Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 03:35AM

Not sure what I did but hes been ruthless these last few days both on television and on the internet if I vote next time can we quit making a big deal out of everything? I really am sorry didn't realize things were still such a big deal.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Topped ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 03:43AM

Posted by: Maude ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 10:18PM
Too Partisan, People.

Please tone down the party politics. Eric explained he would allow some politics - if the topic is related to Mormonism, by the originating poster. That is not happening. And we're veering more and more into discussing current US politics only. The very thing we have wanted to avoid for RfM's life to date.

RfM is for the purpose of helping people learn about Mormonism and to get their questions answered regarding the Mormon church and religion in general.

The politics is an experiment.

Likely a short-lived one.

Posted by: anonforthisonetwo ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 12:38PM

that may be the purpose but it ain't happening....

Date: February 20, 2017 03:53AM

Probably not the best time to experiment as things keep escalating on the news and the talk shows right now.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 09:03AM

That may be the *best* time to "experiment..."

You didn't offend any imaginary politics gods. Elections are always contentious, post-election terms nearly always contentious, and congressional mid-terms are always contentious. This is nothing new, though the specific details are different.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 10:09AM

I like the experiment because I find it hard not to discuss things political. I remember back to Truman being president and never have we seen what we see now. I am even considering Canada. I am especially appreciative of Steve's recent posts

Date: February 20, 2017 10:26AM

rhgc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember back to
> Truman being president and never have we seen what
> we see now.

https://www.google.com/search?q=anti-truman+cartoons&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS707US707&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=974&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjyhuXu_Z7SAhUE7yYKHXZ_C7MQ7AkIKg#imgrc=_

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 12:12PM

This isn't necessarily political, but an observation that you are either racist or not racist and the huge divide that it is causing.

This is also a human experience story as immigrants are fleeing the States coming to Canada in increasing numbers, doubling and tripling. They are crossing the border on foot in the cold and snow, with their children. Canadian farmers are seeing them and giving them food and a warm up.

This is about Canadian schools cancelling field trips to the States for fear of border issues because our students are very multicultural.

Toronto and Ontario are very very multicultural, with Toronto being the most multicultural city on the planet, so the racist hate that is spewing is extremely offensive to us.

There are many news stories on TV as we see the Muslim refugees being so grateful for their new Canadian country and the outpouring of assistance and clothes from different people and organizations. But then we hear next in the news criticism of countries like Germany and Sweden that have taken in more than their fair share of refugees.

That is the complete opposite of our ideals and culture.

A person is a person regardless of skin colour and country if origin

Posted by: amazed ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 08:53PM

Your sincerity 'sounds' so good however====,

Hope you realize you are not speaking for all 'Canadians' ----- north of the US border.

Though a majority (Canadians) still support the government’s handling of refugees, fully 25 percent now favor a Trump-style travel ban and 41 percent say Canada is accepting too many refugees. Just 11 percent of Canadians say the country needs to accept more refugees.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2017/02/20/canadians-turning-against-trudeaus-open-door-refugee-policy/#ixzz4ZHOkyTUQ

Hopefully, actual 'facts' do not burst your 'liberal Canadian bubble'! Many support a 'ban' like Trump suggested. Are these Canadians 'racist' and 'complete opposite of our (Canadian) ideals and culture'?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 08:57PM by amazed.

Posted by: kvothe ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 03:29PM

Considering Canada?

Why not Mexico? :)

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 08:44PM

I'll second that, Mexico is a great country with wonderful weather towards the south (in the mountains). Certain people (in the media) are pointing fingers saying their is too many racist people, and how could we vote in such a way, when they are the ones most racist ones of all. It's really quite exasperating.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 08:57PM

The thing I think everyone should realize is that politics is religion in action. What we believe manifests itself in the way we vote and live our lives with our morals in society. How we relate to the world we live in. Politics is even more visible than religion.

Politics can't really be banned, posters will just use different words but the meanings and perspectives are always there in the posts if you carefully read them.

But if it makes everyone happy we can get rid of the words Republican, Democrat, and Donald Trump. And then there is no more politics? (sarcasm)

Date: February 20, 2017 10:25PM

I think people want to be talking politics way more than religious topics and its been shown here give the green light and people will start firing.

Posted by: de ja vue ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 10:28AM

I do appreciate seeing the views of everyone and have learned considerable in the time since the bands were loosened. However,I found it interesting that right after the ban from politics on this board took place, there was an admonition from one poster to cease its implementation immediately. When that did not work, they became one of the most vocal abusers making posts that were provoking and made no pretense of being anything but political.

wa

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 10:29AM

The apes are screeching more loudly than usual. If you don't like the monkey house, why not go watch the giraffes?

Date: February 20, 2017 03:37PM

It's getting ridiculous and I usually don't care about such things I feel like I'm dealing with my little sister and a thousand of her friends nonstop, if you guys are so passionate about all this why didn't you run for office.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 01:03PM

I have run for office and I have been elected.

Date: February 21, 2017 05:17PM

What position are you?

Date: February 21, 2017 05:23PM

I think mentally people are giving him that power over them just my opinion though.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 11:23AM

I tend to skip those posts, but they tend to dominate leaving no opening for mormon recovery discussions. I think the politics tends to discourage new coming from reading or posting which is unfortunate for those trying to leave.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 11:37AM

If you think that the political ones dominate over the religious ones and are squeezing them out, please demonstrate the accuracy of your claim by doing a mathematical count of both categories and reporting back with the results.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 11:39AM by steve benson.

Date: February 20, 2017 03:43PM

Not lately the political posts are being disguised as religious posts to seem passable, any argument against trump is not religious I'm sorry no one is buying it and I'm not going to make an exact count I just know the number is WAY higher than normal I know this cause I'm laid up right now and can't do much but read.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 03:48PM by badassadam.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 11:34AM

I agree with what Cheryl wrote above. I haven't enjoyed this experiment.

There's another problem. I've been on the board for some time now and have enjoyed reading peoples posts, have watched some people post thoughtful and helpful advice to newcomers or those who are dealing with various problems... But on the political posts, those same people can have very different and strong views that are opposite to what I'd have expected. The threads become quickly heated and I read posts from people that in the past I have admired to now suddenly can't think of without knowing their, views on politics. It taints the way I read their posts now, which for a site about Recovering from Mormonism, I don't want to have to deal with sifting through people's political thoughts as well.

While I know that there are a lot of discussions about religion, that can become heated and argumentative, I can see that as part of recovering from the LDS church... Dealing with people's politics is a harder thing for me to link to a recovery site. Maybe if this was a general discussion board, and I know I'm not the admin, they can do as they wish of coarse, but to me, this site always had a strong purpose to help people recover from the church, and now that purpose seems to be muddied with political debate.

Date: February 20, 2017 11:40AM

If you don't want to participate in the political posts and don't participate in them.

If you were trying to ban political posts for your own personal reasons, then you are attempting to impose restrictions on those who like wish to read and/or participate in such posts.

Admin has stated that political postings are permissible as long as they are religiously oriented. If they are not religiously oriented, they can be deleted by either Admin discovering them to its own monitoring of the board, or by you and/or others reporting them to the moderators.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 11:47AM by steve benson.

Date: February 20, 2017 11:43AM

Thanks for that helpful response. It addressed all my concerns.

I get it you like the political threads, that's obvious. I stated my opinion. If you don't like it, you don't have to read it.

Date: February 20, 2017 11:50AM

You put it up for observation and, I would assume, feedback.

If you don't like or want feedback, then you can do one of two things:

1. Don't post, or

2. Don't read feedback to what you post.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 11:52AM by steve benson.

Date: February 20, 2017 11:55AM

Wait, did you not like the feedback I gave you? Who said I didn't want or expect it? Were you surprised that I replied? (It is an internet board after all, if you're going to post, you have to expect that.)

Feel free not to read this :)

Oh, and thanks for editing your post so, adding a different context. (- ETA: Never mind, this was just a case of both of us typing at the same time, as you explain below.)

I know how the internet works. I know that if I don't want to read something, I don't have to.

Also, where have I "impose(ed) restrictions on those who like wish to read and/or participate in such posts." All I did was state my opinion. That's it. Are you trying to restrict my ability to express my opinion? Sounds like you're trying to impose restrictions on those who have opinions different than you.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 12:30PM by Finally Free!.

Date: February 20, 2017 12:15PM

You post, I respond. I respond, you post.

Or you can ignore what I post. I'm not ignoring what you post.

P.S.: I edited--or perhaps more accurately, was editing--my post before you responded and before I saw your response. I don't do after-response editing to change the context of my post in terms of how you responded to it. Quit assuming.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 12:28PM by steve benson.

Date: February 20, 2017 12:29PM

Steve, you're fun to spare with... You realize that we could continue to go back and forth basically telling each other that I'm OK with you expressing your opinion and that you don't have to read mine. I was joking and was sarcastic with my initial response (eta: to Steve), because obviously, I don't have to read what I dont' want to. That's something that's been stated multiple times a day on this board, I'm all to familiar with that concept. I'm sorry if the sarcasm and joke wasn't clear.

"I'm not ignoring what you post." I do take this as a complement that you take what I write seriously enough not ignore it. I hope you realize the fact that I'm not ignoring you is because I do respect your opinion. I do enjoy your posts and enjoy looking up your politician cartoons. We can disagree with political posts on the board and I can choose to read them or not, commenting or not depending on my mood. I'm good with that.

As for your editing of your post, sounds like that was just poor timing in our viewing and editing. You'll note, I edited mine too, so I'm familiar with how that works, and I do appreciate that sometimes things like that can happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 12:33PM by Finally Free!.

Date: February 20, 2017 12:30PM

And I don't mind if you edit.

Hell, I just edited in a :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 12:32PM by steve benson.

Date: February 20, 2017 12:35PM

quit complaining?!? But... This is the internet... Isn't that what it was invented for? :)

Date: February 20, 2017 12:39PM

Posted by: anonforthisonetwo ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 12:46PM

It's hard/impossible when you can't engage in a meaning discussion with another poster. This page is labeled "Discussion Forum". What good is a Discussion Forum when other posters hijack it with arguing...

And you won't get in the last word....

Date: February 20, 2017 12:50PM

And that's not "the last word." That's a question. I'll let you have the last word--even if it is anonymous for this one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 12:50PM by steve benson.

Date: February 20, 2017 05:01PM

Quit pitter pattering with each other its a little weird but what do I know

Date: February 20, 2017 04:55PM

They start religiously oriented maybe but it does not play out that way as the thread goes it turns into a personal attack on trump that arent religious so all we see is trump hate over and over. And anybody can read what they want if they think the topic interests them but when its just bashing an old guy trying to do a difficult job in the white house I don't think that should be on the board, if I bashed other presidents I would probably get crucified on here and I already have gotten crucified for other topics on here so whats fair is fair. So if you say trump has a mental illness I want to know the name of it put some teeth behind the claim and put it to rest you don't dish out mental illness lightly not where I'm from.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 12:34PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 03:12PM

I think the political posts are fine as long as they are directly related to Mormonism. Some that have been posted are only very marginally related to Mormonism. They feel forced.

Date: February 20, 2017 09:04PM

Mormonism/religion that have some kind of political content, as long as that content is germane to Mormonism or to other religions.

Religious principles, issues and events from other sects that are not directly Mormon still have bearing on, and relevance to, Mormonism since many religions share common touchpoints as well as significant differences, both of which can, and should be, explored, in my opinion.

Moreover, people who are leaving Mormonism are often inclined to talk about other religions as they search for something different than Mormonism. That, therefore, involves comparing and contrasting.

I think that all of this is within discussion/debating bounds, but I ain't Admin.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 09:21PM by steve benson.

Date: February 20, 2017 08:02PM

What's interesting is that it appears there have been about as many posts complaining about "political" posts as there have been political posts.

Just an observation.

Date: February 20, 2017 08:13PM

Not really I've been laid up all weekend so I've been reading all the nonstop trump is mentally ill threads not by choice I need something to keep my mind active right now so I'm reading all threads and people hate trump more than Joseph Smith at this point.

Date: February 20, 2017 08:20PM

badassadam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> people hate trump more than Joseph Smith at
> this point.

Oohh...tough call. :)

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 08:31PM

Trump is alot better known. Most people dont caare onewY r the otherabout JS

Date: February 20, 2017 08:38PM

True

Date: February 20, 2017 08:26PM

Haha you know its true, trump has js beat right now with a lot of people from what I've read and even what I see on television. I actually don't know how it happened but the hate is definitely on that level.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.