Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 11:24AM

saw a little of the video from Jason Chaffetz' town hall meeting with his constituents last night.

all is not right in Zion.

Surprised that so many ferret-danglers would shout at their elected official telling him to "do your job!"

Is this unusual for those hieing to Kolob, or are people just becoming more brazen in the face of unrighteous authority?

Is his district pretty solid uber-tbm or does it encompass some dissenters?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 11:33AM

"Is his district pretty solid uber-tbm or does it encompass some dissenters?"

A LOT of dissenters. His district has been one of the most heavily gerrymandered in the country. He couldn't get elected in SLC, so he has about 25% SLC then Utah County & rural mormon towns all the way down to the Arizona border. Most Salt Lake County voters hate having that Provo Putz representing (or misrepresenting) them.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 12:12PM

Tim Curry could sue him.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 02:48PM

Like StillAnon, he's my representative in Congress, and even though I'm generally up to speed on politics--one of my current "drugs of choice"--I don't do much locally other than cast a symbolic ballot.

Pat Bagley--who spoke at our Exmormon Conference last fall--nailed it again with this one...

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/4900075-155/bagley-cartoon-punxsutawney-chaffetz

Posted by: AnonNowatthemoment ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 04:04PM

Funny you mention Chaffetz's home base! He was overheard on his way out of the SLC town-hall meeting (he ducked out 40 minutes early) telling an aide that he would "never do one of these outside of Provo again."

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 02:03PM

You better tell the newbies in the crowd what a ferret-dangler is, and why.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 02:03PM

Poor ferrets!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 04:57PM

I am pretty sure a lot of liberals showed up because they were mad.I suspect many of those protesting didnt vote for him in the first place..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 11:33PM by bona dea.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 07:10PM

Colbert called Chaffetz the Seductive Beaver, which I'm stealing.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 07:20PM

Here's a followup article about The Beav.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=43144461&nid=148

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 08:53PM

Well, now the spin, of course, is that the rabble rousers there were shipped in from out of state. Right. haha

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 09:03PM

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 10:11PM

It's important to have flexibility. Mormons know this.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 12:40PM

"Alternative Facts"

That should be the subtitle for the BoM.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 10:56PM

As Bedknob said that there are No LDS gays, C.nuts says that there are no 'Radicals' Utah/his district;

So, he's following the binary pattern set by LDS & D.T.

No Surprise there, 'eh?

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 12:28AM

A loud and unrully mob to say the least!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 02:36PM

why is Chaffetz not in prison ?

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 01:03AM

Probably for the same reason you and I aren't locked up.

Posted by: WestBerkeleyFlats ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 02:48PM

Actual DC residents have despised Chaffetz for years, given that he wants to take away their limited home rule. He's trying to prevent DC from having the reasonable assisted suicide law that it passed for itself.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/news/article/13039626/meet-jason-chaffetz

Posted by: gheco ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 03:41PM

I think that could be described as a hostile audience.

It would be great to General Conference go like that.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 10:33PM

gheco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think that could be described as a hostile
> audience.
>
> It would be great to General Conference go like
> that.

Wouldn't it!

That would be the only reason I'd present.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 10:58PM

If your base is of one sort and you get hammered by another sort, your base solidifies. I think that town hall meeting, widely televised, bolsters Chaffetz's position with the right.

Posted by: AnonNowatthemoment ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 12:19AM

Maybe so, but.... Don't go gentle into that dark Right!

Anyway, it's his party's fault for "cracking" SLC to divide up its Democratic vote among majority-Republican congressional districts, so the Provo Putz has a safe seat, but a permanently aggrieved minority, who are treated like Shia believers inside a Sunni Muslim country as in the other gerrymandered districts.

Members of which SLC minority, he now claims are "not from Utah." And also "paid protestors." Based on no evidence.

Date: February 12, 2017 01:55AM

I just don't want us to go into that night at all.

Sad as it is to say, a permanently aggrieved minority can be a source of strength to a dominant force. Every so often they bait the bear, then tell their followers that the animal is a real threat. That keeps the followers in line. So although the leaders might sometimes want to cage the bear, its presence is useful.

In this sense the comedians' assaults on the powers that be are a useful weapon--better, perhaps, than raging liberals at a town hall. Fragile governments and fragile leaders fear ridicule more than almost anything else; and it is entirely possible that personnel changes will ensue. Along with an independent judiciary, this is a powerful break on the power of those who would overthrow the constitution.

My hope, however, is that at some point intelligent opposition leaders will develop a coherent political counter-strategy to complement the judiciary, the comedians, and the rightfully angry. Then perhaps the lights will not go out.

A lot of this applies to Mormonism, too, of course. The futility of rage without focus, the utility of comic ridicule, and the need for a focused strategy, or strategies, for protecting people from abuse: the church too is a fragile and vulnerable political organization. In neither case do I think we have to reconcile ourselves to a nighttime existence.

So please keep the lights on!

Date: February 12, 2017 01:07AM

Date: February 12, 2017 01:58AM

Do you have any reason to believe that this happened in the town hall meeting with Chaffetz?

I don't think it did. I believe, subject to better evidence, that the rage in Utah was genuine.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 02:19AM

Republicans & Right-Wing Tea Partiers are "organized" & "funded" too!

You're suggesting that's a concern???

Date: February 12, 2017 02:35AM

No, I have no conclusive evidence that this wasn't genuine grassroots outrage even though Chaffetz claimed it was. I personally don't follow Utah politics very closely and haven't followed Chaffetz record.

I am responding to a trend in this election cycle towards unrully activists, many trending towards violence and some of which are organized to disrupt.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 02:37AM

Oh; you're referring to the "unruly people" who destroyed private property ... Boston Tea Party, eh?

Date: February 12, 2017 05:18PM

If they were agitators from out of state, he needs to.prove it and so far we have nothing but hisword.

Date: February 12, 2017 04:24PM

The Boston Tea Party resulted from a "long list of grievances" which in sum total amounted to the lack of freedom to conduct their own affairs independant of the dictates of the corrupt money interests i.e. the East India Trading Copany. One of their primary grievances was taxation without representation.

We have representation in this country which we all just took part in. I don't remember a conservative movement going around breaking windows and setting fire to things when they lost an election.

I take issue with corruption in government which there is plenty of in both parties. I can name a long list of grievences as it relates to corruption and it is bipartisan.

Date: February 12, 2017 05:17PM

Many of the Founders considered the Boston tea Party to be vandalism and nothing less

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 05:32PM

The town hall meeting, though not going well for Chaffetz, certainly was not vandalism.

The consevatives like to point at vandalism, and percieved lawlessness which the hypocrisy is shocking.

Much ado over trash left by Standing Rock protesters. How about a little attention over the messes left by mineral extraction, nonreturnable beverage and grocery containers, and animal production facilities? Of course this does not include the bigeer mess left by the hedge funds, investment banks, and insurance companies.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 08:27PM

Wasn't this the meeting where he said he had to vote for Trump because their was no alternative. Really righteous Mormons in Utah just can't admit they like Trump.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.