Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mole Opportunity ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 04:58AM

Please, no judging. I'm still phasing out... I have moved back to a place I lived a couple years ago. When I lived there last, I was a good friendly member that happily served in Cub Scouts and Primary. In the meantime, I learned the truth about TSCC. Long story-short -> I support my wife (kids) going to church and will only serve in the Scouts. I pay the church a few hundred dollars in membership fees a year and answer all the TR questions to keep my membership card - it's make believe for me...

Anyways, we've moved back and I am Mr. Friendly Guy at church. It's been 6 months and no call. Well, a couple Sundays ago the Stake President wanted to meet with me and my wife. He said he just wanted to get to know us. Friendly enough guy; we talked about life and kids and had a pleasant conversation. Come to find out, the Bishop's wife just thinks we are the neatest and nicest people. They are moving soon and she told me straight up on 3 different occasions she and her husband want me to be the next Bishop. The Stake Clerk has recently become friendly with me as well. We live in a very transient ward. Well, this last Sunday the Bishop's wife asked me after Sacrament about it (having been called as Bishop by the Stake President). I just chuckled. My wife knows my views and that they would be scraping the bottom of the barrel, but I know she also secretly holds out hope for me - I keep having to correct her...

This all seems so crazy to me. I've held about every calling and know the game; callings come by convenience and who people want or are told to get... I've been enjoying being Mr. Friendly Guy with no calling. I enjoy my after Sacrament walks. My first inclination have been I would have to decline any offer from the Stake President. My last ward I was able to decline my callings from the Bishop and weasel my way into Scouts, which I enjoy. I'm still trying to keep the peace. I rocked the family boat pretty hard at first, and decided it was not worth it at the time. Now, my curiosity is peaking and I'm thinking of running with it if they called me. I've thought of a million different ways to help open up people's minds, but I am probably way off base and just having crazy thoughts...

I'm sure what I just wrote is totally confusing - it's confusing to me. And I'm probably just imagining things, but it has got my mind running of the opportunity to peak further behind the curtain...

Fire away...
or just delete...

Inshallah!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pickleweed ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 05:06AM

Oh wow, it would be wonderful if as bishop you could weasel in some non LDS info here and there and get people to re-assess their faith but I guess over zealous Morms would out you as being a not very good bishop...

Still it might be worth a try

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 05:18AM

It would eat up an awful lot of your time. Don't you have better things to do? ...A life to live?

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 05:24AM

We will see just how much discernment the SP has...if you get this calling it also has to be "approved" by SLC so a further test of discernment....if you get and accept check back here. Another poster EdZachery and I will try to prepare you based on our experiences..and it ain't going to be fun.

Gatorman
9-4
14-5

Date: January 23, 2017 05:40AM

Well, if it goes back to SLC to get "approved" - I'm sure they will nix if if they do a "how much did he pay in tithing" check, or "how many times has he visited the temple recently" check...

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 07:27AM

How bad do you want to be the Bishop? If you want it…accept it and carry on. If you don’t REALLY want the calling, or are “on the fence” about accepting it, then tailor it so the calling will be beneficial MAINLY to you but also to your ward members as well.

How do you do that?? NEGOTIATE. Here is what I did -

I was pretty much on my way out of the church when I was called in and interviewed for a Stake position - - Athletic Director. I was interviewed by a Stake High Counselor who told me that Stake Prez wanted me to rebuild a Stake Athletics program that had been going downhill for years. He was expecting me to accept the calling simply based on the fact that they had asked me to do it. He was kind of stunned when I told him I needed a week to evaluate the current program, decide the changes I wished to make, and crunch some numbers (financial and time commitment).

We met the following Sunday and I presented for him a written list of demands of what it would take for me to accept the calling. Things like…all ward participants would be required to have uniforms, bringing in AND paying officials from outside of the church to officiate, each ward paying an entry fee to participate in the various sports, the Stake would pay for new athletic equipment and supplies, etc. I told him my requests were non-negotiable and if the Stake couldn’t (or wouldn’t) follow through on them, then perhaps he and the Stake Prez needed to hit their knees and ask for direction to call someone else to the position.

The High Counsel guy sat there in shock. I had basically interviewed HIM and he was speechless. I told him to get back with me one way or another. In the end, I settled with him on about 80% of what I had asked for. I ran things my way and produced a top-notch program the likes of which they had never seen before.

If I were in your shoes I would ask them to outline what they saw your time commitment would be as a Bishop. I would also ask to see the ward budget, how much tithing money and donations go out from the ward and how much is kept. After reviewing everything I would come back with demands like doubling the budget dollars of the ward and each of the auxiliary programs. Hey…you need more cash to at least throw one catered ward dinner to help establish and promote a ward “family”. Also the Relief Society, YM/YW, Elders Quorum, etc. need additional funds for their activities. I would tell the Stake Prez that you would only be available for a certain amount of hours each week so that you are not pulled away from your family and are not pulling others away from theirs. I would also mention that you would NOT turn somebody down for a temple recommend who was not a full tithe payer and you expect him to do the same with those ward members you send his way. Mention that you don’t believe Jesus charged money for his blessings. Tell him that you will venture into things of a sexual nature with the members BUT ONLY if they come to YOU about those things. You will not bring such things up during ANY interview. Really blow him away by saying that you want to ask for additional donations or fund raising from ward members to fund a pancake breakfast every couple months or so that would be focused on feeding the homeless in your area. Tell him that sounds mighty “Christ-like” to you and would be an exercise and example of charity for the members of your ward.

You could make quite a list of things and I’m sure the folks on this board could chime in with things to help you out. In the end, smile at the Stake Prez and say, “This is what it is going to take for me to accept the calling of a Bishop. If you are not willing to go there, hit your knees and ask for a “burning in your bosom” for someone else because the person you would want is not me.”

Give it a try. The worst thing they can say is “No”, and then you can go back to your life of Mr. Friendly Guy.

Good luck to you.

Posted by: windyway ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 11:57AM

DO THIS!!!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 07:33AM

Or it could be part of a nefarious program to "scare you straight." They may hope that you will pull it together, thinking (hoping??) that you will become bishop. Just when you're paying more money and attending the temple, Lucy pulls the football away, and you land on your back. At that point, you get all pissed off and quit going completely. Then they point to you and say, "He was offended. He wanted to be bishop."

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 07:39AM

Great ideas Mr Happy. Wish I had done that...will wait and see if this calling comes his way. I have some more thoughts...I still think about your MTC "ending" from time to time...one of the best I have read.

Gatorman
9-4
14-5

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 08:07AM

Wouldn't you be living a lie, straight faced, when people turn to you with their problems? For temple worthiness clearings, missions, weddings, funerals and all the rest?

If you really don't believe it, you'll be of no actual service pastorally.

I dunno, but you should probably sit this one out because that just sounds totally brazen to me. Even if the church is not true, perpetuating a lie to win brownie points with them or your wife, is not the honorable thing to do.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 08:32AM

It seems to me he'd make a fine bishop. No beam in the eye means he can take out motes. Who knows? A little mass apostasy might be good for the ward.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 08:44AM

Huge time commitment, not to mention constantly having to pretend, even if you do throw out hints of truth to them.

I would be surprised if they call a guy as bishop who has been skipping out after sacrament meeting, but maybe it's a way to get you to stay? Or could be a calling as counselor.

Your wife would probably love it and see it as you getting your testimony back.

I see it as something that would be extremely difficult to keep up, I think bishops are expected to serve for 5 years.

Let us know what you decide, and how it turns out.

Posted by: steele ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 09:05AM

A NOM/unbelieving bishop would probably be one of the best things to happen to any ward. Someone that actually "gets it" and sees life and Mormonism as they really are would set a more relaxed tone.

The time demands could be painful but you could probably cut back on that too. The other leaders in the ward would likely appreciate a less strict, less demanding bishop. Fewer pointless leadership meetings.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 09:55AM

And you'd be the first non-believing Bishop in the history of TSCC, right?

Actually, I think there will have been many, many more down through the years.

Posted by: TXRancher ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 10:15AM

I like a lot of suggestions made by posters. My own suggestion, based on what I've read so far, is somewhere in the middle:

I don't think you really want to be bishop. And even if you did get called and accept it, you would hate it for so many reasons. I would plan for it to _not_ happen.

But I also sense that you don't want to rock the boat too much. So I'd ask a lot of questions about finances, time commitment, etc., just as other posters have suggested, but I would not set any minimum requirements with the stake president.

Once you obtain the information and receive answers to the multitude of questions (I like one of the other poster's idea to "interview" the stake president) then at least you'll satisfy some of your curiosity and make them work to be transparent with you. I'd still doubt some of the things they tell you, like time commitment, because there are a WHOLE heck of a lot of meetings and trainings to attend.

Then, tell the stake president that--based on the information provided--you will not accept the calling...that you do not believe you could be an effective judge in Israel given these limitations/constraints/requirements/etc. And that your family comes first at this point in your life.

He will undoubtedly ask you to reconsider and tell you that you'll be blessed, blah, blah, blah. Just smile and tell him that you prayed about it and received an answer already.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 10:27AM

And make sure you ask "what's in it for me?" Ask about benefits, extra income for you and the finance clerk, things like that. Ask, "Can I have parents in my office with me when I'm interviewing adolescents?" Because, of course, a real bishop wouldn't want the parents there, because the parents might notice when you begin cross boundaries when asking the kids questions. So many things to consider. But doing it without financial benefit is just wrong.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 11:23AM

Dude, fuckin-A! You'd probably be a great bishop and have a lot of compassion. Of course, the other posters are right about the bullshit aspect of the job. But, if you do accept the calling, let me be the first to congratulate you! Here's a list of suggestions--

1. Don't be a hard ass, give temple recommends to anyone who wants one, especially for inactive parents who want to see their kids get married.

2. Teach the kids that masturbation is normal and healthy and no one in the church should ask them about it or give them grief about something so enjoyable.

3. Tithing is paid on the increase. Most families struggle financially, tell them to tithe on their increase after paying their bills.

4. Encourage ward members to "come as they are" to church. Ditch the long dresses and suits wardrobe.

5. Do something with the music. Consider a volunteer praise band.

6. Remember that the Word of Wisdom is a recommendation, not by constraint or commandment.

7. Find a Gospel Doctrine teacher who is an existentialist. Folks should come away from Sunday School thinking about their existence in a chaotic, random world.

You'll do just find.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2017 11:29AM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 11:36AM

Any bishops I remember from my days as a TBM, spent inordinate hours away from home tending to church matters.

It would suck the life out of any believing TBM. Not sure if that's even what you'd want for your schedule, assuming you took the calling to be an inside mole.

Your time would not be your own, unless you were shirking your responsibilities - for which is all strictly voluntary.

Blech.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 12:55PM

You would lose your time, talents, and authenticity. You family would lose their father. The mormon TBMs would not benefit from your wisdom because your lips would have to sealed to the truth.

Posted by: logged out ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 01:45PM

IF you accept (big big IF), be sure you do it on YOUR terms. Make an effort to "price yourself out of the market" with your non-negotiable demands. "I'm not asking for permission, this is what I intend to do. Take it or leave it." They will most likely reject your conditions, at which you can breathe a sigh of relief.

Suggested items:

1. No sex questions to minors, ever. Parents are encouraged to attend all interviews.

2. Non-LDS music permitted in meetings. Bring back Handel and Bach!

3. White shirts no longer required. Multiple earrings allowed.

4. YW get the same budget as the scouts.

5. Gospel Doctrine, EQ, etc will include the church essays and other non-correlated material.

6. No more stalking of inactives.

You get the idea. No way the stake leadership will agree to it.

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 01:50PM

Mole Opportunity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I've thought of a
> million different ways to help open up people's
> minds,

it has got my mind running
> of the opportunity to peak further behind the
> curtain...
>

DOOOO IIIIT!!!!

You can always give up the calling if the plan isn't working.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 03:18PM

If you have children that attend then the answer is flat out NO.

The children should come first. The last thing they need is a non-believing Father to accept the position of Bishop thereby telegraphing to them that you are in all out support of the church.

As far as my input goes the answer is no amount of rationalization is worth the value of the lives of your children not being free from the ten thousand mind screws in Mormonism.

Do not add another lie upon lie.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 01:51PM

excellent advice not to forget

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 03:27PM

I might pretend to be dumb and agree to do it for a mere extra $100K/year stipend, which is a bargain compared to the GAs, since you wouldn't even be asking for free housing.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 04:01PM

I'd be tempted to accept the thing and then pick and choose what I'm going to do. Don't want to attend 4 hours of meetings every single night after work? Delegate, delegate, delegate. Or just refuse to do the work. Or just don't attend/preside/whatever. Do whatever you want. Knock off the worthiness interviews. Be the change you want to see in the church.

You'll either rock their little worlds or they will release you so fast, you won't even know what hit you. Either way, you win.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 04:36PM

Double what you may think the time commitment is...which is a massive amount anyway..like a 2nd 30-40 hour per week job. Count on 12 hours on Sunday, 5 on Saturday, and two week nights of 3-4 hours, plus scout camp/girls camp, etc. Plus you'll have ward members using you for their own personal therapy needs.

The hard aspect will be the pretending...you'll be required to bear a heartfelt testimony on a continual basis. Course if your ward stats are down, you'll be reprimanded by the SP and his henchmen.

Don't do it...no brainer.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 05:10PM

Exmoron Wrote:
> Double what you may think the time commitment
> is...which is a massive amount anyway..like a 2nd
> 30-40 hour per week job. Count on 12 hours on
> Sunday, 5 on Saturday, and two week nights of 3-4
> hours, plus scout camp/girls camp, etc. Plus
> you'll have ward members using you for their own
> personal therapy needs.
>
> The hard aspect will be the pretending...you'll be
> required to bear a heartfelt testimony on a
> continual basis. Course if your ward stats are
> down, you'll be reprimanded by the SP and his
> henchmen.
>
> Don't do it...no brainer.

^^^^^This.
It takes you away from your family, etc. Why would you ask that kind of sacrifice from your family if you don't believe.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 09:20PM

As a selfish, popcorn eating outsider who would love to watch a mole destroy TSCC from the inside, I would say don't accept the calling.

The seemingly all powerful position of bishop is just a pawn to TSCC, another mark in their con. You wouldn't have access to potentially damaging information. You wouldn't have authority to make meaningful changes. The sheep won't follow you out of the fold. The small things that you would be able to achieve are not worth the time and effort.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 09:41PM

Wow, think of all the good you could do. A kid comes to you
and is feeling anxious and a bit negative about going on a
mission? Point out to him that a mission is not for everyone.

Someone comes to complain that their spouse doesn't believe?
Read I Cor. 7:13-14 about how you're supposed to stay in the
marriage with an unbelieving spouse.

Priesthood advancement youth interviews? Make no mention
whatsoever of "sexual purity," or masturbation. As them if
they are charitable, considerate, and tolerant towards others
(something Jesus mentioned, IIRC).

Someone comes complaining that they've lost their testimony and
are considering leaving the Church? Tell them that we all must
find our way in life and to do what goes against your
conscience is not a good thing. Read them some GA's talk where
they quote from Hamlet, "this above all, to thine own self be
true . . . "

The purpose of a bishop is to be the Morg's representative who
always looks out for the Morg and not the people. Being a
bishop who looked out for the people and not the Morg would be
awesome.

TREMENDOUS opportunity to do good.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 09:43PM

baura Wrote:
> TREMENDOUS opportunity to do good.

For the morg.

That would just be being a good person.

Date: January 23, 2017 09:42PM

Bishop is actual the pawn in Mormon chess. Less that that doesn't even make in onto the board.

Date: January 23, 2017 09:46PM

If anyone seriously thinks being a secret exmo bishop is a good idea I refer them to Robert Kirby. The man only has a testimony left because he only does what leaders he respects ask him to do.

I'm sure the testimony of thousands of Mormons hangs upon the leadership of people like Tom Phillips probably was.

They are good people doing bad people's bidding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2017 09:46PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 10:07PM

"In which the Angel Moroni appeared to me and told me to decline the calling because it is too close to the Millenium. We must all prepare to walk to Missouri and practice the true order of Marriage."

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 11:30PM

Your post sounds like a friend of mine from back in the day. I'm fully out of LDS, Inc. but remember you saying you had your doubts. Any chance your initials are S.B.?

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: January 24, 2017 01:26AM

Don't do it for all the reasons previously stated AND for your HEALTH. How many bishops have I known that got seriously ill from this stupid, mind numbing, time stealing, family destroying calling?
It's not mere coincidence !!

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 24, 2017 10:39AM

If that's your M.O., what's holding you back? Good thing you aren't a woman!

Um, bishops wives don't call. You do. I see a confused mahn here. Did you ask your wife? NOPE.

(Simpson's Homer: "dope"!) You? Drowning in unbelief, and confusion.

Posted by: Healed ( )
Date: January 24, 2017 07:34PM

Becoming a congregational pastor under false pretenses is neither genuine or honest. The fact the church you would represent is neither genuine or honest, is not an excuse to follow suit!

Posted by: Kathleen nli ( )
Date: January 24, 2017 07:47PM

If a father of six sat down at your desk in his sawdust-covered work clothes and counted out his tithing money, could you take it?

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 25, 2017 07:04PM

You are also being considered for reality... for a much smaller cost! FREE... vs. paying over 2,000 hours a year (+$$) AWAY FROM YOUR FAMILY, HOBBIES, INTERESTS, etc., but including bringing your(fake) work [garbage] home with you. Yukkk!

Posted by: Pariah ( )
Date: January 24, 2017 08:15PM

Being "Mr. Friendly Guy" at church is doing you harm. You have obviously compromised your integrity. Perhaps your phony personality is the only thing that would qualify you to be bishop.

The fact that you would choose power, instead of choosing to spend more time with your family, speaks volumes.

You are fooling only yourself. I can see from way out here, that your motive is not to save souls. If that were your motive, you would have saved your wife and children from an evil cult--and you would have done this a long time ago.

What kind of example are you setting for your children?

Posted by: Thomas $. Monson ( )
Date: January 25, 2017 02:42PM

Mole Opportunity Wrote:

>
> Anyways, we've moved back and I am Mr. Friendly
> Guy at church. It's been 6 months and no call.
> Well, a couple Sundays ago the Stake President
> wanted to meet with me and my wife. He said he
> just wanted to get to know us. Friendly enough
> guy; we talked about life and kids and had a
> pleasant conversation. Come to find out, the
> Bishop's wife just thinks we are the neatest and
> nicest people. They are moving soon and she told
> me straight up on 3 different occasions she and
> her husband want me to be the next Bishop. The
> Stake Clerk has recently become friendly with me
> as well. We live in a very transient ward. Well,
> this last Sunday the Bishop's wife asked me after
> Sacrament about it (having been called as Bishop
> by the Stake President).

It's a way to trap you into the cult.

I was called as branch president. A "revelation" from the "spirit".
I left the Mormon church two weeks later.

Posted by: Ericka ( )
Date: January 25, 2017 04:52PM

If I were bishop:

I would give everyone, including the kids a temple recommend without ever meeting with anyone.

I would cut the Sunday meetings down to one hour.

I would sit in the pews with my family and tell my counselors they could do the same if they wanted. I would let my wife sit on the stand if she wanted to, while I watched the kids.

I would hire a janitor.

I would tell everyone they could donate whatever amount they wanted, after all, they would already have a recommend.

No more interviews unless someone wants to meet with you.

I would let people determine if they wanted to speak, and let them choose the topic.

I would encourage REAL service to the community.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: January 25, 2017 08:57PM

You would be released VERY quickly.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: January 25, 2017 06:41PM

Could you be a Benedict Arnold and tell the truth? If so, you may help some but you won't last long.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 26, 2017 01:53PM

Considered?

That's life (and a waste thereof)!

Is "friendly guy" (also) make believe?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 26, 2017 01:58PM

My ex was ex. sec. and he is also the friendly guy! People love him. He was cheating on me with men and I knew, but I wasn't going back to the leaders about this subject ever again, so we were just waiting for him to be released when the bishop was released.

My ex kept telling me the bishop wanted to talk to me. I kept refusing. I finally went in and the bishop told me that my ex would be either the next bishop or the bishop following that. I immediately went inactive knowing he would never be called if his wife was inactive and my ex went inactive as soon as he was released.

He lives here with me again now as roommates. The people in the ward still have a tough time of not being his "best friend." All the women stop to talk to him all the time. I guess their husbands consider him safe. ha ha ha We get a big kick out of how we live now. Actually, the mormons treat me better as an ex as they did as an active mormon. I was treated better while active when "married" to my ex than any time in my life.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: January 26, 2017 04:57PM

Shortly after my wife and I left the church, around 17-18 years ago, we were at a family gathering. One of my nieces, who is the daughter of my most Nazi-TBM sister, wanted to talk to me privately about the church. She related a hilarious experience. She and her hubby, who's a level-headed CPA, were social Mormons, though active. One Sunday morning, the stake president called them and asked them to come to church early. Niece & hubby were terrified. They had gone out to celebrate their anniversary the night before, and had gotten a little tipsy. She was afraid that some church members had seen them drinking and had reported them to the SP.

When they sat down with the SP, he asked her hubby to be the branch president! They were relieved and shocked---relieved that nobody had seen them drinking, but shocked that the SP thought that her hubby was the best guy in the branch to become the BP. He accepted the job and served as the BP for a few months. But as he related to me, there were so many nutjobs in the branch that he told the SP that he would quit as BP unless the SP provided a psychiatrist that he could call to counsel the wacko members. Such is the life of a Mormon bishop/BP.

Also, after we resigned from the church, the current bishop and SP were so nutty and incompetent that our friend across the street lamented to me that our ward would have been better off if *I* had been the bishop. She thought more of me, the apostate, than she did the bishop who had been promoted to SP.

Posted by: Mole Opportunity ( ) ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 09:00AM

Been Bishop for a few months now. Biggest surprise was reviewing the Financial Records; very very few pay 10% Tithing. Former Bishop was making $150K+ a year; paid just over $3K. One of the counselors I picked paid nothing last year (I heard he was "struggling"). Many many members with Temple Recommends pay very little tithing. There are also a bunch that pay the full 10% - Holy Cow! We are a "strong" and "rich" ward and most the money we get in, gets transferred back to HQ. In all honestly, it's pretty easy to steer clear of "Restored Truths." It's more like running a company. I realize haters going to hate, but if you have any peak behind the curtain questions, shoot.

Posted by: Inky ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 09:10AM

How interesting! Please start a new thread to let everyone know you are a current bishop and to tell us some more about your insight and other insider information.

Date: June 01, 2017 09:26AM

Okay, new screen name will be Blot.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 09:25AM

Wow. I thought few actually paid a "full" tithing. It is too difficult to pay this extortion raising a family and paying bills with an average income, especially in a high cost area. Please start a new thread on what you are learning.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 12:42PM

- Was your counselor "struggling" financially, or with his faith?

- How do you get on with your various clerks? (It's my experience that the first breakdown in LDS faith seems to begin when one is or becomes a clerk. Couldn't say why. I've seen it now in three units. In the ward where I was finance clerk, I was talking to the other two guys, and it turned out that NONE of us believed in the church. One of them has also left, the other remains due to his wife.)

- No one should pay full 10% gross, no one. That is a rule that has changed in my lifetime, from paying on one's "increase," to the church demanding that you pay on gross income. Even if the one bishop makes $150,000 per year, $3,000 is a lot of money to pay to an organization that supports no charities and is financially dodgy.

- How much money do you get back once you have submitted all the "offerings?"

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 10:16AM

How many times have I heard this line.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 11:20AM

Shalom alechem and hail Satan.

First, think of your marriage.
Ask your wife what she would want you to do, then do it as best you can.
If it fails, it should be clearly not your fault but TSCC's fault.
She will appreciate your efforts but not your sabotage.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 01:22PM

Go for it. Be laid back. Help the kids not be so hard on themselves. Help the members chill. Give people who are doing the best they can do a TR, whether they're at 10% or not. Encourage them to read and teach from the essays and discuss them at length. When someone comes to you because they are questioning, don't discourage them. There are a bazillion ways you can do good in people's lives.

Posted by: Pariah ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 01:56PM

Mole opportunity, you are RIGHT.

"I am probably way off base and just having crazy thoughts...."

Now, be honest. What is your REAL motive for becoming a bishop?
Will it help your business?
Will it feed your ego?
Do you seek power?
Do you want to chase women?

If you are into people as much as you say you are, Mr. Friendly, you would know that there is very little you could do to help the Mormons from the inside. They will lynch you, immediately.

Posted by: helenm ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 03:07PM

"My wife knows my views and that they would be scraping the bottom of the barrel, but I know she also secretly holds out hope for me - I keep having to correct her..."

Mole Opportunity, you mean your DW actually knows what you really think about LD$ Inc.? Well, then, you are one fortunate guy. Most men's wives leave them.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 03:49PM

Just as I started my very serious phase of questioning things, I got called as first counselor in the Elder's Quorum Presidency. So much for the power of inspiration!

Oh well.

Being bishop is a huge time suck. And that time could be better spent coming to terms with the fact that the LDS Church is less than advertised, and figuring out what you want to do with your post-Mormonism life.

It's a long steep hill, but the grass is generally greener on the other side of it.

BTW - There's not much behind the curtain--certainly not enough to justify doing it. There are plenty of former Bishops who have left Mormonism with interesting stories (Ken Clark, Bob McCue come to mind). You can read their stuff. The handbook is available online. I was a branch president on my mission--it just sucks. Spare yourself!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2017 03:52PM by snowball.

Posted by: an exmo ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 03:50PM

You will never regret saying "no" because if you were to say "yes" then they'd expect you to tow the line in sucking the Ward and all affiliated with it into the fold. I was in your shoes 16.5 years ago where in a Ward council meeting people openly named me as who they thought would be made Bishop. Well I have never had any regrets for proactively letting the Stake leadership know that I was unavailable and that my reasons were between me/God. It helped me grow a backbone and establish a pattern of real freedom for me in my life.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 03:56PM

If you understand are willing, I all for you accepting being Bishop!

I think the greatest threat to the LDS church is from ex-Mormons and more particularly those that are still in. You subtlety create a LOT of free thinking and open-minded Mormons in your ward and stake. You could subtlety educate and direct many Mormons to t he truth and help many out of the church.

You could also make the lives of these members much better than one who is a believing bishop. You'd be in charge (besides the occasional harassment from the Stake leaders). You can cut out the bullshit and run things how you want.

I guarantee the members would love and respect you as bishop.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 04:12PM

Don't do it. Your brain will explode due to the massive contradictions in your head. Integrity and truth don't matter to Trump, but it does to mature adults.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2017 04:13PM by perky.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 04:12PM

Your first order of business is to get us a copy of the handbook.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.