Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 10:37AM

My 2 sons are the deacons quorum in the ward. 1 is the deacons prez and the other the first counselor. So they had some stake meeting for the priesthood REQUIRING all the 'leadership' on down to the Deacons presidencies to be there.

They pulled them aside and some old codger lambasted them and their leaders, ie. the YM presidencies on how they are not passing the sacrament with the 'proper decorum' or some such nonsense and gave them a list of about 10 does and donts they 'need' to follow.

When passing the sacrament down a row, they should hand it to the person, and then immediately turn and face forward instead of watching the 'progress' of the tray. Only the priests should pass the sacrament to the deacons. No deacons should pass it to each other as they have been doing. Also specifically speaking about kids wearing tennis shoes.
Some of the kids are very low income, but god forbid they wear slacks and tennis shoes.

My son said it looked like the guy was about to pop his cork he was so agitated at all of them.

Bishop is probably in trouble too, because he has let incorrect sacrament prayers slips by are having the nervous priest try a couple of times, because he probably knows you embarrass one of these kids enough they will never return.

It was chore for the YM leader to get one of my sons to go in the first place, and then he has to go get subjected to that 'Pharisee nonsense'

My biggest concern is that the priests properly clean their hands before they 'break bread'

Teach em young and early that you will never no matter how hard you try be good enough, nor do it right, even in a simple thing like passing trays around.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 10:50AM

Those old guys just have to make people jump to underline how important they are. Bishop Jackwagon is always, always harping on hair length and ties and white shirts and how people who dress properly are better than those who don't. How they are righteous and winners, and others are losers. He's teaching dozens of anti-Christ principles, but as long as the bishop feels important.... The funny thing is that my son will not wear a tie to church now, unless he's wearing his blue shirt. He knows that it's his "get out of jail free card" and he won't have to pass the sacrament or do anything else in church.

My sister's bishop, on the other hand, lets boys with long hair or colored shirts pass the sacrament because he feels keeping the boys active is more important than "Pharisee nonsense." There really is no standard for bishops in the church - each one can define for himself if he wants to be a good guy or a Jackwagon. It all depends on where you live. If you were allowed to go wherever you wanted to, depending on the congregation and the bishop, you'd see mass exoduses, especially by the youth, of certain wards and maybe the members and bishops of those wards woud get a hint.

In the meantime, all you can do is point out how ridiculous Mormons are so that your sons can think critically about the situation and learn it's OK to ask questions and have their own opinion. Good luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2011 10:52AM by CA girl.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 10:58AM

Its all about the rules. Nothing about the message of Christ.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 11:04AM

been there, seen that.

my *favorite* was the bishop who decided that sacrament prayers had to be spoken in 'RP' (what used to be know as BBC English) with no dialect, no dropping of H's ....
yah know.... the same language Jesus spoke.

This was in an area with predominantly East London/Estuary/Cockney members.
Luckily I moved out of there soon after.....funnily enough my next bishop was a proper cockney and couldn't have spoken RP if God himself had commanded it.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 11:17AM

The first counselor in the Bishopric in my last ward made one priest cry after making the poor kid repeat the sacrament prayer so many times. I wanted to go up there and kick his ass. Fortunately, he got a lot of complaints from members of the ward and he stopped terrorizing the priests. The kid was dyslexic. He simply could not say the prayer perfectly.

If there's one thing life in the Mormon church has taught me, it's that narcissism knows no bounds in some people. Some people live for those few minutes of power they get every week over a few dozen half asleep people sitting in the pews who would rather be somewhere else.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 11:27AM

People aren't going to be willing to put up with "leaders" who are abusive jerks.

And I for one hope that all the young people see just how abusive and exploitive, demanding and unreasonable this organization is.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 11:35AM

of rules and let the kids read them. Then you'd have to follow up and see if they got it right.

This way they are sure to have listened to every word.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 11:46AM

but there is nothing like MORmON adult men being even BIGGER JERKS especially over the STUPID ASS MORmON RELIGION!

keep it up guys, run all of "your" MORmON youth off.

Posted by: dane ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 02:30PM

I think you should find out who the guy was and send him a gracious thank you note.

He just did for your boys (and you) something that will stay in their minds for the rest of their lives. And take them out of the cult too.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 02:34PM

Don't you mean all ages? This was something I put on the shelf for years--is the belittling and insane letter of the law type attitude. Temple workers were some of the worst I ever ran into. I was always reprimanded in every calling I had (even as an adult), in the temple, if I was in charge of an activity--you name it, I was berated, belittled, called on the carpet.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 02:47PM

Does anyone ever talk back to these megalomaniacal MorMon Masters of mishmosh, otherwise known as the sultans of stupidity, the poobah princes of pusillanimous prigs, the tacky tacticians of Turd Mountain?

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 03:59PM

Why do folks put up with this emotional abuse from people they wouldn't care to know outside the chapel bldg?

Possibly because they have been taught from 18 months old that unquestioning obedience to leadership is a virtue.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.