Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: itwasnotme ( )
Date: February 05, 2017 01:09PM

A topic was posted and removed. It was about genetic disease within closed communities. It is the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints (FLDS), NOT the LDS. Members of the FLDS have married within a very small gene pool for generations and doctors have traced the defected gene back to one of the founding families. Intermarriage has spread the genetic defect and fumarase deficiency is now prevalent in the FLDS. There were only 9 known cases in the world until it began to appear in the FLDS community. I've read quite a bit about the FLDS and by all accounts the children receive the specialized medical treatment from experienced doctors. The children are well-cared for at home by multiple wives. Private detective and ex-LDS Mormon Sam Brower spent seven years investigating the FLDS and talks about this tragedy in his book Prophet's Prey. He was instrumental in the conviction of Warren Jeffs. From prison, Jeffs has essentially banned sexual intercourse and very few children are being born which means fewer cases.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 05, 2017 01:20PM

They often never develop any ability to speak, recognize family or gain the ability to feed or care for their toilet needs. They typically live their lives in a crib and die before their third or fourth birthdays if they live that long.

There a few cases of this inherited condition in Pakistan I think and the rest are in the FLDS plyg group.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: February 05, 2017 01:24PM

And how do the FLDS rationalize this? Or maybe I don't want to know. But since they are the true example of LDS and original revelation from JS, they should experience the greatest blessings, according to their beliefs.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: February 05, 2017 01:54PM

carameldreams Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And how do the FLDS rationalize this? Or maybe I
> don't want to know. But since they are the true
> example of LDS and original revelation from JS,
> they should experience the greatest blessings,
> according to their beliefs.

Simple - the most righteous just need a body to become gods and since they die as children, Satan cannot temp them.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 05, 2017 02:41PM

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 05, 2017 02:46PM

FLDS women often (ceremoniously) smother those infants so that they will come back in a healthy body.

Read up on Flora Jessop.

Date: February 05, 2017 03:17PM

My mistake. The original post wasn't deleted. I was looking for it on the wrong board. The topic was posted under Deconstructing Mormon.

Date: February 05, 2017 04:06PM

I have read about the infanticide. The decision isn't always made by the parents. Everyone is a victim here expect for Warren Jeffs. At least doctors are there to help and conducts research.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.