Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 05:48PM

https://www.facebook.com/iTrustScienceMoreThanReligion/videos/395054620849257/

Why is there something rather than nothing?
Why does the universe exist at all?

Why is irrelevant. The question is how.

So how then? How is there something rather than nothing?
Is there a prime mover?

Outside of science and nature, no.
Look, Atheism is only rejecting the claim that there is a God.
This is atheism in a nutshell,
You say there is a God.
I ask if you can prove it.
You say, "No."
I say, "Then I don't believe you."
You believe in God right?

Well, in 3 personages, but yeah, go ahead.

So there are 3,000 to choose from. You believe in one of them, but you don't believe in the other 2,999 of them. I only doubt the existence of one more of them than you, so the difference between me and you is almost nothing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2017 05:51PM by koriwhore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 06:23PM

That presumes that believers want to persuade atheists. I don't, and I'm sure there are many others. I don't feel any particular need to prove that God exists. If you or anyone else does not believe in God, that's fine by me. I don't feel that I need to prove anything.

As for which God, that's a good question. Perhaps the God that is beyond our understanding.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 10:54PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That presumes that believers want to persuade
> atheists. I don't, and I'm sure there are many
> others.

But there are many others who DO want to persuade atheists. And there are even more who just want atheists to not exist.

Don't forget there are theists who want to persuade other theists to be only a certain variety of theist.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 07:24PM

Koriwhore,

Could you feel the public hatred projected towards Gervaise - this member of the most hated group - atheists? :)

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 12:32PM

Totally.
It's an irrational vestige of the Red Scare. Many Americans are stuck in the McCarthy Era.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 10:59PM

That which we do not yet understand is not magic or superstition. Religious people said the plague was a curse for human misbehavior. We now know it was a hygiene problem. "God" has never done anything that hasn't already been replicated in a lab or will be with advances in technology. the universe is entirely open to us. Screw this doorman God with his secrets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2017 10:59PM by donbagley.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 11:41PM

yup. And Colbert is some kind of pious roman cathoholic.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 09:25AM

Poor Stephen just won't accept "We don't know."
Why is there something rather than nothing?
Why does the universe exist?
Why does Stephen Colbert exist?

We don't know. Yet.

Colbert (and billions of others): That's not acceptable! I must have an answer! If your science can't tell me, I'll make up an answer, because I have to have an answer even if it's complete fantasy!

Sad.

Posted by: Anonish ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 10:35AM

You are all underestimating Colberts intellect and the fact that he plays a roll for comedy. I doubt he is a Republican or a Catholic.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 11:07AM

Anonish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You are all underestimating Colberts intellect and
> the fact that he plays a roll for comedy. I doubt
> he is a Republican or a Catholic.

No, actually, we're not.
You, however, seem to be confusing Colbert on his previous show, where he pretended to be a republican, with the actual person (and his "genuine" persona on his current show).

Colbert isn't a republican. He *is* a catholic. A believing one.
I appreciate his intellect, he's quite smart. However, his intellect fails him on this subject.

Posted by: Amos90 ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 11:27AM

On Colbert's assertion that believing in [the big bang] is just "faith" in scientist's claims...

There's specific evidence that the observed universe resulted from a compressed point around 15 billion years ago. I think Colbert is conflating mind-bogglingness with faith. The Big Bang is mind boggling, so it seems like it would need as much faith as other mind-boggling assertions, but the difference is there is objective evidence.

Daniel Dennett says mind-bogglingness is a false test of how much faith it takes, because, and I think this is so good...the existence of God and no god are both equally mind-boggling. The universe is mind-boggling, and saying God created it actually doesn't solve the mind boggle. How was God created?

But Colbert shows his cards when he says he not only believes in a god but in "three personages"...no doubt referring to the Trinity. practically invariably, someone defending the general necessity of there being a god is ulteriorly promoting their own personal, sectarian God by name.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.