Officially OVER, DONE, & PAST.

sic transit gloria mundi

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.