Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: January 18, 2017 12:10PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 18, 2017 12:14PM

Tithing.
Nobody can give me back the lost time. :)

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 18, 2017 12:15PM

my tithing!

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: January 18, 2017 12:39PM

absolutely tithing. My time given actually gave me something back. I learned talents I never guessed I had. Man, I could use that money.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 18, 2017 12:46PM

I was not making that much money when I was an avid tithe payer. Even though that made it more of a sacrifice at the time, it wouldn't be all that much money to me now. So I'd want the time back. I certainly gave them way too much of that.

Posted by: 2thdoc ( )
Date: January 18, 2017 02:12PM

Tithing, definitely. I get a sick feeling whenever I think of the amount I paid over the course of my career. So, I try to not ever think about it.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 18, 2017 02:38PM

I want all the sex I passed up.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 18, 2017 02:42PM

I'm changing my answer to his ^ :)

Posted by: Dennis Moore nli ( )
Date: January 18, 2017 03:37PM

show me the money (even though I didn't make that much when I paid tithing)!!!!

Posted by: tiedsoul ( )
Date: January 18, 2017 04:29PM

I would love to get my tithing back and buy me some vacation time :-(

Posted by: LauraD nli ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 08:48AM

Time. Although I always paid full tithe, it wasn't much and because I was a convert I want that time back.

Posted by: neogalileo ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 10:21AM

Assuming that the hypothetical includes the ability of either, then, Time, no question about it.

I stepped off the SS LDS right after raising four kids. Now with lots of quiet moments, I pine for all those Sundays and week time spent in meetings/training, etc..., that would have been so much better spent otherwise.

But alas, I took the covenants and consecration seriously, and thus wasted so much Time on "that which doth corrupt".

Neo-Galileo.

p.s. It is so "funny" how the Stay LDS movements indicate that the problem with Ex-Mos is that they "cared too much" and took things "too seriously". What a huge cop-out and blame-shift. As if LDS HQ fostered a less-than-100% commitment and dedication. What a joke.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 10:26AM

Since this is purely hypothetical, I'll go with time.

I lost my 20's on that cult, not finding out the truth until I was 30. All my 20's were spent repenting and self loathing.

Thanks, fuckers.

Posted by: laurad ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 12:05PM

Yep. Not to mention all the guilt from thinking natural lusty thoughts. Fuckers, indeed.

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: January 20, 2017 11:47AM

When I was in the Church (and resenting it) I would have wanted my time back. Now that I have experienced life outside the Church, I want my time and my money back.

I never missed tithing because I had our finances structured so that tithing could never impact our needs. I told my wife that we would only pay tithing from money left at the end of the month. If she wanted to pay tithing, we would discuss it then. Tithing actually forced my wife to live within a budget. Otherwise, she would live "by the Spirit." If she got any impulse to buy something, unless it would directly cause her to forfeit her temple recommend she would buy it. Putting tithing at the end of the month brought that "inspiration" under control.

Now I can take a vacation. My (now ex) wife learned that I went to Las Vegas. "You never took me to Vegas!" she exclaimed. "I took you to Tithingland." Besides, I doubt she would have enjoyed LV (nor would have I with her along).

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 20, 2017 11:47PM

Time IS Money. Get time back & get money back too... not to mention truth (which they were supposed to have all along), which has been lacking all along.

Time & BS!

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: January 20, 2017 11:49PM

Tithing with interest!!

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: January 20, 2017 11:56PM

Time. Even when I was a TBM I don't think I really ever paid that much Tithing.

No, I want to go back in time and fix certain things, things that the church is at fault for. Sometimes I get so stuck on the past, and what could be if the church and my life as a born in the Covenant Mormon were not at play. So much would be different, it's maddening. I wonder if anyone else here ever has that problem.

Posted by: BAH! Lurking ( )
Date: January 21, 2017 02:49AM

Money is a quantity of time in man hours. With money, you get both your time and money back. If you do not have to work, you buy yourself time to fuck women and drink to excess. Probably best to not ask for that tithing back to prevent any disease that may be coming your way.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: January 21, 2017 06:54AM

What I want back is the guilt-free mind I should have had which they STOLE from me.

I was born into The Church; I had no choice.

The Church had a choice. They could have chosen not to fill me with terror at the prospect of dying before I had repented of my disgusting sin (masturbation). They could have chosen not to make me feel I was disgusting and a freak and under the thumb of Satan for being bisexual. They could have chosen not to lie to me on any number of historical and/or doctrinal issues. They could have chosen not to swindle money out of me in return for promising that I wouldn't be torched at some point.

But they didn't did they.

I had no choice. The Church did.

Foe a huge portion of my life they controlled me utterly, picked my pockets systematically, warped my sense of sexuality and basic self-worth.

I really don't think 'Mental Rape' is too strong a description.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2017 06:55AM by quatermass2.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 21, 2017 08:58AM

Time.

I want the two years that I spent going door-to-door trying to talk to people who didn’t want to hear me.

I want the weekends and evenings that I spent trying home teach people who didn’t want to be home taught.

I want back the time I spent in bishopric meetings, ward council meetings, correlation meetings, auxiliary training meetings, meetings, meetings, and more meetings.

I want the three hours back from countless Sundays, which was usually much more than three hours because I was either preparing a lesson, attending additional meetings, or attending to other duties.

I want all the time back that I wasted reading the scriptures. I could have spent all of that time reading something worthwhile.

I suppose that if I got my money back, I could (in a way) get time back. I’m not many years away from retirement, but I could retire now if I could get my tithing back.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.