Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Programmed ( )
Date: February 16, 2017 12:11AM

Even Christ drank wine.
Apparently even He wasn't temple-worthy.

More Doublethink in the LDS church (See 1984 by Orwell).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: February 16, 2017 12:15AM

Did he give 10% of his earnings, as a carpenter, to the Levites?
Did he have any unresolved family issues (one of the Gospels mentions his own family once thought he was insane)?
Did he have a testimony of Joseph Smith and the restored Gospel?
Did he associate with any known apostates?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 16, 2017 03:15AM

He has more than one piercing.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: February 17, 2017 07:53AM

+1 :)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 17, 2017 09:04AM

Perfect rejoinder.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: February 17, 2017 11:22PM

I'm ripping this off, repeating it, and taking credit for it a.s.a.p.

Posted by: Anonculous ( )
Date: February 17, 2017 05:47PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did he give 10% of his earnings, as a carpenter,
> to the Levites?

Nope. Cash wages weren't tithed back then;only crops and flocks.

Posted by: overit ( )
Date: February 16, 2017 04:35AM

re Jesus drank wine: I was taught that it was just grape juice not fermented or alcoholic and he did not change it because they wanted alcohol at the wedding, they changed it beause the water was impure. #mormonmythno324

Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: February 16, 2017 01:54PM

overit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> re Jesus drank wine: I was taught that it was just
> grape juice not fermented or alcoholic and he did
> not change it because they wanted alcohol at the
> wedding, they changed it beause the water was
> impure. #mormonmythno324

Fermentation was how they preserved grape juice in hot regions of the world with no refrigeration. Of course it had alcohol because that was the chemical that preserved it. The water probably was impure in many places (though most people then probably drank it anyway) but they also needed an alternate sources of liquid that would last over periods of time. The wine that Jesus turned the water into was a fine wine which surprised the guests since the finest wine was served at the beginning of the meal and the lesser wine later when the effects of the wine caused the guests not to notice the downgrade in the drink.

Even the elements of the story tell us the facts of the matter. Mormons find a need to change the facts to conform with the latest rules. The fact is that JS was known to drink alcohol and he installed a bar in the Nauvoo Hotel while Emma was away ('cause she didn't want one in their hotel). We could start a second list of how JS wouldn't be worthy of TR.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: February 16, 2017 05:27AM

He criticized his leaders and called them full of dead men's bones and a dead sepulchre, same as us talking about the morg. And he wore sandals!

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: February 16, 2017 12:24PM

There is great irony in how pharisaical the church is now. They would absolutely reject a figure like Jesus Christ. Mormonism understands so little, and they would not (DO not) understand that certain things don't matter so much in the context of obeying the spirit of the law versus the letter of the law, which was Jesus's main complaint against the Pharisees. 'tut-tut! No pulling an ass out of the pit on the Sabbath! No Healing The Sick and blind on the Sabbath, either!'

Mormons are exactly the same now, except instead of saving donkeys and healing the blind, it's about scorning people for spending money on Sunday, or paying rent or buying groceries and before paying tithing, or not paying their tithing the way a certain Bishop seems to feel the way a person should (can't believe the amount of insane stories I've heard here about that; i.e., sitting down with the Bishop for an audit to ensure someone has paid a full tithe). And let's not forget all the insane Cork's and Hangups Mormons have about sexual mores and what kind of clothing is appropriate. Same Pharisees, just two thousand years later.

Just like the stated examples, the morg is all about obeying nit picky, specific, asinine, arbitrary, stupid, and often times made up on the spot rules. It's a religion/cult of mindless adherence and leader worship. Members are supposed to treat the 15 as flawless 'Gods in embryo' who would never lead you astray.

Too bad that just by falling for some missionaries line about forever families, clean living, or having the fullness of the gospel, one would already have been led astray.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2017 12:41PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: dodo ( )
Date: February 16, 2017 03:05PM

Didn't Jesus seek the company of prostitutes? I wonder what my Bishop would have thought about me had he seen me hanging with some hot tail who was known to trade pleasure for coin.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 17, 2017 08:30AM

Mormons jump through all kinds of impossible hoops to explain that Jebus did not drink wine, but "pure fruit of the vine." There's a difference. Somehow. But most of us will agree that the Bible says wine because it was wine. Now, what qualified as wine then is somewhat different now, but it still made you drunk if you drank enough of it. And no matter its quality, it was safer than water, but had more value as a celebratory drink. When Mormons jump through all those hoops to somehow grandfather the Word of Wisdom back to Jebus, they look like idiots.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: February 17, 2017 03:35PM

Mormons are not alone in this. I've heard fundamentalist pastors deliver insanely extrapolated sermons trying to convince people that "wine" did not contain alcohol. If that's the case, why does the Bible admonish against drinking too much, and also has stories of people that were drunk.

The wine contained alcohol, end of story! As cludgie said, people who try to say otherwise look like idiots.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 17, 2017 09:56PM

I always wondered how well he would do as a mormon or if he would say screw this like I have, and there ain't no way he's getting in that temple

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.