Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: February 08, 2017 05:59PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 08, 2017 06:39PM

Just don't mess with the banjo classes.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: February 08, 2017 08:23PM

It's really too bad that we have a sue happy society these days. If public ed taught a little Koran, I'm sure that would be enlightening for everyone. When I went to High School half the curriculum in World History was out of the Bible. We spent a lot of time with Moses, Cecil B. Demile version, and of course Ben Hur (because there is just so much history to learn out of Hollywood, lol!).

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 09, 2017 02:02PM

"This truly was the Son of God." ...the centurion, cameo by John Wayne

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 08, 2017 08:30PM

The law is *very* clear. You can teach about religion, but you can not proselytize. This school district has apparently crossed the line.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: February 08, 2017 08:41PM

When a child is being bullied because she opts out of the Bible Class then the school district should cease and desist from teaching The Bible. They have crossed the of separation of church and state.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 08, 2017 09:00PM

saviorself Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When a child is being bullied because she opts out
> of the Bible Class then the school district should
> cease and desist from teaching The Bible. They
> have crossed the of separation of church and
> state.

They should "cease and desist" even if nobody's being bullied. But in this case...

“They taunted her about it. They told her that she was going to hell, that I was going to hell, that her father was going to hell...”

What lovely examples of christian love.

Oh, and poopstone -- the bible isn't history. :)

Posted by: rrrright ( )
Date: February 08, 2017 11:10PM

I wonder how eager thumpers would be to learn and teach the actual history of the bible and Christianity, not its teachings.

"Okay, kids, there was this group of enslaved people..."

"So, about ninety years after Jesus was given the death penalty for his insurrection against..."

"...and don't forget we're having a quiz on the Second Crusades this Friday!"

"No, Billy. You don't have to believe any of it if you don't want to."

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 08, 2017 11:31PM

No damn Bible studies is the answer. It's a religious text.

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: February 08, 2017 11:56PM

When I went to school in the South, we actually had prayers in some places, the sports teams had their own pastor, and they had prayer breakfasts.

Yes, I know, you better not call me old though.

What is interesting, is in High School, for around a quarter, we actually were taught Islam and the Koran. We learned about the seven Pillars, Islamic prayer, and history.

I wonder if that would be allowed today as well?

I know the prayer part is right out, and no longer allowed.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 09, 2017 05:21AM

Yes, it's allowed. Public schools can teach factual information about religions such as their philosophies, beliefs, founders, holidays, etc. For instance, I took a world religions class in high school. Public schools are *not* allowed to proselytize, i.e. "Jesus Christ came to save YOU," etc. I believe that the Bible can also be taught as literature (most likely in a high school class,) but again, no proselytizing.

You will notice that public school holiday programs will cover a number of religious holidays so as not to appear to be promoting any one religion.

Posted by: FallenCountryManoevers ( )
Date: February 09, 2017 02:07AM

For certain reasons. this civilization would actually be better off without the Bible- however, if a special chapter were added, then it would be good to have, as an artifact.
Such as chapter could explain about The Orion Confederation, one of which ranks appeared on the Mount to Moses; that God did not ever command the Israelites to go through villages and slaughter mercilessly the "wicked" inhabitants, but a negative Orion being; that there was nothing so special about those ancient jews, except they were stronger and more intelligent- targeted by a supernatural agency, relatedly, to become sort of like a religious fascist corps; that their genes had a peculiar twist; That the term "Only Begotten Son Of God" is not a correct title for Jesus; that the writers were writing for a people of a different Age, etc....

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 09, 2017 12:56PM

Thanks for the excellent example of why schools should stick to non-religious facts, and eschew "beliefs" of all kinds. :)

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: February 09, 2017 03:08PM

About seminary, the same may be said, and should be done!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.