Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sb ( )
Date: January 18, 2017 04:41PM

(This is post #1 on a series of un-Christian Mormon Doctrines)

Mormon culture and I use that term loosely, is obsessed with appearances. In fact is it part of their post-Christian doctrine (Jesus taught the exact opposite, repeatedly).

Avoid the “Appearance of Evil” was drilled into my head. I walked around having to think of how might anything I was involved or could be associated with could be misconstrued by a potential member, worse, a member, an angel or general authority.

What clothes you wear are judged with a simple glance. Not just their level of “modesty” but the cost can be quickly assessed and categorized. A young faithful teenage girl comes with short shorts to mutual: inactive parents: pity her, turn her against her parents, push her to meet with a leader to ascertain the family situation, send the missionaries.

This doctrine, one of the very few clear teachings from the church in over a hundred years, is damaging and turns people into obsessive hypocrites.

It extends to your car, your haircut, what college your kids attend.

As I travel around, I have realized that this obsession with appearances is not only limited to public behavior: it is deep within the roots of Mormon culture. I visit locations across the country and see that people live in areas and types of homes that would never be tolerated by the Mormon ranking system.

A multimillionaire with an old, run down office? No!
A well to do doctor that chooses to live downtown in an old neighborhood?

A rich couple that spend their money in their hobby instead of purchasing the obligatory McMansion? Foolishness!

There is a recipe for joy in Mormonism and it starts with a white suburban and a 600k mortgage. It’s no wonder that Utah ranks at the top of bankruptcies. It is no wonder that credit card debt among Mormons is devastating, So much for being self-sufficient.

I had neighbor couple. Mr. Goldman Sacks and Mrs. BMW finance. They lived in a 7 bedroom home across the street. They had a 1 baby. One day they put the house on the market, they NEEDED something bigger, NEEDED IT, since they had a baby and were hoping for another.

Within 5 months: she lost her job, they had barely qualified for their home they currently had. They never sold it, it was foreclosed. In the following 3 years there were 10% of the homes sold on short sales: All Mormons, all hopelessly over their heads.

Since Mormons associate financial success with righteousness:
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”

- Keith B. McMullin, General Authority for over 37 years, now head of Deseret Management Corp. (DMC), an umbrella organization for many of the church’s for-profit businesses.

Think about what he said. Only rich people can be truly spiritual. That encapsulates Mormonism. He ironically said this as he is opening up a mall. Why a mall? “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints attends to the total needs of its members” he said. The members luxury NEED retail. Not food, not education, not drinking water, they NEED Tiffany’s.

And the race for appearances begins.

And the awkwardness and stigma of being poor is perpetuated…in a Christian church, of all places.

I bought a new Mercedes recently. It was part of a business perk. My mother, who is perpetually nagging me about how much money I waste (on things for my kids, like vacations or pet food) came to visit and saw the car. I braced myself for the 45 minute lecture. I was blown away when her inner Mormon came out “that car is divine, is a great way to show your money, what did the neighbors say?!”

I was floored.

This is what Mormonism and their false doctrines do to people. It all begins as an uninspired PR campaign that the members turn into a doctrine and get carried away with it. Why?
Because these people have nothing better to do. There is no great doctrine coming down from Monson’s bullet proof penthouse. The “meat” of the gospel has long been buried in an unmarked grave, right next to Brigham Young.

Lately their “doctrines” are:

“Hasten the work”

“Be good, be nice, be kind, be smiley”

“Lengthen your stride”

“How life is like a pickle”

“Truth does not matter”

“The mantle is FAR, FAR greater than intellect”

“Let’s go shopping!!!”

“Even one small deviation or mistake will ruin your life”

“Avoid truth, at all costs”

“Doubt your doubts”

They should be learning the basics: do unto others, don’t judge, don’t lie, take care of the poor and the needy, don’t cast stones, forgive, admit your mistakes, repent…but nah, who needs those. We got condos to sell.

Since I realized how bad Mormonism is to one’s soul I have left the church and that it is almost a sure recipe for spiritual unhappiness and financial misery.

I will be retiring at 55 to spend even more time with my family and our pets. I can thank that I no longer pay tithing for that enormous blessing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pariah ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 12:19AM

Thank you, sp. Well said. You write truthfully.

This was a joy to read.

Date: January 20, 2017 07:47PM

Thanks, I appreciate it. At this point the LDS church invalidates, contradicts or waters down EVERY SINGLE things Christ taught. This is what my silly writings will be about.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 10:20AM

Excellent. Loved the way you framed it all.

I know I shouldn't have been, but I was shocked by the McMullin quote. It is truly sad that this extorted thinking truly works on so many people who might have otherwise had more valuable lives rather than valuable cars.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 10:57AM

This is a great "big picture" description of one of Mormonism's most pernicious and destructive aspects...and one that often flies under the radar while "hard" doctrinal issues dominate the discussion.

The destruction isn't limited to human beings, either. The church's emphasis on materialism and consumerism is poison for our planet. Our grandchildren will be attempting to ameliorate the effects of climate change, pollution, resource depletion, monocultures, and a host of other environmental challenges abetted by failed leadership from, among others, TSCC.

Posted by: Anonculous ( )
Date: January 20, 2017 02:25PM

Ironically, they don't seem to be the least bit concerned about avoiding the appearance of being judgemental, pharasaic, superficial, petty assholes.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 11:09AM

Great post. My favorite line:

"There is a recipe for joy in Mormonism and it starts with a white suburban and a 600k mortgage."

How true that is.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 20, 2017 03:16PM

Mormons make me think of that old prayer:

"Bless the bad people so they will be good,
and
Bless the good people so thy will be nice."

Now that we are out of the latter-day one-up cult, I have fun telling people that we bought a house in a marginal neighborhood because that's what we can pay for.

:D

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 20, 2017 03:16PM

Love your posts, SB! :)

Date: January 20, 2017 07:45PM

Thank you! (Blushing)

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: January 21, 2017 04:07PM

Oh i dont know sb...ive always felt entitled to that white suburban and big house...just never had the gall to sign the line...guess i dont trust gawd to make the payments after he promised to help me feed all those kiddies then flaked out....reality can sure be a painful pest...well that and those gawd dam bankers...here in canukistan they seem way hesitant to be swayed by bull shit stories and mlm dreams of smooth skin regardless of your stake calling...but it can be true...the bullshitters often get to the top...till the piper must be paid...that day seems to come soon enough...cash always talks...bullshit always walks...naw ill stay with the ol chevy...i gave up caring what the neighbors think a long time ago...good thing EH?...i owe not one red cent to anyone for anything...it took a while...but im patient..mostly...slow but steady and quit taking wooden nickels...great story..well said

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 01:07PM

I never lived in an area that had rich Mormons, so I can't relate to your post. Most are just getting by. They take few vacations, spend too much on food storage they'll never use, pay tithing, and fast offerings when there's no way they will ever be able to pay for their kids educations. No one ever moved up past stake president. I don't know many people who make 6 figures.

I ran into some that got in over their heads. I was one of them at one point, but not for vain reasons. We made a poor decision financially.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.