Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: LifeFromANewView ( )
Date: February 05, 2017 10:13PM

Does anyone know of a coffee maker I could hide easily?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: February 05, 2017 10:15PM

Why hide it?

I have a four-cup Mr Coffee that is easily put away if that is what you are thinking/needing. One pot (four cups) is basically one travel mug of coffee

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: February 05, 2017 10:32PM

I've used a 4-cup Mr Coffee for YEARS and it does the job just fine. I've tried some of the methods the connoisseurs seem to favor, but always just go back to my 4-cup Mr coffee. They have smaller 4-cup filters for them too. You could certainly find an easy hidey-hole for it.

Date: February 05, 2017 10:45PM

seekyr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've used a 4-cup Mr Coffee for YEARS and it does
> the job just fine. I've tried some of the methods
> the connoisseurs seem to favor, but always just go
> back to my 4-cup Mr coffee. They have smaller
> 4-cup filters for them too. You could certainly
> find an easy hidey-hole for it.

I love mine. It's perfect, and very compact. I've had it for YEARS

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: February 05, 2017 10:18PM

The Keurig 2.0 is slim and hideable.

But you must have other concerns: storage of paraphernalia, the sounds a brewer (of any kind) makes, disposal of used grounds/k-cups. Where will you keep your stash?

That's a hassle right there. Are you bringing your trash off-site every time you make coffee? How can you hide the scent?

Hiding a vodka bottle is easier than the process of coffee making.

Date: February 05, 2017 10:21PM

I hide the trash in the bottom of the trash can where she physically can't reach it(due to movement issues) and won't. As far as finding anything things she doesn't go through my personal effects, we've had some interesting talks about snooping through my items.

Posted by: cognitivedissonance ( )
Date: February 06, 2017 03:14PM

My brew station is in my shop. One day my wife came out to chat and left rather suddenly. That night we had a come to jebus meeting. She smelled the brew.

It's been a couple of years now and she is more accepting but still cries about my apostasy.

It's getting better.

Date: February 05, 2017 10:19PM

I still live with my TBM mother its a nightmare...

Date: February 05, 2017 10:27PM

Does she smell it brewing??? Coffee has a very distinct scent

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: February 05, 2017 10:27PM

I'm so sorry. One day, you will be happily in your own place, brewing whatever you like.

Until then: you can get micro-brews (aka what used to be called, 'instant') that mix with hot water. It doesn't have the same ritual and joy that I find in coffee making but it can be pretty good. The General Foods Instant Coffees are mostly sugar but those are hideable. Single brews (filter over a dedicated cup) are an option also.

On another thread, people are recommending French Presses. That could be really good for you! You've got your trash figured out, you must have a workable system for purchasing and storing your coffee. And French Presses are wonderful for taste!

Posted by: Rameumptom ( )
Date: February 05, 2017 10:31PM

Starbucks instant is decent. It's what I drink when visiting TBM relatives. It comes in single serve packets. Just add hot water. The wrapper is easy to keep in your pocket or wallet to dispose of out of the house.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 05, 2017 10:53PM

A Melitta (glass pot and filter holder) that uses boiling water (from a kettle) would be easy to hide in a cupboard. No cord to worry about and makes great coffee too.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 05, 2017 10:56PM

We have managed to destroy many coffee making entities in the past, so what we do is simply boil water in a cooking pan and pour it through a Trader Joe's filter into a nondescript pot.

Sneaky.

But you can't hide that smell.....mmmmmm........

Posted by: focidave ( )
Date: February 06, 2017 09:22AM

When I was living in my parents' basement, instant coffee let me coffee every day. I think it doesn't create as much of a smell, and all the evidence gets dissolved. It may not taste as well, but if you add milk or creamer, it'll work.

We have a Mr. Coffee 4-cup right now, which is pretty small. I would say look for the smallest one you can find at Target; it'll be easy to hide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2017 09:22AM by focidave.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 06, 2017 10:25AM

1. A one-cup pour-over funnel and no. 2 filters, very cheap, very easy. Take it camping.

2. A 1-cup French press (almost always available at TJ Maxx).

3. An Aerobie Aeropress. Makes good coffee very fast. About $25 or so.

Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: February 06, 2017 03:05PM

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: February 06, 2017 11:31AM

Just leave it out...the shit blows over..folks get used to sinner you...like forgetting to remove your browser history...sooner or later itll sneak out...its often better to just fess up than get found out...trust is less damaged..imo...but i still delete browser history cuz my mo buddy likes to check what i been reading..his head might explode if he saw rfm on there...im not sure hes ready for strong apostacy...i value his friendship more than the truth i guess...see i just admitted hypocrisy...see how easy that was...get thine self a keurig...i dont like em but they are handy...your just a rank amateur if you can stop at one cup..unless its a 64 oz go cup

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 06, 2017 11:41AM

1. Buy a jar of Postum and a can of fresh coffee.

2. Empty out Postum, and refill with fresh coffee roast.

3. Have French Aeropress on standby to make your coffee. It's electric free, handheld, and portable. You can hide it anywhere.

4. Tell your mom your drinking Postum, when she asks what's that smell. Then show her the Postum jar, and ask her if she'd like you to make her a cup?

5. Enjoy.

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: February 06, 2017 12:08PM

A suitcase is a good place to stash you coffee maker and supplies. I always put my coffee grounds and filter down the garbage disposal. I've never had a problem with that, been doing it for years. Also, if you don't want the smell of coffee in the house, put your coffee maker under the kitchen exhaust fan while making it. Just don't turn any burners on while doing that. A melted coffee maker would be a mess.

Posted by: kvothe ( )
Date: February 06, 2017 12:11PM

Or you could just be who you are and stop hiding.

A coffee maker is not exactly a meth lab...

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 06, 2017 12:22PM

Posted by: Allie ( )
Date: February 06, 2017 12:12PM

I have been looking at coffemakers, and I have my eye on a travel size french press. Its little enough for easy hiding and doesnt have the appearance of a coffeemaker. And you can use it for tea and iced dribks too!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NONDBXI/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1486401097&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=travel+french+press&dpPl=1&dpID=41xeXZE1kHL&ref=plSrch

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: February 06, 2017 12:31PM

Also, my mother used to make coffee with those little coffee pods that you can buy in the grocery store. They're like tea bags, only filled with ground coffee. Each pod makes one cup of coffee. No pot or other equipment needed.

I've never tried the coffee, as I can't drink it for medical reasons (major bummer, after a life of drinking coffee every day, the stronger the better...). However, according to my mother, it tastes better than a lot of drip coffee.

Then, all that you'll have to hide is the coffee and used pods.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 06, 2017 12:35PM

If it must be hid, put a small coffee maker, coffee, etc. in an unmarked box and put it in the garage or a high shelf in a closet.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: February 06, 2017 01:32PM

A couple of ideas:

Use a French press. Someone without experience might not even know it's a coffee maker. A lot of people prefer the taste.

Use instant coffee. I know, it's not the same as brewed. But my favorite drink is instant Folgers in high quality hot chocolate. It's super easy to make: just heat up a cup of water in the microwave, add about 2/3 of a the hot chocolate for a regular cup. Then dump in a heaping teaspoon of instant coffee. There is very little coffee smell, it's super quick and easy, and the only cleanup is to put your cup in the dishwasher.

You might also consider some of the instant coffees from Starbucks.

Some TBMs get Keurig machines to make hot chocolate. You could buy one, for "hot chocolate", and then have a private stash of coffee.

You might also like Thai coffee: Buy concentrated brewed coffee. I've gotten it at Trader Joe's. (hmm . . . where to hide that? Mini fridge?). Pour over ice and add sweetened condensed milk. Super good.

Good luck!

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: February 06, 2017 01:48PM

Date: February 06, 2017 02:41PM

Sorry I would be open about it if I could but I'm in a rather...tight and uncomfortable situation. You don't always get the freedom to do as you want. By the end of the year it hopefully won't be a problem, but for now it is and my insomnia demands a means of staying awake at times.

Posted by: Never Mo but raised Fundie ( )
Date: February 06, 2017 03:11PM

try caffeine pills

Date: February 06, 2017 03:21PM

lifefromanewview Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry I would be open about it if I could but I'm
> in a rather...tight and uncomfortable situation.
> You don't always get the freedom to do as you
> want. By the end of the year it hopefully won't be
> a problem, but for now it is and my insomnia
> demands a means of staying awake at times.

Wouldn't having insomnia mean you would want to avoid caffeine??

Posted by: nbhabrlrcr ( )
Date: February 06, 2017 02:42PM

When I lived at home, I simply asked my TBM mom if she cared that I had coffee.

I suppose I should have considered myself lucky every morning over my brew.

It's easier to just ask than to hide it, imho.

Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: February 06, 2017 02:58PM

Yes there is a French press the height of the length of my hand <which is smaller than my husbands> . You place coffee grounds in the bottom of the container' pour hot water into it' stir wait then press.

There is also a plastic thing that looks like a wide mouth jar canning funnel with open scoop that rests on a mug . You place a paper filter in it and pour hot water directly into it.

I have a tiny expresso maker as well. Again grounds in one compartment then add water and heat. This isn't my favorite. You can explore strength or weakness of coffee by changing amount yadded to both French press and pour over.

The first two need a water kettle or microwave
For hot water...you could useven an electric
Water kettle if you don't have access to a stove.

Another thing you could do... is place kuerig pod
OR packet making one serving machine size machine inside a cabinet or closet with a counter. Just add water plug in. Or you can use low tech more simple French press or pour over Next to your water kettle. It's your take care of yourself space.

You could also include a variety of teas stored
in anew outdatEd purse or carryon or computer bag but be full of comfort... tea blends mixes. Tuck in on the counter or in a drawer. "That's mine"

Comfort to you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2017 03:04PM by paintinginthewin.

Posted by: cognitivedissonance ( )
Date: February 06, 2017 03:01PM

Cold Brew.

No smell, no pots, no hot water.

cold water, coffee grounds, container.

5 parts water.
1 part coffee grounds.
Mix, brew in refrigerator for 17 - 24 hours.

Filter brew and store in refrigerator for up to a week.

Many examples on youtube.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: February 06, 2017 03:20PM

My wife can't stand the taste of coffee, so the WoW is not a big sacrifice for her, but she does love the smell. She has surprised me a number of mornings with a fresh-brewed pot waiting for me after my shower.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2017 03:20PM by GregS.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: February 06, 2017 03:45PM

Visiting home was traumatic, and giving up the pleasures of coffee brewing was the least of the sacrifices I had to make, to keep my TBM parents and abusive TBM brothers and my ex-Mormon children happy. I was in a situation that offered me no privacy, and my mother was always in the kitchen.

Yet, I needed the caffeine, more than ever! I made those smallest-sized baggies of instant coffee and Carnation instant dried milk (I had to have milk). You could add measured dried creamer, sugar, dry cocoa mix, or anything you want. Luckily, my parents kept the hot water heater turned up to max, so I could mix this right out of the faucet. I packed a metal cup and spoon, too. Quick and fast and odorless. I would gulp it down in the bathroom with the fan on, and spray scent around, afterwards. Yeah, it was not as fun, but It was only a week or so.

My uncle would just take caffeine pills.

If you need caffeine, wouldn't a diet cola do the same thing?

When we were TBM, I would need coffee to get through Sundays, and I just told everyone it was decaf. I would empty the decaf around the yard--it makes a great snail and slug repellant--use the decaf can or package to store the real coffee. I'd keep refilling the decaf container, over and over.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.