Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 12:32AM

I was listening to a John Dehlin podcast today from 2007 (about 10 years ago). His guest was Grant Palmer. One of the things that caught my ear was the estimate during the past year (2007) an estimated 100,000 members had resigned their membership from the church. Greg Dodge had increased his group from five to ten people to handle all the resignations.

Ten years ago was before the church did their public exing of Kate Kelly and others. Then there was their politics against gays (prop 8 in California) and of course the war on children (children of gays are apostates not worthy of membership or baptism).

100,000 resignations per year times 10 is one million resignations. Add in all those who also resigned because of the church's war on children and war on women, gays the amount of people the church could have lost can easily be over one million people in the last 10 years. Maybe more.

Do you think it is less or more?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 12:39AM

Do you suppose Greg Dodge's team has been instructed to read only name, rank, and serial number of resignsers? And to close their eyes tightly to reasons for pulling the plug?

There has to be a big turnover in that department.

I think the number of people leaving is more. I hope so.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 12:56AM by kathleen.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 01:44AM

Yes.

Many resign [Mormonism itself,is LOST, and leads astray those whol'll l follow]! Certainly over a hundred thousand a year this past decade, especially these past 5-6+ years. Many more don't go, don't believe (the BS) [bland sainthood], don't care or even consider calling themselves Mormon, so, count them too.

Look at the numbers. Average 60% inactive-xxx-member. A few million have left since its inception. They can't plug all the holes; it's sinking! It's a dirty, rotten excuse for a 'church'.

Yes, it has.

Posted by: A Reader ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 02:10AM

In 2004, the Church completed a two year study they commissioned through BYU to determine the number of active members worldwide.

The total number of active members came to 4.5 Million. The study was confidential, but it was surreptitiously leaked to the Salt Lake Tribune who published it.

I have seen the study, and it was placed in the Tribune archives for some time. I think the Church threatened or took legal against the Trib because that study doesn't seem to be available anymore.

John Dehlin used it in one of his early videos, but he has taken that video off of YouTube - possibly because of legal threats.

But there you have it ... Only 4.5 million active worldwide in 2004.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 05:44AM

I'm calling BS. I read the Trib and am interested in this topic. I recall no such article. Nor would they remove an article from their archives. They certainly weren't shy about writing about the MormonLeaks disclosures a few weeks ago.

They'd consider a lawsuit over disclosing information like that as good publicity.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 09:37AM

http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref=/ci_2890645

"David G. Stewart Jr. estimates worldwide activity at about 35 percent - which would give the church about 4 million active members.

Stewart, an active Mormon who served a mission to Russia in the early 1990s, has been conducting research on LDS missionary work in 20 countries for 13 years, examining census figures, and analyzing published data."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 09:38AM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 01:39PM

Ah, graçias. A split decision. There was an article, and it was not removed.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 04:24AM

Mormon church threats to use legal actions against those who distribute accurate but disparaging information about them, is reminicent of what the church of scientology does under similar circumstances. It's a sign that the foundations of their scam is starting to crumble. Eventually abuses of this type by the church comes bacck to bite them with a vengence. All at once, a huge list appears with instances of church initiated lawsuits against its victems, and it becomes common public knowledge that the church will sue anyone who says bad things about them. At that point, they take a huge loss of credibility with the public, who sees them as a cult. So keep it up Tommy, we'll watch the church's self descruction from the sidelines.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 05:46AM

I've heard numbers as high as 200,000, but that might include people who simply go inactive.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 06:03AM

In more practical terms, the LDS church has lost about 75% of all members it has ever baptized. It's just that most of those don't show their faces. I baptized several on my mission who could not say no, but once baptized, would not allow contact. That's how most of Kolobia is. So whether or not people actually resign, only 25-30% actually occasionally darken the door of church. Among those, there are varying degrees of activity, huge numbers of them never holding positions or doing anything. As a relevant church, the Mormons have failed quite miserably. Now, money and wealth are a totally different thing...

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 08:11AM

My guess is that most exmormons do not go through the formal process of resignation. Given that in most high growth countries (e.g., South America and Africa) have the highest inactivity rates; and, that recently baptized members come from other faith traditions and don't see leaving the cult as a "big deal" because locally Mormonism is fringe and there is no cultural consequence for leaving.

My guess is that we formally resigned exmos are often emotionally driven for a cathartic resignation process, because most of us were life-long members who were acculturated, and thus suffered a great deal when leaving the church.

I bet less than 10% of exmos actually resign.

2 cents.

HH =)

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 08:18AM

LDS church membership numbers are as auditable and verifiable as are its financials, and that is not at all.

Who knows what the impact is. More, who knows how many "members" there are or what goes into that 15 million figure.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 01:12PM

I resigned in 2007, so I was among those.

As others said, it's all funny numbers. When I was a branch president during my mission, we had people on the member list, who we were never able to find and certainly never found at church. So you have a lot of people still on a list somewhere, but who don't identify as Mormon.

Posted by: scotchipman ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 02:42PM

Great resource for LDS Membership statistics at http://www.fullerconsideration.com/membership.php According to this site it looks to be in the 70,000 range a year for the last 10+ years.

Posted by: scotchipman ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 02:48PM

More great statistics at http://www.mormonism101.com/search/label/Facts%20%26%20Stats and http://roundelmike.com/2015/04/lds-mormon-church-statistics-2015/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 02:50PM by scotchipman.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.