Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 01:03PM

When I moved to Las Vegas in 1998, it was to work for Citibank Credit card division. I worked for them here in Utah and they closed the center that was out west of the airport.

There was a group of us who all went to Las Vegas, about 30 IIRC. Some of them were phones reps and the rest of us, about 15, were assigned to work for the billing disputes and we started training the week after Labor day, 1998.

Some of the people in the group were members, some weren’t and one guy who is, if I can do the math, about 45 years old now. He brought his cute wife to Vegas, they had no kids (I never knew or cared to ask why) and she got a job part time in one of the schools. He was an RM but was inactive, although she worked in Primary. Over a period of time, we had some conversations about the church and he said most of the things didn’t bother him, except that he thought it was bad that they kept teaching “that it’s the only true church and you have to be a member to make it to heaven” or something along those lines.

They only stayed in Las Vegas about 3 years and moved back to Utah. She was very close to her family and was really homesick in LV.

I’ve been a FB friend with him since I got on there, and met him for lunch once when I came to Utah, before I moved back here. That’s the only contact I’ve had with them.

This year is their 25th wedding anniversary and he posted on Facebook yesterday a picture of him and his wife, in front of the Payson Temple (speaking of an ugly temple) “25 different temples in one year for our 25th anniversary year. Temple #1 - Payson Temple”.

Elsewhere, he says they are going to England this summer and plan on going to several temples over there.

Not sure if that means they’re just getting active now or just that they’re going to go to 25 temples this year. I know lots of people do, but hauling temple clothes to Europe etc would require much more than I ever wanted to give. In my years of activity, I don't think I ever went to a temple 25 times. The worst visit was in Chicago. Long story and I laugh about it now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 01:54PM

++

I remember seeing that piece before Payson was open. So typical :)

Posted by: Pariah ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 02:47PM

For their 30th Anniversary, they are going to visit the graves of all their ancestors in Europe, Illinois, and Manti.

I guess God is in their bedroom. Seriously, Mormons have told me that they get turned-on after temple sessions! Is it the Adam-Eve movie? Is it having 100 people changing their robes and aprons together in one big room? Is it the naked touching and anointing? Is it wearing bathrobes and slippers? Is it having the women all veiled and submissive? The women dressed up like virgin brides? Polygamy harem handmaidens? Or is it just boredom?

Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 04:46PM

Sad. Such a waste of time. Kind of like going to foreign countries only for the purpose of visiting the McDonalds restaurants in each country.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 06:38PM

My 25th is coming up-. Thinking of maybe visiting 25 Costco's.

The gas is cheap, and their pizza is delicious!

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 11:59PM

Sounds like the LDS version of a pub crawl.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 12:18AM

A pub crawl would be a lot more fun.

I remember when I did the grand tour as a youth, I thought if I had to see one more cathedral I would die of boredom. They are great, sure, but there's only so many you can take. I never could have seen 25 of them.

Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 03:59PM

Several temples? there's only 2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.