Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 11:13PM

http://www.sltrib.com/news/4817848-155/two-in-custody-after-car-jacking-taxi

My apologies for a bit of induglent self-centeredness, but every time there's an incident like this in Salt Lake--fortunately they are very rare--somebody puts a thread up worrying about me...

I usually don't see them until the next morning, but I gave myself the night off because the Outdoor Retailer Show ended last night.

I can report I had my usual material ready and available, authentic history of the LDS Church and thank you's to those folks for the small part they play in keeping the anti-environmental Philistines, mostly LDS, in the local government at bay.

Carry on...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 12:14AM

Glad to hear you're not involved and are safe!~

I worked 3 nights at the parking garage for OR...I've worked in retail most of my life and have found that convention goers are generally kind of assholes. These guys were really unpleasant, although for the very first time in 18 months of working there, I got a $3.00 tip from one of them.

I'm glad I didn't have to back after Wednesday.

Date: January 14, 2017 01:39AM

I had a wonderful fare in the cab last night with the same complaint. She's a hostess at an upscale bistro, and was really upset.

I noticed business was down, but I attribute that to the so-called "ride sharing" operations--both are "four letter words" in my book--and the deregulation of the taxi business here (instead of three companies, there are now more than 500). I still managed to do okay, and I even got a big tip from some ladies who were living in halfway house but were employed in the takedown.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 09:54AM

I also do not have good things to say about "ride sharing" options which I rank right up there with MLMs.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 01:49AM

My hat is off to you, Cabbie. I couldn't do that job.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 08:01AM

Keep on truckin'... or carin'... or vanin'.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 01:18AM

Good to hear you're okay.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 01:22AM

Thanks for the post.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 05:10AM

I have never taken public transportation more illustrious than bus or trax. With that said, other than the obvious fact of that they're cutting out a lot of taxi drivers business share (I assume) what's wrong with Uber and Lyft?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2017 05:11AM by midwestanon.

Date: January 15, 2017 06:24AM

Uber lost 1.27 billion dollars last year; evidence their model isn't viable... They skim off the cream of the business, and elderly, poor, and handicapped fares are left to take taxis.

I had a wonderful fare during the OR show, a gentleman who worked as a volunteer for a taxi commission in a large Midwest City...

He described how, when he proposed background checks for drivers, Uber sued him and the Commission... Their claims on background checks are specious, and their utter disregard for the law is readily apparent. Here in Utah they bribed the legislature to change the regulations written into the Constitution, and they've done so elsewhere. When the city of Austin, Texas, voted to require background checks (which I submitted to yearly since I began driving over 20 years ago), they pulled up operations...

'Nuff...

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 05:40AM

Glad you are OK. I believe it to be a bit of an unnerving job to pick up complete strangers. Thanks for your contributions here.

Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 05:15PM

It's a good thing the cab driver got out of the vehicle when an object was held at the back of his neck. Could've turned out much worse.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.